PDA

View Full Version : LEDs went out, what now?

Gastriclavage16
04/16/2017, 09:31 PM
I have a 29g Oceanic biocube that I just got a few months ago. 2 weeks ago my UV LEDs all went out, and today all my other lights went out. I don't know much about lighting, and it looks like the guy I got this setup from did a bad job of hooking it up.

Anyway, do I need to buy a whole new lighting setup, or do I just buy new LEDs? The ones I had were dimmable. I'm no electrician but I have soldered before.

I read a few posts about Steve's LED and Rapid LED. Is that the place to call about this? Is it common for these LEDs to go out? Is this a quick fix? How long do I have before I kill my corals? Sorry but any suggestions ASAP would be much appreciated. Don't want to buy something I'll regret but also don't have much time. ugh...

Also noticed my splash guard is cracked, but after much research it looks like they don't make Oceanic ones anymore, so I'll likely have to build my own.

LQT
04/17/2017, 04:27 AM
That looks like a RapidLED retrofit that you have installed. Give them a call for troubleshooting help. You may also want to post this in the Nanoreef section of the forum as there are a lot of Biocube owner who frequent there that have a lot of experience with that particular retrofit kit.

oreo57
04/17/2017, 07:52 AM
It only takes one "open" diode per string to take the whole string out..
It is easiest enough to test w/ a VOM.

There are just a lot of test points..:(

Care to start at the driver or the diodes?
Keep in mind that the driver needs a "signal" to be on.
0-10V across the Dim circuit.
Across the output of the driver should be 48v @ 100% (10V) or approx.
Setting the VOM to Ohms and you can dimly light each diode if you put the probes across the plus/minus pads. Testing for a dead one..If found just take it out of the circuit..

Sounds complicated but it really isn't..
Should be an easy way w/ those connectors to just jumper across one or two to check driver/dim circuit.
Never used the solderless ones but believe the plus minus goes through diodes.. so looping the output will give you the return path to the driver..
do it on the first diode (or a couple or few) and see if it (they) light.

If all diodes went out at once I'd suspect the 10V wall wart died..