PDA

View Full Version : Drop down tank maker?

hellssephiroth
04/16/2017, 01:30 AM
Well....

The time may be coming sooner than I thought that I will be getting a new house. I want to do a fresh drop down build instead of tearing down my 120 and putting it back up. I bought it used, its been in operation for 12 years and I need something new.

I want to get something in the 500 gallon+ range. I keep seeing some bad *** drop down tanks and might want to go that route. Either that or just something huge so I can keep some of the larger tangs. I will have a lot of room in the basement to put something very large. I pretty much want to have to jump in it to place rock so maybe bigger than 500. I am having a hard time picturing how big a 500 gallon tank is right now...

I am having a hard time finding companies that make them. Are they all basically custom or have companies started producing them standard yet? I am assuming they are mostly all acrylic for ease of building?

I am up for other ideas too. I want to do this only once and I want huge. Any help/advice would be appreciated.

SFish
04/16/2017, 12:28 PM
A 500 gallon would be 96"x48"x25"

Here's a place that sells them

http://www.fishtanksdirect.com/tsunami-535-gallon-96lx48wx30h-rectangular-acrylic-aquarium-u535.aspx?gclid=CIDS9pHAqdMCFZm3wAodqWIIew

If I were doing this I would make my own tank out of acrylic but that's just me.

hellssephiroth
04/16/2017, 05:01 PM
Ya,
I am thinking about trying to do a plywood tank and just build it in the basement. The good thing is that getting large pieces of acrylic down the stairs will be an easy straight shot. A whole tank would still be rough though.

SFish
04/17/2017, 05:37 AM
Post some pictures

hellssephiroth
04/17/2017, 08:53 AM
It will be a while most likely. I will probably draw something up and get dimensions for everything figured out anyways. I have to wait until June to see if I am able to get the house or not. I'm just trying to scope everything out right now and get a game plan. I want to have something set up to put all of my current coral into so I can get my tank out of my current house before I try to sell it.