PDA

View Full Version : cupramine dosage

Cheeselady
04/21/2017, 05:58 AM
As I have been posting about recently I have Ich.

I've got all my fish in QT and treating with cupramine.

Problem is I can't seem to get the dosage up to the level the bottle says.

I've followed the directions, added more during water changes, and added a bit more on top of that.

But no matter what when I test I'm not getting up in the therapeutic range, my test definitely registers copper but not very high. And I am VERY nervous about aggressively dosing since I don't want to poison my fish.

A few details:
29 gallon QT
a few old decorations and one old rock in there for fish to hide in
Using cupramine from seachem
All fish appear unsymptomatic at this point - have had treatment for a little over a week.

scooter31707
04/21/2017, 09:42 AM
That décor and rock might be absorbing the cooper giving you false readings. That's why it's recommend to only use things like PVC.

Cheeselady
04/21/2017, 10:53 AM
hum... I was wondering if that was the case.

The other thing to note is that I am using an API copper test kit. I've been moving away from API in general but I'm unsure how reliable this particular kit is.

As for PVC only I bit worried about my bigger fish picking on the smaller fish. The decor/rock provides small holes for the little guy to get into but the PVC I have on hand wont provide that shelter.

scooter31707
04/21/2017, 11:21 AM
They make small PVC too. Yes, I would not recommend API. If you can, get your hands on the Salifert Cooper test kit or the Seachem one if you are using Cupramine.