PDA

View Full Version : Chest Cooler safe for ATO?

almiller9
04/06/2017, 08:24 PM
I need something larger for ato while out of town for a few days. Will a Coleman chest cooler be safe to use? I can't find anything on the plastic used on the inside.

Yellow_donkey
04/06/2017, 09:22 PM
If it is white plastic and less than 10 years old I would assume it is a food safe 2, 4, 5 number, whichever are the food safe ones, don't remember the numbers. Even without knowing the numbers, I would go for it.

I use currently an 18-gallon clear tote from Target, was on Clearance for $6.00 each, got 3 of them, and use others for some mixing and what not.

If you are unsure run and grab a clear tote with a good plastics number.

For the cooler, just make sure there is no water storage occurring on any portion that is metal, no metal ring at the bottom drain no metal around lip at top, just nowhere. Any metal or any suspect metal, spend the $10 on a tote.

Good luck.

henryle
04/06/2017, 10:03 PM
+1 on the tote.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mishri
04/07/2017, 09:52 AM
you certainly can. Like yellow donkey said, you can also use cheap plastic totes and it's what I frequently use to store water and things in. you can get a 50 gallon one pretty cheap. I don't worry about the # though.. little plastic is good for them, just like natural ocean water is now...