PDA

View Full Version : Sick or Weird Behaviour anemone, please help!

Orlandobehrens
04/17/2017, 09:18 AM
Hello everyone,

I have just joined and need some help with my white pink bubble tip anemone.

Since we got the little lady, it has been acting weird, does not really adapt to the tank and I have no clue about what's going on.

I have purchased the aminal 3 months ago, it came from Germany and on the first day, it was acclimatised properly, put in the tank and let it be for some time. It is our first ever anemone.

It did move and choose a rock with deep crevices, got itself attached as I would expect but from there it has been a battle.

Rarely eating, we tried frozen and fresh: Shrimps, Scallops, White Fish, ReefRoids, Anemone Pellets, etc, but it does not want to eat, initially, the anemone will accept the food and a few minutes later it "vomits".

Most of the day it will be closed and looks really bad, during the night it comes back from the dead and looks beautiful, stretching towards the light but, still not eating.

All other corals and inverts are thriving, only the anemone is causing me a massive headache.

Our thank parameters are:

Tank: Aqua Evolution 75G (350 Lites)

Lights: 2X AI Sol - Aqua Illumination - Set at 85% whites, 75% Blues at peak time.

Phosphate: 0.08

Nitrate: 0.25

Salinity 1.025

PH 8

Maturity: 3 years

All other parameters are normal.

See below pictures of our anemone attached.

Please, we need advice and constructive feedback not nagging and bad criticism.

Cheers.

Orlando.

Rallos
04/17/2017, 07:11 PM
Sounds to me like it's getting too much light. Hard to definitively tell from the photos but it looks bleached to me.

fishkeeprian
04/18/2017, 07:02 AM
Hello everyone,

I have just joined and need some help with my white pink bubble tip anemone.

Since we got the little lady, it has been acting weird, does not really adapt to the tank and I have no clue about what's going on.

I have purchased the aminal 3 months ago, it came from Germany and on the first day, it was acclimatised properly, put in the tank and let it be for some time. It is our first ever anemone.

It did move and choose a rock with deep crevices, got itself attached as I would expect but from there it has been a battle.

Rarely eating, we tried frozen and fresh: Shrimps, Scallops, White Fish, ReefRoids, Anemone Pellets, etc, but it does not want to eat, initially, the anemone will accept the food and a few minutes later it "vomits".

Most of the day it will be closed and looks really bad, during the night it comes back from the dead and looks beautiful, stretching towards the light but, still not eating.

All other corals and inverts are thriving, only the anemone is causing me a massive headache.

Our thank parameters are:

Tank: Aqua Evolution 75G (350 Lites)

Lights: 2X AI Sol - Aqua Illumination - Set at 85% whites, 75% Blues at peak time.

Phosphate: 0.08

Nitrate: 0.25

Salinity 1.025

PH 8

Maturity: 3 years

All other parameters are normal.

See below pictures of our anemone attached.

Please, we need advice and constructive feedback not nagging and bad criticism.

Cheers.

Orlando.

Your Anemone does looked bleached. I don't think this is down to too much light. Has it changed colour since you have had it, maybe it was not living in the best conditions from whom ever you purchased it from?

I would recommend to stop feeding it for now. BTA's do not need to be feed generally, they get most of their food from light. Do you see any brownie stringy substance coming from its mouth? Does it deflate regularly? It could be sick and could of expelled all its zooxanthella.

fishkeeprian
04/18/2017, 12:47 PM
Also looking at your lighting your whites are far to high. I would recommend bringing it way down. Bring your blues down a bit. I run a maxspect and I run my blues almost double my whites. Over millions of years corals, anemones etc have evolved to absorb more of the blue spectrum of lighting. I'm not scientist so you would have to Google it. But deffo work on adjusting your lights down and improving your blue spectrum.

Orlandobehrens
04/18/2017, 03:53 PM
Hi Fishkeeprian & Rallos,

Thanks for your input.

The anemone did not expel any brown substance so I do not know if the zooxanthella was lost before arriving at ours.

It did have bright pink tips which turned completely white on the second day in the tank. It does deflate completely and the mouth opens so much that we can see the inside of the anemone! Really sad really.

Normally deflates during the day and comes back during the night, I will try to change lights settings to:

Whites @ 50% and blues at 50% to start with and see what happens.

If you have any other suggestions please let me know.

Cheers.

Orlando