PDA

View Full Version : Led on a hex

elbowdeep29
04/13/2017, 05:23 PM
I have a 110gal hex wanting to make as a mixed reef and was wondering if the reef breeders proton 24 v1 would be able to do this as i have it on my tank now.
The tank is 29x29x30. If so what lighting percentage should I run the lights. If not I do have a value fixture 16 that I can add for more light. Thanks Jeff

elbowdeep29
04/13/2017, 05:28 PM
It's a reef breeders value fixture 16^^^^

Ron Reefman
04/14/2017, 04:44 AM
I think most fixtures are going to struggle some to cover the 29" front to back over a 24" deep tank. But given yours is 30" deep, I think if you hang the Photon 24" at 12" or more off the water it should work. I had a 50g hex that was about the same width and length as your tank but not as deep. I used a RB Photon 24" and had it 16" off the water and I was satisfied with the coverage I got.

You could always put the 24" Photon toward the front and put the Value Fixture behind it an it would fill the tank well. In fact you could try running the Value fixture more blue than the Photon and it might give you the look of a tank that is more than 29" front to back.

Good luck and have fun with the hex tank.

elbowdeep29
04/14/2017, 12:39 PM
Thanks and for the info and help! What about the %of light? And how long should I keep it running at a higher% or just play with it? I was told to never run them at 100%

Ron Reefman
04/15/2017, 05:10 AM
Over a 30" deep tank I'd suggest a midday setting of about 4 to 6 hours with the blue channels around 60% and the white channel around 30%. The violet, red and green channels can be set to color the tank however you like. If your corals were under t5 before, you might start at even lower power settings and ramp them up over time. I think in the end you'd be OK with 90% blues and 40% white and maybe a bit higher or lower depending on the type of coral and placement in the tank. But that's just my opinion.

My tank is 20" deep and my midday is 90% on the blue channels, 40% white and violet and no red or green (personal preference on no red and green). I have a lot of surface agitation and pretty good shimmer on the bottom but almost no disco effect without the red and green leds. Just remember my tank is mostly sps and the corals have been under leds for many years.

I do a 5 hour sunrise, a 4 hour midday and a 6 hour sunset. But my long sunrise and sunset mean that the last hour or 2 of sunrise and the first hour or 2 of sunset are pretty high so I feel the tank gets 6 to 8 hours of intense enough light for photosynthesis to happen, The rest of the sunrise and sunset is more for show than for the health or feeding of the coral.

elbowdeep29
04/15/2017, 07:53 AM
Got ya that's great!! Thanks for your time! Before the LEDs I had them under a 400w MH. LEDs I'm just getting used to lol because the MH was so bright and the LEDs are not as intense so it throws me off lol.

Ron Reefman
04/15/2017, 10:13 AM
I understand. And unfortunately our eyes do a really poor job of judging general brightness. I consider myself very lucky that I got a PAR meter a long time ago in a huge group buy here at RC.

elbowdeep29
04/15/2017, 01:13 PM
May need to check into​ on of them. Thanks again for your help!

Ron Reefman
04/16/2017, 05:07 AM
I think that the Sen-eye system has a reasonably priced PAR meter that you can add to their system. Jason (another RB Photon V2 user) has done an extensive review comparing it to an Apogee PAR meter (which I have). Probably well worth looking at.