PDA

View Full Version : FYI: Water Tests Are VERY Corrosive

Darth_Tater
04/19/2017, 07:21 PM
In case you missed it in the test instructions and haven't found out the hard way yet, Alk, Calc, and Mag tests are very corrosive. I had a drop splash onto my finger just a few minutes ago and it burns even after rinsing it off! Be more careful with them than I usually am.

Oh, and they are very very rough on furniture.

nereefpat
04/19/2017, 09:23 PM
Yes. A good reminder. Alk is titrated with a strong acid.

Tisbe
04/20/2017, 01:16 AM
Thanks for the post. Haven't read the warning in years.

Ron Reefman
04/20/2017, 04:53 AM
What test kit is that? I don't see any warnings on my kits and I get them on my fingers and I've never felt anything?

A sea K
04/20/2017, 05:36 AM
Yep, I accidently dropped some on my shorts/leg during my last test session. Certainly irritated my leg not too mention it burned hole right through my shorts.

homer1475
04/20/2017, 06:02 AM
I use all salifert tests and get it on my counter top, fingers, and wipe up spills with my "tank towels". Never have I had chemical burns on my fingers, stains on my counter tops, or have it eat holes in my "tank towels".

Curious as to what kits your using?

A sea K
04/20/2017, 06:07 AM
I think it was my Red Sea nitrate kit.

Ron Reefman
04/20/2017, 07:08 AM
I use all salifert tests and get it on my counter top, fingers, and wipe up spills with my "tank towels". Never have I had chemical burns on my fingers, stains on my counter tops, or have it eat holes in my "tank towels".

+1

I use API and Salifert and I get solution all over towels every time and I've never seen any damage other than a stain.

MrDemonicAngel
04/20/2017, 07:17 AM
also curious to hear what brand test kit OP is using

nereefpat
04/20/2017, 07:53 AM
An alkalinity test is just determining how much acid it takes to drop pH. All brands' tests are most likely just an indicating dye like phenolphthalein and an acid. A strong acid like HCl is used because it dissociates completely and makes the math easy.

Darth_Tater
04/20/2017, 08:22 AM
What test kit is that? I don't see any warnings on my kits and I get them on my fingers and I've never felt anything?

The Red Sea mag test is the worst. If I dump it straight into the kitchen sink after I'm done it fizzes and bubbles just like hydrogen peroxide would. It also eats furniture like crazy.

A sea K
04/23/2017, 04:45 PM

+1

I use API and Salifert and I get solution all over towels every time and I've never seen any damage other than a stain.

OK, so I'm doing my weekly testing and drag out my Red Sea brand "Nitrate Pro Test Kit" and upon inspection see reagent bottle labeled NO3/A5 which has warning labels as follows, "CORROSIVE", "Causes severe burns", Contains Sulphuric acid"

So, I'm no puss by any stretch of the imagination and all I know is I felt the burning sensation when I dropped some on my leg and of course I have a few holes in my shorts as a result.
Don't really care but wanted to point out that the OP has listed some cautions that probably should be observed and not just dismissed because some folks have not had a reaction. To summarize, be careful with your test kits as they do contain some pretty serious chemicals.