PDA

View Full Version : power outlets

Joe0813
04/08/2017, 10:58 AM
Just wondering what you guys use for power strips... I got two cheapo ones from home depot and they will pop the fuse every now and again

JUNBUG361
04/08/2017, 11:16 AM
I use the same ones(lowes), but haven't blown a fuse yet. Yours might have a internal short or something else causing the fuse to blow

Joe0813
04/08/2017, 11:25 AM
they are old probably 6 years or so.

I just did a search on here and got the tripp lite ones that have the individual switches. I probably should have searched first.

mcgyvr
04/09/2017, 10:33 AM
In reality any power strip will be just fine..
Whats important is to make sure that whatever you get is protected from moisture/salt creep,etc... They can/do corrode and cause fires,etc... if not properly protected/maintained..

I will also say that if you don't already have it I would suggest getting something with GFCI protection to put all your submerged line powered equipment on.
GFCI protection can save your life and alert you to faulty equipment..

Boom215
04/09/2017, 07:54 PM
got this and am a fan. makes turning things on off much easier.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0068LACFI/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

mako61
04/10/2017, 12:14 AM
i got the kill-a-watt from home depot works great buy not cheap

Lmax8rn
04/10/2017, 09:13 AM
got this and am a fan. makes turning things on off much easier.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0068LACFI/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I bought some like that, but they are actually DJ strips. Found them on eBay for $29 each, free shipping. They are like the one you posted a link to but have 8 outlets. Mounted to the top inside of my stand. LOVE THEM!!!

Ron Reefman
04/10/2017, 09:16 AM
I had the DY stip mounted at the top inside my stand and after 6 years they were rusty. If I were to mount anything inside the stand above the refugium, I'd take care to do more regular maintenance.

n2585722
04/10/2017, 03:47 PM
I had the DY stip mounted at the top inside my stand and after 6 years they were rusty. If I were to mount anything inside the stand above the refugium, I'd take care to do more regular maintenance.

I had my stand and canopy setup in the garage with tank in place when I was working on things. I had the sump filled with saltwater with the heater fans and skimmer and a small pump in place of the return pump. The water was just recirculated in the compartments of the sump, but it give me a chanced to check things and try things. The funny thing is the tops of the hinges on the canopy rusted. Also the top every metal surface near the tank in the garage rusted. So protection from exposure is very important. All of the electronics and power outlets are located in compartments that are protected from the sump. So far everything in those compartments are free from corrosion or rust. I do have fans that pull air from outside the stand into the compartments with the power outlets and electronics. The fans for the areas that are exposed to tank water have fans that pull air from those areas out the top of the stand. That way there is some airflow from the compartments with the power outlets and electronics to the area exposed to the tank water. This seems to be working so far. It has only been 2 years since I set it up in the house. Time will tell.

Joe0813
04/12/2017, 12:36 PM
I have two GFCI outlets that I have for the tank. as for the strips they are going on the outside of the tank to keep them from getting salt creep and moisture on them

d0ughb0y
04/12/2017, 02:52 PM
I used to use a dj strip, but since the case is metal, it got completely rusted and one day I started seeing smoke coming out of the dj strip case.

I have since used a plastic power strip.
This is the one I use.
https://www.rakuten.com/prod/229101142.html

It seems way overpriced now. I checked my email, and I only paid $8 for it a couple years ago.

jda
04/12/2017, 06:30 PM
I get powder coated metal ones - Belkin with 10 outlets and 15 foot cord. With the very low humidity here in Colorado, nothing rusts like it did when I was in the midwest, so I am very fortunate now.