PDA

View Full Version : Does my tank have good movement?

Khartlauer
04/20/2017, 10:57 AM
Hey everyone,

I drew a little diagram of how I currently have my 65 gallon reef tank set up in terms of the powerheads and pumps. The circulation pumps point about 10-15 degrees downward and hit the back panel above my live rock. I currently have only LPS (up high) and soft corals (mid-low) I believe this is a solid way of doing the powerheads but I would appreciate any one else's opinion on this as this powerhead set up is still new and I want to make sure i'm doing this right.

I was also thinking about maybe adding a small (200-300 gph) pump on the back panel center pointing to the front glass at a small angle (5-10 degrees) down that runs 24/7, do you guys believe that would be good, bad or unnecessary? Would this setup be enough water movement to keep some the easier SPS coral out there (not talking about lighting at all)?

Any thoughts/opinions/ideas would be appreciated!

davehead86
04/20/2017, 11:05 AM
I have the same tank you do.

I have a low MP10 on one side, High MP10 on the other side and two Hydor powhereads at the top to break surface tension. Dont be suprised if you need more power in a tank this big. Being so deep causes movement issues.

Khartlauer
04/20/2017, 11:21 AM
I have the same tank you do.

I have a low MP10 on one side, High MP10 on the other side and two Hydor powhereads at the top to break surface tension. Dont be suprised if you need more power in a tank this big. Being so deep causes movement issues.

Having one powerhead mounted high on one side and having the other mounted low on the other side sounds like a good idea. Thats kinda the reasoning behind having a 24/7 on the back panel pointing forward and down. That way it can create movement both in the front of the tank and low. Theres decent movement down low as I have star polyps (on a rock) on the sand bed and they have great movement.

JUNBUG361
04/20/2017, 01:30 PM
I would give some space between the rocks & back glass. Put one of the power heads in the corner(back glass & side glass) near bottom, just to reduce some dead spots

aaronwitt
04/20/2017, 01:49 PM
This looks pretty good. Once you have things going you can always observe how the water flow is and if there are dead spots you can play around with the positioning of the powerheads / add a third Hydor into the mix.