PDA

View Full Version : Vote for the best LED light for my tank (48x30x20)

Helfish
04/16/2017, 10:18 AM
I have 48" x 32" x 20" tank (basically an Elos 120xl) and have been using T5's. I really want to change to LED's and need your help to choose the right option for me :) I have softies, LPS (chalices) and few sps corals and gorgonians. I have narrowed it down to following options.

The light should have these functions:

Good spectrum (blue and violet/uv)
silent operation
sleek looking
easy to use
reliable
adequate coverage for the tank size

Thanks for the help :)

Sk8r
04/16/2017, 12:14 PM
Most brands have all those features, except the latter. I use a Radion pro in a 36 w 36 deep tank at about 75% ---which will penetrate. The regular Radion does not penetrate as deep. It's one of the easiest to use: I simply plug my laptop into my radion, or vice versa, via USB, bring up Ecotech Live, and tell it about my time, schedule, intensity, and how I want the lights to behave. It programs my lights in response to my choices.

Helfish
04/16/2017, 12:43 PM
Most brands have all those features, except the latter. I use a Radion pro in a 36 w 36 deep tank at about 75% ---which will penetrate. The regular Radion does not penetrate as deep. It's one of the easiest to use: I simply plug my laptop into my radion, or vice versa, via USB, bring up Ecotech Live, and tell it about my time, schedule, intensity, and how I want the lights to behave. It programs my lights in response to my choices.

I also forgot to mention, that I live in Finland and have to order pretty much everything reefing related from Germany. It also means that brands from USA are quite expensive because of the import fees. Single Kessil ap700 costs 1129€, which is almost 1200 US dollars :D I know Radions are very popular in the states, but in Europe they are very expensive (almost 900€ a piece, which are 950$) :/

GHL Mitras is about 800€ (850$) and Gieseman Futura with 4 clusters is 1400€ (1485$). I have been drooling over ap700 and Giesemann because they look so gorgeous. Mitras 7206 looks a bit plastic to me and I actually liked more how the old version looked. I also cannot hang the light form the ceiling, so it must be attached to the aquarium.

Basically all modern reef LED light will grow corals. I'm just unsure which way to move from here. Kessil, Mitras and Giesemann fixtures have all different approach how they illuminate. Kessil being point source creates beautiful shimmer, GHL mitras have more spread but still clusters and Giesemann have their led's spread along the fixture.