PDA

View Full Version : Id please

Cakemoto
04/10/2017, 05:07 PM
Good or bad? Found one in dt and one in sump.thanks

garygonzales
04/10/2017, 05:18 PM
Asterina starfish ..a couple of them arent bad but i think they can out of control... ive heard some even eat zoas....

JUNBUG361
04/10/2017, 08:35 PM
If you see 1 you'll start seeing more. :D

Reef_Chief
04/11/2017, 01:05 AM
You will here different oppinions on wether asterinas will "eat" zoanthids or not. I have had mine for over a year and I've not had it happen yet. I'm sure there are many many different types of asterinas but I'd hazard a guest that the majority do not eat zoanthids from all the testimonys i have read. I have white and i also have blue asterinas and they seem to be a great addition to my cuc. They never stop eating!

Sent from my Lenovo TB3-850F using Tapatalk

Reef_Chief
04/11/2017, 01:06 AM
Excuse my many typo's 😀

Sent from my Lenovo TB3-850F using Tapatalk

Ron Reefman
04/11/2017, 06:07 AM
You may get a real serious 'bloom' of them if there is enough food. But most of the time the population will die back and they aren't a problem... most of the time. I had a smaller bloom. I started getting 20+ on my front glass. So I removed all the ones on the glass one morning. The next morning there were a few less and I removed all of them. I did that for 5 or 6 days and the population has never bounced back up. Now, a year later I still see one or two on the glass and I'm perfectly OK with that.

jlmawp
04/11/2017, 10:06 AM
My only issue with them is that they fill all of my pretty pink coralline with white polka dots :(

Cakemoto
04/12/2017, 06:18 PM
Sounds like a hassle.... they are gone.

billdogg
04/13/2017, 06:11 AM
IMHO they are an important part of your CUC. In the nearly 30 years I've been at this I have yet to have one cause any trouble whatsoever. I go so far as to spread them among my tanks if one system is starting to run low on them.

AlSimmons
04/13/2017, 10:08 AM
I don't trust them.. They're not very attractive and they don't really do much when it comes down to keeping a tank clean IME, plus there's always the chance that they'll decide to eat some of your corals. Until somebody can distinguish the good ones from the bad ones without a doubt I'll continue to treat them all as bad. :thumbdown