PDA

View Full Version : Biocube sump?

Robert Boukari
04/16/2017, 10:51 PM
I have a 32 Coralife Biocube and I was looking online and saw people making sumps for their biocubes. Is it worth it and how would I go about getting the water into the sump?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

skiingfast
04/17/2017, 12:46 AM
Because it is a small tank it can be nice to stabilize by increasing the system volume.

Some people put small HOB overflows on them. Some use a hang on back skimmer that drains to the sump.

It's more common by far to just use the built in sump that is in the back of the tank.

evokid511
05/01/2017, 07:32 PM
I have seen a few thread where people will remove the wall between the tank and the factory filter area and then drill the tank to allow drain and return lines, and then obviously route them to the sump, a lot of work though, almost better to just buy a tank ready for a sump or just upgrade the factory filtration with media basket and better pump

ReefWreak
05/02/2017, 08:50 AM
If you're ready for a sump, you're ready to go to a 40g breeder tank with full sump setup underneath.

As much as I like biocubes, and as much as I've seen people over the years do it, it doesn't make any sense to run a full external sump setup on a biocube. Just save yourself the headaches and start at a 40B.

homer1475
05/03/2017, 05:41 AM
I have seen a few thread where people will remove the wall between the tank and the factory filter area and then drill the tank to allow drain and return lines, and then obviously route them to the sump, a lot of work though, almost better to just buy a tank ready for a sump or just upgrade the factory filtration with media basket and better pump

If you're ready for a sump, you're ready to go to a 40g breeder tank with full sump setup underneath.

As much as I like biocubes, and as much as I've seen people over the years do it, it doesn't make any sense to run a full external sump setup on a biocube. Just save yourself the headaches and start at a 40B.

+1 to both

When I had my biocube I had thought about removing the false wall, drilling, and running a sump. I eventually just decided it would be cheaper and easier to just upgrade to a bigger tank with a sump.

Ritten
05/04/2017, 11:38 AM
There are some videos of sumps added on youtube. Here is one of them:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LwvJ7XXUsww

JDWells
05/26/2017, 11:57 AM

I've been toying with the idea of drilling my 14 because I don't have enough room in the back for equipment and fuge like I want. I miss the big sump on my 125. But like they said above, in the end it would work better, be easier, and probably cheaper to get a standalone tank and drill it.