PDA

View Full Version : Torch troubleshooting

ktownhero
04/13/2017, 08:23 AM
Hi all,

I have a metallic green torch that I got from Live Aquaria a few months ago. It arrived a nice size with 4 distinct heads. I have had trouble figuring out what it likes this entire time; high flow, low flow, high light, shade... It was very healthy looking for a long time, but then at some point it started retracting pretty consistently throughout the day. Interestingly during that time one of the heads split. I started moving it around thinking it was unhappy and it did eventually drop the polyps off of one of its heads. Now I have 4 heads (3 original and the new one from the split) -- one doesn't look great and barely opens, the other two open up nicely part of the day and then recoil part of the day. It is currently in low flow and low light but doesn't seem to be happy anywhere I put it, including where I had it when it seemed happy before. When I move it, I always give it 4 - 5 days before reassessing its position. I have not noticed any sign of any sort of disease and no animals are bothering it.

Is there any advice on making a torch in this situation happy? I'm really worried about losing it entirely. On the flipside, I have a thick branched frogspawn that has been sitting in higher light and high flow this entire time and happy as a clam. But the torch... It has been tough.

PS - It's on the sandbed (so is the frogspawn I mentioned).

PSS - Here is a picture of the Torch (on the left side) when it was looking pretty healthy. Now only 2 of those heads ever really extend, and not that far -- and they do retract throughout the day. But one of them is technically 2 now because, like I said, it split :)

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f57/ktownhero/IMG_20170331_165705.jpg

anthonys51
04/13/2017, 08:41 AM
Torches hammer all adopt well to many different light intensity. Torches normally can handle the most flow. All 3 are bad shippers and damage can be done when shipped or even just moved around the tank Just leave the torch in a spot and forget it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ktownhero
04/13/2017, 08:50 AM
Torches hammer all adopt well to many different light intensity. Torches normally can handle the most flow. All 3 are bad shippers and damage can be done when shipped or even just moved around the tank Just leave the torch in a spot and forget it

Yeah I'm pretty sure the head the ejected did so because one time I picked it up and accidentally pulled it through the direct stream of my MP40. That head got blasted really hard... I just really hope the good heads stay that way and it can recover and stick around.

ktownhero
04/13/2017, 08:54 AM
Is it necessary to frag off heads that died? The dead head is a sore reminder, but otherwise doesn't look threatening. I'd rather not have to pull it out and hack away...

anthonys51
04/13/2017, 11:03 AM
I would just leave it alone for now