PDA

View Full Version : Fish room door

angnak
04/19/2017, 12:48 PM
If this needs to be moved to a different forum, that is fine. Wasn't real sure where to post since it isn't really tank related and not really equipment related but it is equipment room related. So on to the question...

Building a new house and will have an equipment room behind the tank. The door to that room. It is an interior room of the house, so should it be a normal door or like an exterior door that will have a threshold and seal around it? Noise isn't the reason I ask and where the door will be I don't care if it has that exterior door look or not. The door won't tie the room together. Just wondering for sealing up that room for humidity reasons. The tank will be about 540 gallons. I currently have a 210 and don't really have humidity issues in my house but it is open to the whole house, it sits in the living room with two story ceilings that is open to the upstairs loft that is open on the other side to the foyer. The new house will not be a two story great room and was thinking if I seal that room up that should help out with pulling that humidity out through the dehumidifier we are going to install. Still open on the HVAC, having a meeting with them in the next couple weeks.

Thanks and feel free to move this post if needed.

tkeracer619
04/19/2017, 01:43 PM
Sealing a room up completely can be tough. A dehumidifier will also add a lot of heat to that room if it is all sealed up. You may want to consider a large, centrally located whole house dehumidifier that works in conjunction with your AC unit.

Several people have recently made threads detailing this. You certainly need to be careful forcing humidity through the walls as that can cause a lot of issues.

Also, while people will surely chime in, it would be wise to consult a professional HVAC tech who can inspect your home and get you what you really need. It's tough for anyone here to give too much detail other than good ideas.

angnak
04/19/2017, 01:49 PM
Appreciate the feedback. Yea, the HVAC guy is two weeks away but of course we need to have the door schedule turned in so was hoping for feedback like yours. Didn't really think of it as a whole house dehumidifier thing. Great point to discuss with the HVAC. Always just went with the mind set of having it in that room.

mcgyvr
04/19/2017, 04:21 PM
So is this an "in-wall" tank that will be inside this equipment room with just a viewing pane in the other "living" area?

angnak
04/19/2017, 05:18 PM
Yes, the tank will be in the equipment room and will be viewed from the great room.