PDA

View Full Version : New Lyretail Anthias Disease Diagnosis Needed

foozed
04/15/2017, 03:26 PM
Hi Forum - we received a male lyretail yesterday from LA and as per usual went straight into QT. He arrived with pretty gnarly white marks on his sides, worse on left than right but both sides definitely noticeable. Would like help with diagnosis to see if we need to start with Cupramine instead of our usual Paraguard>PraziPro>Cupramine.

luislimon
04/15/2017, 09:25 PM
I think you need to act now on that fish. 1) fresh water dip. Heat the water to same temperature as your qt, place the fish for 3,4minutes , put back fish on qt. Look for clues on the fresh water container flukes (look like scales) or grains of salt "like" parasites. I see what looks like septicemia. feed metro+kanaplex+focus. If it has flukes add prazi-pro to the qt. It's safe to use antibiotics and prazi if antibiotics are feed to the fish.
Please let us know how it looks after fw dip

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

luislimon
04/15/2017, 09:39 PM
Reading your treatment protocol. Seems to be good. Do FW dip and add meds if there is septicemia (red marks near belly on first pic).

foozed
04/16/2017, 07:32 AM
He didn't make it. Up close photo...thoughts? Disease or injurys from fighting back at LA...?

luislimon
04/16/2017, 04:27 PM
Disease. I had something like that happen to a school of chromis 2 years ago. If you look at the picture there is a layer covering the hole fish.

scooter31707
04/17/2017, 11:33 AM
That's looks like Brook or Uronema which is very common in Anthias and Chromis. I would begin with a Formalin bath/dip and see how they react. You may have to think about breaking down the tank and bleaching it as I know Uronema can live without a fish host. Don't know about Brook, as maybe the experts will chime in soon.

foozed
04/17/2017, 02:12 PM
Disease. I had something like that happen to a school of chromis 2 years ago. If you look at the picture there is a layer covering the hole fish.

Thanks luislimon. Do you know what disease you had? What did you treat with? Was it successful?

foozed
04/17/2017, 02:19 PM
That's looks like Brook or Uronema which is very common in Anthias and Chromis. I would begin with a Formalin bath/dip and see how they react. You may have to think about breaking down the tank and bleaching it as I know Uronema can live without a fish host. Don't know about Brook, as maybe the experts will chime in soon.
There are other fish in that QT and now I'm worried it will spread. Our normal QT treatment is Paraguard>Prazi>Copper...but none of those are effective for these diseases. I've not used Formalin before, can that be added to treat the full QT? I read that metronidazole works for both Brook and Uronema...

Thanks for the insight!

ca1ore
04/17/2017, 08:20 PM
I've had some success treating uronema with chloroquine phosphate. It's a disease you do not want in your display.

luislimon
04/18/2017, 02:12 AM
I saved 2 out of 5 Chromis. We know Uronema was/is present in your QT. In my experience once re steaks show fish are not likely to make it..

You need metronidazole to treat internally. Externally i have used cupramine and Formalin.

Plan to use Kordon Rid-Ich Plus (Formalin and Malachite Green) next time I see Uronema. I have only used pure formalin in the past.

PS. And yes to your other question you can use Formalin in the QT tank.

scooter31707
04/18/2017, 09:06 AM
https://www.petsolutions.com/C/External-Parasite-Ich-Fish-Medications/I/Formalin-MS.aspx

This is what most of us use. I would not recommend using Formalin in the QT. I would give them a bath/dip in a bucket. All it takes is small heater for 1-5 gallon, an airstone, and 1-2 gallons of water (depending on fish size). It's 1ml per 1 gallon. Let them be for 50 minutes max, always keeping an eye on them.