PDA

View Full Version : Help! Dying Anemone?

martinje4
04/05/2017, 10:03 AM
Help!
I purchased what I thought was a fairly healthy anemone last Thursday from a local seller, but it seems all but healthy now!

At first he seemed to be settled in on the side corner of my tank, but I decided to move him in order for him to receive more light. I knew by his white-ish color that was probably bleached, but I have purchased bleached anemones form the same source before and have been able to successfully keep them.
I feel like he is on death bed due to what seems like the disintegration of his tentacles and his insides making an appearance. However he doesn't have the 'odor of death' on him.
I have tried to feed him small krill and he didn't seem to take them (one occasion was a definite no go, the other I am not positive if he ate it or not.)

I feel like it is not a matter of my params because I have another anemone thriving in my tank (although not bleached).......

I need some type of input pleaseee

martinje4
04/05/2017, 10:13 AM
The lighting on my tank is:
A pair of t5 54 watts (one blue plus, one aquablue)
A Marineland LED reef strip (has 14,000K 1 Watt day bulbs and 460NM 1 Watt lunar bulbs.)
Each light is 45 inch in diameters for my 75 gal tank.

humphreyhh
04/05/2017, 10:50 AM
Well... That looks like a sebae anemone again (sorry I just saw another post of a dying sebae anemone).

My input:
- Sebae is a hard anemone to keep. Dont try it unless you are very confident.
- No, yours is not bleached. It's a healthy colored sebae but just not doing well in your tank.
- i didn't pay attention to your lighting setup because inadequate lighting is not going to "kill" anemone this fast so your anemone is not "killed" by your light but unsuitable tank environment.
- Please keep doing regular testing. Your tank is not ready for this fragile anemone.
- your anemone is dying. It can nuke your tank if you don't take it out. I know it's sad, I'm sorry...

Could you tell us a little about your tank? Size, age and animals in it?

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

martinje4
04/05/2017, 11:01 AM
I actually already have another Sebae living in the tank....

I have a 75 gal tank with I would guess-timate over 25 lbs of live rock, and crushed shell bedding. The material in the tank came from my previous 90 gal tank that sprung a leak on me. The materials in it are well over 1 year old, with a well established cycle.

The tank inhabits 2 clowns, 1 yellow-tipped damsel, 1 blue damsel, 1 red firefish, 1 small watchmen goby, 1 mandarin dragonette, 1 engineer goby, a large bundle of pulsing xenia, about a 6" sebae, 1 tuxedo sea urchin, 1 brittle star, and small asterina stars.

martinje4
04/05/2017, 11:05 AM
And my yellow tang! I don't know how I forgot him!

humphreyhh
04/05/2017, 11:25 AM
Well hmm... thats a beautiful healthy sebae anemone in your tank!

....see...I didn't know about your tank before I answered and I was just a little sad from answering another post... I have to apologize, your tank is fine.

... ok then it could be that you got a sick anemone since you already have one in the tank? 🤔

martinje4
04/05/2017, 11:31 AM
I mean what sucks is that he seemed fine at the pet store before I purchased him...I am slightly contributing it to how the handler got him out of the tank, but I don't want to assume things.

I just hate that he isn't probably gonna make it.

humphreyhh
04/05/2017, 11:37 AM
Yeah it doesn't look good at all.

I was thinking of the handling process too. Did you notice any tear on the foot when they get it? That could be an issue too and sometimes it is not easy to notice. My haddoni had a tear in the foot when they got it out from their tank (Petco…you know). But I was happy it recovered.

martinje4
04/05/2017, 11:42 AM
I didn't notice any tear, but she very hurriedly scooped it up (its was getting close to closing, and she seemed not very attentive).
I have removed him from my tank though, he has actually inverted himself more and so I didn't want to risk the rest of the tank....

humphreyhh
04/05/2017, 11:51 AM
You know what... Now I'm thinking since she can "scoop it up" fast, then the anemone must be newly arrived in store so it was not fully attached. The stress of being moved twice and adjusting to two new environments in such a fast manner can totally make it ill...

I'm very sorry for your loss. It's a pain to see an animal to go like this. 😭

martinje4
04/05/2017, 11:53 AM
Its okay! My students at least have enjoyed looking at it's dying process and learning about, so I guess there is something beneficial coming from it!

humphreyhh
04/05/2017, 12:00 PM
Yeah, you did what you can do. Your tank is lovely anyway. Keep up the good work!

kissman
04/05/2017, 01:03 PM
Need more light! 108 watts are not enough PAR for a nem. Old rule of thumb is 6watts per gallon minimum.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WatDatThing
04/05/2017, 01:51 PM
You could have caused some damage when you moved him from where he settled initially.

raythepilot
04/08/2017, 07:55 PM
I cannot tell for sure what kind of nem you have but it is in really bad shape.
For a nem to invert like that there are two possible causes. One bad water, which is most likely, and two is a bacterial infection.
From the pic of your tank there seems to be a rose colored BTA in the front. Is that the nem in question?