PDA

View Full Version : New to reefing

tescalante
04/05/2017, 03:29 PM
First post!! Any advice would be great.

I'm looking to purchase the Innovative Marine Nuvo 40 gallon aquarium.
What would be your top choice for lighting, protein skimmers etc. I normally like to buy equipment that will help me grow into the hobby, like to do it right the first time.

What are the must needs for someone to be successful and ease of maintaining.

Thanks
Tony

JVan82
04/05/2017, 03:30 PM
Neptune apex! Love mine, I'd go with ecotech marine mp10s for WaveMaker and their radion lights. Innovative marine makes a great skimmer specific to their tanks.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

nursedude
04/05/2017, 06:32 PM
I have Tunze turbella nano streams and they are great power heads, and a Tunze osmolator 3155 is a solid ATO.

zsuman101
04/05/2017, 06:56 PM
watch brstv, especially the brs160 series. im a radion user but am very expierienced, if you are smart and want the greatest chance for success, go with an ati t5 fixture they are pretty fool proof and proven way to go . its just smart to start with t5s until you get your feet soaked, and they will. it will take years to really understand whats goin on in your reef. the other thing i stress is to buy quality everything as it is cheaper in the long run, which is what reefing is. welcome to hell. and good luck its a blast. zsu

ReeferNoob4ever
04/05/2017, 07:27 PM
Hey Tony,

To me this is the most addicting hobby I have. You're in for a real treat and great learning experience that lasts a lifetime. I just buy pretty much everything from Walmart and petco, so whatever you do don't do that.

I'm recently new as well, and I can tell you that the hardest part for me is to put things in slowly. Right now I'm pushing the limits and that's a recipe for disaster.

Take your time and remember, no equipment can replace sound water testing, changes, and research. Be prepared to make mistakes like everyone does and marvel at your tank! !

Nice to meet you, good luck.
Ian

JUNBUG361
04/05/2017, 08:54 PM
Hey Tony,

To me this is the most addicting hobby I have. You're in for a real treat and great learning experience that lasts a lifetime. I just buy pretty much everything from Walmart and petco, so whatever you do don't do that.

I'm recently new as well, and I can tell you that the hardest part for me is to put things in slowly. Right now I'm pushing the limits and that's a recipe for disaster.

Take your time and remember, no equipment can replace sound water testing, changes, and research. Be prepared to make mistakes like everyone does and marvel at your tank! !

Nice to meet you, good luck.
Ian

Well said

tescalante
04/06/2017, 10:36 AM
Thanks for all the support!

Can't wait to do all the research and start purchasing.

Tony

Stolireef
04/06/2017, 12:07 PM
I know I probably sound like a broken record, but read the stickies at the top of this forum if you haven't already done so. The general reef forum has great stickies as well. I really think they should be required reading for all newbies. They aren't the word of god but they'll serve as a great primer.