PDA

View Full Version : NoPox. a good idea?

Julian.Rad17
04/15/2017, 08:53 PM
My nitrates are currently about 25, and with my current maintenance schedule (weekly water changes, cleaning skimmer/sock) they have been maintained this way but not lowered. I recently introduced some acro frags about three weeks ago and plan to add more similar sps in the future. I have lost some acros in the past due to what I think was elevated nutrients. I have been considering using NoPox as it seems straightforward and appears to have a good reputation. I am very cautious with products similar to these because of past experiences, so if I do end up using it, I plan to start off with less than half the recommended dose and ramp it up if necessary. Right now the tank (including the acros) are doing great but I want to make sure they stay this way and dont slowly decline and die like my previous acros did. I also have a few spots of green hair algae on the rocks and powerheads that I would like to get rid of. Let me know if you think this product is worth using and if it could be a solution to this issue.

ReefWreak
04/26/2017, 03:26 PM
If you have a skimmer (which you do), you there's no reason to not go after your nitrates (and the algae) with NoPox dosing. I've been dosing vodka for a few months with generally good results (though I'm still getting bubble algae growing), and NoPox is basically vodka + vinegar, so carbon dosing.

If you want to be thoughtful about it, go check out the Reefkeeping magazine's article on carbon dosing and learn the ins and outs.

If you want to start dosing, just remember to start very small and work upwards. Overdosing carbon and dropping your nutrient levels too quickly will be worse for your corals than keeping higher nutrient levels stable.

Julian.Rad17
04/27/2017, 05:58 AM
If you have a skimmer (which you do), you there's no reason to not go after your nitrates (and the algae) with NoPox dosing. I've been dosing vodka for a few months with generally good results (though I'm still getting bubble algae growing), and NoPox is basically vodka + vinegar, so carbon dosing.

If you want to be thoughtful about it, go check out the Reefkeeping magazine's article on carbon dosing and learn the ins and outs.

If you want to start dosing, just remember to start very small and work upwards. Overdosing carbon and dropping your nutrient levels too quickly will be worse for your corals than keeping higher nutrient levels stable.

Thanks I followed the instructions on their article and am slowly ramping up the dosage right now and everything is doing fine.