PDA

View Full Version : CT 400 Build

ca1ore
04/22/2017, 10:07 AM
I'll start this in the same way that I did my last build thread - it's going to be a slow gestation. Further, I'm going to have to find a photobucket alternative because it's driving me nuts.

About to order a 400, 8' long, 3' wide, 30" tall. My first acrylic . Old 265 is full, both for fish and for corals. Tank will take 10-12 weeks, so time over the Summer to build a new stand, work out what additional floor reinforcements will be required, and collect any incremental kit necessary.

Most of what I have will suffice, though the vortech MP40 pumps will likely not work on 1" thick walls. Will need a better overflow, probably 36" modular marine model. Will need another 100 lbs of sand, give or take. Lots of plumbing and containers for holding livestock and water during the swap. Finally, 4-5 strong lads.

To be continued .....

fastest302
04/22/2017, 10:10 AM
Following

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

WatDatThing
04/22/2017, 11:08 AM
Whopping 400. Can't wait to see it.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

iced98lx
04/22/2017, 11:51 AM
Looking forward to it. I am a big fan of Flickr if you are using a computer to compose your updates. Their mobile app is good for uploading/organizing but doesn't provide a handy BB code like their desktop interface does. That said, you can chose a size for your BB code photo on desktop which I find handy. Unlike photobucket I've never had it slow to a crawl, not work or take forever for photos uploaded from mobile to show on the web interface on my computer.

Downside is that their generated BB code includes a link to the Flickr page for your photo and your flickr user.

ca1ore
04/22/2017, 05:47 PM
Since my system display is on a floor above the mechanicals, I'm going to take advantage of gravity as much as possible and eliminate a pump or two. Drain siphon already feeds the ATS, but I'm going to use it feed the separate refugium and frag tank as well.

Also going for lots of swimming room, so corals will not be closer than 12 inches to the front. Will also allow me to use the lights I have for the rear 24" and really limit the light that hits the front. Last time I had a 36" wide tank I did this and got almost no algae on the front. Planning a wooden 'skirt' around the tank so that any algae that does build up next to the sand can be ignored.

scott11106
04/22/2017, 07:26 PM
i too am building a 300-400g tank but i am on a bit longer of a time line as i am starting the process of building a new fish room by building a new house around it....

I just found some land am about to pull the trigger on the house process but i will follow your thread as we are doing the same process.
Do you know what brand or who will build your tank?

do you have any new equipment spec'ed yet?

chuckbuc
04/22/2017, 08:16 PM
Who is building the tank ?i also went acrylic on my new 400 ..its my first acrylic too.. are u nervous about scratching it ?...i am.alitte

ca1ore
04/22/2017, 11:36 PM
Who is building the tank ?i also went acrylic on my new 400 ..its my first acrylic too.. are u nervous about scratching it ?...i am.alitte

Probably going with a modified model from fishtanksdirect in FL. My first plastic tank. Nervous ..... terrified!!! :lol:

ca1ore
04/22/2017, 11:38 PM
do you have any new equipment spec'ed yet?

Mostly it's equipment already in service on my 265. I will need a second Vortech MP60, particularly if my current MP40s prove unusable on a 1" tank. May also need one more Radion, though I plan an open area front to back in the tank that won't require bright lighting. I'm not a huge-flow-through-sump proponent, so my PW200 should suffice as the main return pump. Skimmer is sized for 600 gallons, CaRx for the same. Sump already oversized 1t 150 gallons so no issues there.

chuckbuc
04/23/2017, 07:09 AM
What's ur plans on cleaning the glass/acrylic

ca1ore
04/23/2017, 09:18 AM
I'll be shading the front pane, so expecting low algae growth. Been advised to use acrylic intended mag float with magic eraser. Dont leave magnet cleaner in the tank. Also as noted I'm going to make a skirt that will cover the sand so I can leave a strip of uncleared front thus avoiding picking up any sand. Beyond that just being very careful.

Check out my large acrylic tank thread in the reef discussion forum.

ca1ore
04/23/2017, 06:13 PM
This is the most recent picture of my 265 - quite full as you can see. With some trimming and moving 'damage' I figure I can get it all into the 400. Going to build the new stand with the same plywood 'microlams' as before - worked really well and was incredibly rigid. Tank sits over a weight bearing foundation wall, so will add an additional jack post, but that's about it.

sfsuphysics
04/23/2017, 06:25 PM
Probably going with a modified model from fishtanksdirect in FL. My first plastic tank. Nervous ..... terrified!!! :lol:

Try to get a beater acrylic tank, and practice how to remove scratches underwater you're gonna need it :D

Also what's your backup plan when your anemones don't stay on your island? :D

dave.m
04/23/2017, 07:51 PM
No, no. A 400 is never going to hold that lot in place. I'd go bigger. :wink:

Dave.M

ca1ore
04/23/2017, 09:48 PM
Also what's your backup plan when your anemones don't stay on your island? :D

I only keep mags and they mostly do stay put at the top. Only had one floater in 25 years ..... and it didn't end well. I have personally designed guards on the vortechs.

victorcan
04/24/2017, 12:36 AM
Im in the market for a 400 tank, been researching glass however, I have never had an acrylic tank and have always been scared.. Your 265 is glass right?

nsfishguy
04/24/2017, 06:24 AM
What is your plan with the 265 when you setup the new tank?

ca1ore
04/24/2017, 08:09 AM
I have been thinking about a bigger tank for a while and have debated glass versus acrylic. I did explore options and builders for both. I do worry about scratching with acrylic, but experienced users have assured me that it is quite manageable. The weight of the 400 gallon acrylic tank is about 500 pounds empty, the same sized glass tank is about 1,300. Cost (once freight is factored in) is about the same.

I haven't given a great deal of thought to the fate of the 265 (a glass tank). It's 4 years old, so plenty of life left in it and it ought to be saleable; though large used tanks are hard to move at anything more than pennies on the dollar. I have plenty of storage space in the garage, so probably I will try to sell it at a fair price; failing that I'll just store it until certain I won't reuse it for something else; or maybe donate it to a local club.

victorcan
04/24/2017, 09:55 AM
I have been thinking about a bigger tank for a while and have debated glass versus acrylic. I did explore options and builders for both. I do worry about scratching with acrylic, but experienced users have assured me that it is quite manageable. The weight of the 400 gallon acrylic tank is about 500 pounds empty, the same sized glass tank is about 1,300. Cost (once freight is factored in) is about the same.

I haven't given a great deal of thought to the fate of the 265 (a glass tank). It's 4 years old, so plenty of life left in it and it ought to be saleable; though large used tanks are hard to move at anything more than pennies on the dollar. I have plenty of storage space in the garage, so probably I will try to sell it at a fair price; failing that I'll just store it until certain I won't reuse it for something else; or maybe donate it to a local club.

Would make for a phenomenal basement sump/fuge :) was honestly considering using my 220 as a Fuge if I can get a decent priced 400

nsfishguy
04/24/2017, 02:54 PM
You should just setup the 265 as well, you know you will need it too. A lot more fish and corals to be had, LOL!!!!

RIGUY314
04/24/2017, 05:53 PM
I only keep mags and they mostly do stay put at the top. Only had one floater in 25 years ..... and it didn't end well. I have personally designed guards on the vortechs.

I take of couple of those guards for MP40's since you won't be needing them any more! :bounce3:

nice build! can't wait to see the end result. following for sure.

scott11106
04/24/2017, 06:15 PM
seems like most of the people i have talked recommended glass tanks, what was the reason for going acrylic? would love to hear everyones opinion and why as i am in the hunt for a 300-400 tank

chuckbuc
04/24/2017, 07:30 PM
seems like most of the people i have talked recommended glass tanks, what was the reason for going acrylic? would love to hear everyones opinion and why as i am in the hunt for a 300-400 tank
I just ordered a 396 gallon acrylic ,for me I had my 300 glass leak at the silicone seam,I figured I would much rather have a scratch that I can possibly get out ether than a leak again ,the other was I looked at want aquariums, hotels,restaurants use, figure an acrylic will outlive a glass ....

sfsuphysics
04/24/2017, 10:23 PM
I think the reason why public places do acrylic is because it is something that is fixable if you get some "vandal", where as glass not so much. I know one of the local aquariums it isn't a matter of an acrylic box welded at the seams, it's a fiberglass (or concrete) aquarium with an acrylic viewing pane held against a silicone gasket. So it's not about the leak prevention of welding vs. silicone adhesion to glass.

I have gone back and forth between acrylic and glass myself, and the scratches are something I can deal with, however what I can't deal with is all the extra elbow grease required to keep acrylic looking good. Now you can either be very vigilant with your daily cleaning so that it never becomes a problem (small amount of effort, lots of time) or you could attack it when you get the chance which if it's something like coraline algae or that harder brown algae then you have to put a tremendous amount of effort into it. My experience with glass, you take a razor blade, and within 10-15 minutes (obviously depends upon the tank size) the pane looks brand new and crystal clear (yup even on non-starphire!). And ultimately the clarity is going to depend upon how clean you keep it, not what the material is made out of.

that said I've seen beautiful acrylic tanks as I have seen glass tanks.

ca1ore
04/25/2017, 06:54 PM
Some thoughts on equipment:

1. It's quite likely that my two MP40 pumps aren't going to work with 1" thick walls, so I have acquired a second MP60. I will certainly attempt to get the 40s to work but if they don't, dual 60s should suffice.
2. I'm still going to use the closed loop, though with larger piping so I can get more flow out of my Vectra pump.
3. I use a few of those Aquamag magnetic rock shelves, and they're problematic with 1" walls. Have some much more powerful external magnets so will try those.
4. I run a panworld 200 to feed both the 265 and my 120 refugium. I'm going to feed the refugium from the overflow drain, so the entire flow from the 200 should be enough for the new tank.
5. Not planning any new lights for now considering I will be putting all corals in the rear 24".

Maritimer
04/25/2017, 10:45 PM
Wow, that's going to be an impressive upgrade!

Don't know if I qualify as a "strong lad", but feel free to reach out on moving-day ... or whenever. (Maybe I can convince my son and some of his sturdier friends . . . )

~Bruce

Desert Sea
04/25/2017, 11:09 PM
Can't wait to see what you put together. Will be following along.
Let me know if you need a hand.

ca1ore
04/25/2017, 11:18 PM
I plan to offer copious amounts of beer and pizza, and free frags, to anyone willing to lend a hand when the time comes. Also going to build a cart so that lifting is minimized in favor of pushing :)

sfsuphysics
04/26/2017, 10:01 AM
Yeah, I can almost guarantee the MP40 pumps will not work. I had 3/4" on an 8' long tank and if you looked at them funny they'd fall off, and this is with no spacer. Granted these were older MP40 pumps (like the ones that came right after they upgraded from the metallic magnets) but I don't think they could have changed the magnet strength that much.

ca1ore
04/26/2017, 10:36 AM
I'm not so concerned about them sticking, I can rig extra support. It's whether they'll adequately transfer torque. Did you have issues with that?

lionfish300
04/26/2017, 07:22 PM
I plan to offer copious amounts of beer and pizza, and free frags, to anyone willing to lend a hand when the time comes. Also going to build a cart so that lifting is minimized in favor of pushing :)Count me in for beers, pizza an free frags. Joke aside I bought a lift cart and it help a lot during my transfer from 180 to 375 ( 8' x 3' x 24") between myself and one friend

ca1ore
04/26/2017, 09:35 PM
What kind of lift cart? I was just figuring on building a wooden stand with weight appropriate casters on the bottom.

lionfish300
04/26/2017, 10:45 PM
What kind of lift cart? I was just figuring on building a wooden stand with weight appropriate casters on the bottom. Something like this but my can lift over 1000lbs. http://www.harborfreight.com/500-lb-capacity-hydraulic-table-cart-61405.html

ca1ore
05/01/2017, 12:58 PM
Tank ordered ..... no turning back now.

biecacka
05/01/2017, 07:08 PM
Who's building the tank?
Might have to make the trip up for frags :)

Corey

ca1ore
05/01/2017, 11:19 PM
Tsunami 400 (with mods) form FTDirect in Fla. There will be loads of frags because I'm going to prune the big colonies back by at least half.

BigBlueTang
05/02/2017, 01:42 PM
Awesome! I followed your last build and I'm excited to follow this one.. If only I was local I'd be there! Although I am down for frags if you've got extras :lmao:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ca1ore
05/02/2017, 10:59 PM
Hopefully this one will go as well as the other one did. I've already upsized my ATO reservoir and CaRx in anticipation. Sump's an old Oceanic 150, so more than enough for a 400 display. 400 will be my max. I always chuckle when I see those huge tanks with the owner in a SCUBA mask placing corals. Must mess with the ATO big time. Going to finally do the overflow right - ordered a 36" modular marine with the updated removable weir. Debating on whether to re-use the closed loop or not. Probably will since I have it.

iced98lx
05/03/2017, 08:37 AM
Tsunami 400 (with mods) form FTDirect in Fla. There will be loads of frags because I'm going to prune the big colonies back by at least half.

did you go with the 30x30 or 36x24?

ca1ore
05/03/2017, 09:48 AM
did you go with the 30x30 or 36x24?

Neither, actually 96x36x30. External dimensions say 450 gallons, but subtracting the 1" walls yields nominally 400 gallons of water (which is the fairer way to represent size IMO).

iced98lx
05/03/2017, 01:14 PM
that is a great choice imho!

sfsuphysics
05/03/2017, 01:23 PM
I'm not so concerned about them sticking, I can rig extra support. It's whether they'll adequately transfer torque. Did you have issues with that?
Sorry for the late reply, it's been a busy week...

but can you support them in tank as well? Because the magnet holds the wetside to the tank wall too.

Of course you can test it right now, just get a 1" thick piece of wood (actual 1" thick not 1 by material) and see if the impeller will spin. Of course there will be a lot more resistance in the water but if it can't do it in air, there's no way it's doing it in water.

ca1ore
05/03/2017, 01:49 PM
True, though the dryside is obviously much heavier. I'm actually going to test them with the thick MP60 spacer which when added to 12 mm glass will approximate 1". As long as torque will transfer I can rig an in tank support if needed. But if it doesn't, or the whole thing seems like too much trouble, I can find another use for them.

sfsuphysics
05/03/2017, 02:26 PM
You can be that super awesome reefer guy that runs MP40s on your QT tank :D

ca1ore
05/03/2017, 02:48 PM
You joke, but when I was running my Achilles tang through QT I did have a MP40 on one end of a 30L. The lengths we go to .....

sfsuphysics
05/03/2017, 07:49 PM
I joke because I've been in the same boat of using whatever I have handy, I used to use Tunze stream pumps to mix saltwater, controllable ones! :D

ca1ore
05/04/2017, 12:24 PM
A few folks have asked me via PM some variation of 'Isn't a 265 big enough?' The quick answer, of course, is NO! :lol: I view a fish tank like I view storage - crap will proliferate to fill the available space!!!!

So, why am I getting a bigger tank?

1. I am maxed out in the 265 and would like to keep some fish for which 265 is too small.
2. I enjoy the build process more than I enjoy the maintain process - so it's also about not getting bored.
3. I always like to have a major project every year - 2016 it was building a new master bathroom, 2017 a bigger tank.
4. My sons are now old enough to help with a project like this, and that's both a good experience for us and great learning (structural, woodworking, plumbing, fluid dynamics ..... OK, may be that's a stretch).
5. Most importantly ..... just .... because!

albano
05/04/2017, 01:25 PM
So, why am I getting a bigger tank?

1. I am maxed out in the 265 and would like to keep some fish for which 265 is too small.
2. I enjoy the build process more than I enjoy the maintain process - so it's also about not getting bored.
3. I always like to have a major project every year - 2016 it was building a new master bathroom, 2017 a bigger tank.
4. My sons are now old enough to help with a project like this, and that's both a good experience for us and great learning (structural, woodworking, plumbing, fluid dynamics ..... OK, may be that's a stretch).
5. Most importantly ..... just .... because!

And you work hard and you deserve it!

Desert Sea
05/04/2017, 06:51 PM
Does the new tank come with a stand or are you building one yourself?

ca1ore
05/04/2017, 09:52 PM
Definitely building. Got the wood working shop in the third garage that needs 'exercising'. New stand, light hood and top rim ..... gots to get cracking though, tank'll be here in 10 weeks.

sfsuphysics
05/05/2017, 01:04 PM
Wait... third garage?

Ok the question now isn't why are you getting a bigger tank, it's why did you wait this long to get a bigger tank? :D

ca1ore
05/05/2017, 01:32 PM
Wait... third garage?

Yes, that was 2009's 'boredom' project. Had a buddy dig and set the foundation and I did the structure. Wife, at the time, was fed up with all my woodworking tools cluttering up the 2 bays.

ca1ore
05/06/2017, 09:41 AM
Debating with myself what, if any, additional floor reinforcement will be required for this new tank. Current 265 is in this same spot, holds 240 gallons and weighs about 2,700 lbs. The new tank will hold 400 gallons and weigh about 4,100 lbs, a not inconsequential difference. Current tank is on the ground floor above the basement, so it's a joist floor. It straddles a weight bearing cinder block foundation wall with a sistered 2x4 room wall; the front length of the tank is sitting on a parallel 10" joist that is supported to the basement slab by a 2x4 room wall. Both ends of the tank are also supported with a jack post. I'm thinking it's more than sufficient. Had an engineer buddy look at it before and was told is was way overkill. He lives in England now ....

ca1ore
05/10/2017, 03:40 PM
Tank is ordered (96x36x30) and will arrive nominally end of July. It'll likely sit in the garage for a bit so I can pre fit all the plumbing and makes sure the stand is made and the floors reinforced. Went with a 36" modular marine overflow with 1 1/2" triple drain system. Sump is in the basement so I am going to take advantage of gravity an use the siphon drain to feed my ATS and standalone refugium. This will allow me to use the full capacity of my PanWold 200. I'm going to upsize the return plumbing to 1 1/2" also to squeeze as much flow from the pump as possible. Guessing I will get about 1300 gph give or take.

I've acquired a second MP60, so intank flow will be dual MP60s and a Vectra M1 running a closed loop. Still haven't tested my MP40s on 1" thick sides, so they may not work. Still undecided on whether additional lighting will be required. Probably I will setup the tank and then decide.

sfsuphysics
05/10/2017, 03:55 PM
Yes, that was 2009's 'boredom' project. Had a buddy dig and set the foundation and I did the structure. Wife, at the time, was fed up with all my woodworking tools cluttering up the 2 bays.

So did the woodworking tools go back to the 2 bays? Because if not you're going to want a 4th garage as I know first hand how much corrosion can happen in tools, even in an adjacent room to a tank.

ca1ore
05/11/2017, 08:35 AM
No tank in the garage ..... you are right, even in a well ventilated garage rusting is a problem. I have some tools, like my jointer, that doesn't get used all that much so keeping it in good shape is a challenge.

ca1ore
05/12/2017, 11:16 PM
Got the modular marine overflow today and I must say I'm very impressed. Impeccable workmanship.

ca1ore
05/17/2017, 01:58 PM
Going to have the main MM overflow, a two-output closed loop and a single return. Began dry fitting the overflow this week. From left to right, siphon to ATS, emergency, main siphon to sump, open channel, and then siphon to refugium. Pipe to the outside of the overflow is the suction for the closed loop. Really outstanding work on the overflow. I've upsized the standpipe on the emergency to 3", although the bulkhead and subsequent plumbing is 1 1/2". Two siphons for the ATS and refugium are 1"; main siphon and open channel are 1 and 1 1/2". I've concluded with a bit of work I can get about 1,300 net gph out of my PanWorld 200, so more than enough drain capacity. The closed loop will be 1 1/2" on the input and dual 1" outputs form my Vectra/OM combo.

Bab2150
05/17/2017, 10:56 PM
Wow awesome! Had to get rid of my tank years ago but getting the itch again...who knows with this hobby...

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

ca1ore
05/18/2017, 10:21 PM
It's hard to stay away. I dropped out in 2009 after almost 20 years in salt water and reef tanks. Sold off my venerable 180 and swore the whole thing off. Missed it though and as my kids got older they expressed interest. Got a 90 in 2013 ..... what was I thinking! 265 less than 6 months later. Now 400 four years on.

Funny story. When I was thinking about a 180 or a 265 in 2013, I was perusing the FS adds here on RC and found my old 180 up for sale. Not from the guy I had sold it to in 2009, but one more owner on. He was selling the tank as 5 years old - when it was actually 25 years old. He was not misrepresenting it intentionally, but caveat emptor.

ca1ore
05/20/2017, 10:00 AM
Had a beer with a construction buddy of mine and talked fish tanks (ba$tard made me pick up the tab :lol:). The new tank wil be more than adequately supported in the middle and one end, but I'm a bit worried about the other end. Joists are 9" deep (not 9 1/2", curious), so his counsel was to sister/scab the beams that run parallel to the one end with either LVL or doubled up 3/4" plywood. New joist is a 12' span that sits on sills on both ends. Plus I can slip a jack post in the middle of one that won't be a eyesore.

Desert Sea
05/20/2017, 07:58 PM
Overflow looks nice!

Does it come with lids for both sides?

ca1ore
05/20/2017, 08:50 PM
Yes, one long cover for the skimmer box and three shorter ones for the external box. Lids are made of polycarbonate (at least I think that is what he said) so they won't warp.

sfsuphysics
05/20/2017, 09:33 PM
So is this tank going to be rimless? Or is there going to be a hole knocked out of the bracing so you can clean the overflow?

I love the idea behind those small profile overflows, it's just the idea of maintaining them which makes me worry.

ca1ore
05/20/2017, 09:36 PM
No, definitely eurobraced. I agree with you, so they are going to route a couple of openings in said eurobrace above the skimmer box. FWIW, Modular Marine now make their skimmer box removable.

sfsuphysics
05/20/2017, 09:45 PM
Oh do they? I remember that was one feature of the "twice and expensive" brands, was the weir was magnetically attached and you could remove it, it still would be a pain to clean if you had a eurobrace that was of any sizable thickness (I had an 8" one on a 72x60" tank!). But the whole skim box is removable? I really need to consider that as an option for my ever changing and who knows when I'll get around to actually ordering it tank :D

ca1ore
05/20/2017, 09:46 PM
Existing sump is an old Oceanic 150, so plenty big enough for the 400. Unfortunately all of the drain bulkheads on the sump are 1", not 1 1/2". So I've made an add in glass strip that will sit into the top tank rim and provide the necessary drains. Can also see two of the Apex FFM flow sensors - 2" for the main return and 1" for the siphon drain that will feed the refugium. Got a 100' roll of 1 1/2" ultraflex pvc in the garage, so I think I now have all the plumbing I am going to need. In fact, I think I have all of the equipment that I will need.

Now on to building the stand. Will also need to build a temporary stand that will match the height of the incoming truck bed. Won't need to be much as the tank will be empty.

ca1ore
05/20/2017, 10:12 PM
But the whole skim box is removable? I really need to consider that as an option for my ever changing and who knows when I'll get around to actually ordering it tank :D

Yeah, it's pretty slick actually.

sfsuphysics
05/21/2017, 09:09 AM
Yeah, it's pretty slick actually.

You're going to have to show that off at some point, just occurred to me how do you take off the box without also draining all the water (up to the height of the lowest pipe in your exterior box.

ca1ore
05/21/2017, 09:42 AM
Well, I actually ordered mine prior to them making the change. I was offered the mod, but declined it for precisely the reason you note. I do think it's a good idea, but one would have to plan extra sump capacity I'd think.

ca1ore
05/23/2017, 04:41 AM
Tested my MP40 on a 1" thick piece of wood and I think it will work. Transfers torque with no problems and seems to stick well enough. I'll support the dry side with a bracket of some kind. Probably won't be able to run modes like pulse though. Wonder if I can run it without the gasket?

sfsuphysics
05/23/2017, 10:31 PM
wow that's certainly a shocker, although I wonder if the viscosity of water instead of air on the propeller might give different results. Maybe try with a small rectangular tank (or hell a rectangular pitcher full of water), then enough wood to bring it to 1" thick.

Also wonder if the makeup of glass/acrylic might damp magnetic fields different than wood?

Sorry, I'm not trying to say it'll fail or anything, just thinking outload about possibilities. Plus I've had issues on 1/2" thick glass with MP40s, but these were much older versions... and well a lot of me hating Ecotech for the magnet issues I've had and them telling me to fork over another $50 for a magnet every couple years

Ricardo18
05/24/2017, 07:19 AM
I have 3 MP40's on 3/4" glass with no problems (in any mode).

ca1ore
05/24/2017, 10:43 AM
Mike, all good points. I'm going to check it in a 10 gallon this weekend with the thickness built up to 1" with some scrap acrylic that I have laying around. One thing I have been toying with is asking the tank maker to 'thin' the 1" rear down to 3/4" in two circular spots to accommodate the dry side. Cannot imagine this would affect the structural stability (particularly since they normally build this tank with 3/4" anyhow - I just asked them to use 1").

ca1ore
05/24/2017, 03:25 PM
So in discussions with the tank builder, I'm going to have them route a 1/4" deep circle on the outside of the back panel where the two MP40s are going to go. It will mean I cannot subsequently move them, but that's ok. The 1/4" ledge will also provide support for the dry side.

BranchingHammer
05/24/2017, 04:00 PM
Following, I am also setting up a reef. 65g

sfsuphysics
05/24/2017, 08:29 PM
So in discussions with the tank builder, I'm going to have them route a 1/4" deep circle on the outside of the back panel where the two MP40s are going to go. It will mean I cannot subsequently move them, but that's ok. The 1/4" ledge will also provide support for the dry side.

probably a good decision on that. And yeah it won't affect the structural integrity any more so than drilling a couple holes would.

The downside, is like you said, I hope you like them there :D

scar79
05/25/2017, 09:31 PM

I've seen this done before without any issue. Just make sure they account for the power cord out the top. I think 1/4" will clear without any kind of notch but maybe they can fit one before they ship just to be sure.

Just coming across this thread now. Glad to see you're moving forward with this! I'm happy to lend a set of hands if I'm available for D-day. I'll be following along

ca1ore
05/25/2017, 10:40 PM
I've seen this done before without any issue. Just make sure they account for the power cord out the top. I think 1/4" will clear without any kind of notch but maybe they can fit one before they ship just to be sure.

Just coming across this thread now. Glad to see you're moving forward with this! I'm happy to lend a set of hands if I'm available for D-day. I'll be following along

Oooooh, that's a good point - the cord is set back from the drive face a bit, but not 1/4". I think if I have them do the recess at 3 1/2" there'll be enough room to route it properly. They're sending me a CAD of the tank in the next couple of weeks, so nothing set in stone (or in this case, acrylic, yuk yuk). Good catch though, thanks.

Tank is due to ship out around July 10, so my plan is to get it into the garage on a knock down stand initially so I can dry fit all the new plumbing. Then sometime towards September, when it gets cooler, do the swap over. Got to get the 265 out (at 400 lbs. empty) before the new tank goes in - all in the same day. Asked the builder how heavy the 400 would be and he said nominally about 500 lbs. Thought it would have been less, but what's a few hundred pounds :lol:

ca1ore
05/26/2017, 09:30 AM
I think what I will do is to see once I get the tank, and if necessary I can route a small groove for the wire grommet with my dremel.

anbosu
05/26/2017, 04:56 PM
Oooooh, that's a good point - the cord is set back from the drive face a bit, but not 1/4". I think if I have them do the recess at 3 1/2" there'll be enough room to route it properly. They're sending me a CAD of the tank in the next couple of weeks, so nothing set in stone (or in this case, acrylic, yuk yuk). Good catch though, thanks.

Tank is due to ship out around July 10, so my plan is to get it into the garage on a knock down stand initially so I can dry fit all the new plumbing. Then sometime towards September, when it gets cooler, do the swap over. Got to get the 265 out (at 400 lbs. empty) before the new tank goes in - all in the same day. Asked the builder how heavy the 400 would be and he said nominally about 500 lbs. Thought it would have been less, but what's a few hundred pounds :lol:

Well you decided to go ham and get 1" acrylic, so I'm not too surprised it's heavier than normal. Do you think the MP40s will provide enough meaningful flow to customize the tank for them?

ca1ore
05/26/2017, 08:16 PM
I have been using dual MP40 for cross flow and like them. Plus I have them :lol:. Tank builders says it's a trivial effort so what the heck.

ca1ore
05/26/2017, 09:07 PM
My current system consists of the 265 main display, a 5' 120 gallon refugium, a 60 gallon frag tank and the sump. System is pretty much maxed out with fish and, of course, I'd like to add more.

Refugium contains polyzona tang, gem tang, small Naso, quoyi parrot, a trio of leopard wrasses and an orchid Dottyback. How is it a refugium you are thinking? No coral nippers so it's where most of my LPS has ended up along with a very large gorgonian.

Frag tank contains a pair if Banggai and a 'runt' scopas tang for algae control (a task beyond him though).

Current display is the problem as I'd like to add a large Naso, possibly vlamingi or blue spine. Plus at some point the regular Naso is going to need more space. I'd also like to add to my group of Bimaculatus anthias, and maybe a few more bartletts. Fish tanks are like closet space - crap expands to fill the available space.

ca1ore
05/28/2017, 09:55 AM
BTW, I have had a number if folks ask me if the 265 will be for sale. The answer is yes once the time comes. It will be just the tank, stand and cap; no other equipment. Also, the stand does not have any room for a sump since I operate a separate fish room for that.

Desert Sea
05/31/2017, 09:24 PM

Simon I would suggest that they rout the depressions with radiused inside corners. This will help control cracking and crazing. Sharp inside corners are a no no with plastics and other various materials. Cracks tend to form at the corners and radiate outwards. You may have to increase the diameter of the depression slightly to allow for the radius so the dryside sits flat.

ca1ore
06/01/2017, 09:17 AM
I guess I assume they would do the depressions that way, but it's a good point that I need to make sure that the diameter is adequate for the 3 3/8" flat spot necessary for the vortech motor.

dave.m
06/02/2017, 06:36 AM
What if you just attached the powerheads to a strip of acrylic that could be suspended into the tank instead of trying to modify the sides? That would make the powerheads easier to remove for cleaning and avoid any future problems, i.e. if you change powerheads in future and the replacements don't fit your routed depressions.

Dave.M

ca1ore
06/02/2017, 07:42 AM
By definition, the vortech dryside needs to stay dry.

sfsuphysics
06/02/2017, 08:52 AM
yeah was going to say, "that might void the warranty on those Vortechs"

(not that there probably is much of one considered their old)

ca1ore
06/02/2017, 02:06 PM
Not much happening on the new tank front at the moment. Still need to work out the best magnet cleaner to use on an acrylic tank as well as whether I will need another light. Got quite a lot of business travel over the next few weeks, but I do need to get moving on building the stand.

SpikeDangles
06/02/2017, 08:30 PM
Looks exciting Simon. If I am around for the nice day I'd be happy to help. Also I could probably come up with a couple suction cups from work to make it easier. Following along.

ca1ore
06/04/2017, 09:57 AM
Been thinking about how to use the new optical sensors now available from Neptune. I'm not necessarily replacing traditional reed floats (I have had a few fail over time, one recently, but redundant switches catches them) but thinking about applications where a float won't fit. I'm considering, for example, mounting one in the top of the overflow skimmer box that will alert me if the water level in the tank rises too much, and another in the dry emergency of the external box to alert me if it sees any water.

scar79
06/04/2017, 09:29 PM
Not much happening on the new tank front at the moment. Still need to work out the best magnet cleaner to use on an acrylic tank as well as whether I will need another light. Got quite a lot of business travel over the next few weeks, but I do need to get moving on building the stand.

Mighty Magnets. Magnavore 8s will work too but they're small and sink like bricks.

I like the mighty mags because they float and they have a larger cleaning surface so one grain of sand isn't as likely to scratch. They also make a dozer pad which has a triangular strip of (softer than acrylic) plastic attached to it which is great for coraline and spotty algae.

I don't believe you said you've had an acrylic tank before so pardon me if this is "been there done that" info to you :) - They key with acrylic tanks is to be very diligent about using new pads and always watch where you've been. You'll scratch it eventually, I promise. You just want to notice quickly and pull the pad before you drag back and forth across the panel multiple times. You can sand/buff everything but gouges out of it. It can be tough to take sandpaper to an otherwise perfect panel - I'm happy to give to a tutorial if (when) you put one in it. Cleaning near the sand line is also a PITA. I can show you some techniques there as well.

ca1ore
06/04/2017, 10:42 PM
Yep, will be my first acrylic tank so any tips on avoiding scratching the tank are most welcome. I'm leaning towards the MM, just no need to pull the trigger yet, so plenty of waffling to be done :lol:

biecacka
06/05/2017, 06:44 AM
simon, one thing i did with my acrylic tank(also my first) is went with less sand and kept it in the middle of the tank for the most part. there is some near the front and sides but not a lot. since my tank is a cube and the pumps are on the back wall, eventually the flow moved all the sand into the center part of the tank or along the back. this worked out perfect for me! and helps keep the sand from the front viewing panel.

corey

Ricardo18
06/05/2017, 09:15 AM
Yep, will be my first acrylic tank so any tips on avoiding scratching the tank are most welcome. I'm leaning towards the MM, just no need to pull the trigger yet, so plenty of waffling to be done :lol:

Do not leave any magnet cleaner in the tank.Coralline algae will grow on it and one day....it will scratch!
Also, put a piece of cloth on the wet side, and clean the cloth after use.

ca1ore
06/05/2017, 11:51 AM
I've been thinking about building the stand so that the front and side come 4" or so up the tank. That way I can stay away from the sand and not see the grubby line.

albano
06/05/2017, 01:12 PM
I've been thinking about building the stand so that the front and side come 4" or so up the tank. That way I can stay away from the sand and not see the grubby line.

That's how the front and side panels of my 450g stand were...Only about 2" higher, with a removable ~1" molding, kept magnet away from sand

ca1ore
06/05/2017, 06:37 PM
Ha, it may well have been you who gave me the idea. Not beyond stealing the goods ones :lol:. Got your new tank yet?

albano
06/05/2017, 08:56 PM
Ha, it may well have been you who gave me the idea. Not beyond stealing the goods ones :lol:. Got your new tank yet?

The 500 is done, the 200 should be done this week and both will ship at same time... Have to start planning the stands!

ca1ore
06/08/2017, 08:06 AM
Started building the stand for mine yesterday. 96"x36" is a serious footprint :lol: How are you planning to get yours off the truck and inside your house? Happy to help if you need any muscle.

D-Nak
06/08/2017, 12:57 PM
I can't believe I missed this thread! Congrats on the new tank. The next time you're in town, definitely swing by again.

albano
06/08/2017, 03:24 PM
How are you planning to get yours off the truck and inside your house? Happy to help if you need any muscle.
Very good question! They said they are shipping both tanks on 1 pallet... and since I have a long driveway, they want to drop it roadside... I hope to have the driver, separate the 2 tanks and have the big one (6'x5') balanced on the back of 1 of my pickups, them CAREFULLY back the truck up the drive.

Appreciate the offer for help, I'll let you know. Thanks

ca1ore
06/08/2017, 05:43 PM
Well my sons are now big enough to actually be helpful, so just let me know. I'm facing the same problem - long driveway and just curb drop service.

ca1ore
06/08/2017, 05:44 PM
I can't believe I missed this thread! Congrats on the new tank. The next time you're in town, definitely swing by again.

Thanks I will. Tank is still 'conceptual' until the day it shows up at my house.

ca1ore
06/09/2017, 08:43 AM
One of things I plan to do as part of the tank upgrade is the better organize the fish room. As I add new things to the system, the room tends to get cluttered and things become difficult to access and service.

reefzone123
06/25/2017, 09:52 PM
wow your overflow is no joke. amazing. great setup.

ca1ore
07/07/2017, 04:54 PM
Live got in the way of my stand build. Tank is due in a couple of weeks, so spent the day today finishing the main stand structure and reinforcing a couple of floor joists. Reminder to self: make sure stand fits through front door opening! Went with the same laminated plywood beams for all the horizontal members as with the stand for my current 265. Extremely strong, and perfectly flat once run through my table saw.

caribfan
07/08/2017, 08:20 AM
Hey Simon, excited to see your new build.

albano
07/08/2017, 08:33 AM
Tank is due in a couple of weeks...

My tanks are supposed to arrive Tuesday or Wednesday ... I really need to get going with stand building!

ca1ore
07/08/2017, 05:20 PM
I would say so :lol: So did they ship when they originally said, or later? I only approved the CAD two weeks ago and it is supposed to ship out next week? Seems quick.

albano
07/08/2017, 07:01 PM
I would say so :lol: So did they ship when they originally said, or later? I only approved the CAD two weeks ago and it is supposed to ship out next week? Seems quick.

A little later than expected, but I never rec'd CAD to approve! When I got an email that tanks were ready to ship, I replied that I never received or approved CAD ... Quickly rec'd call back that the drawings/plans that I had sent to them were so good that they used them as the building plans! They then sent me pics of tank

Shipping is actually taking 2 weeks from pickup at factory.

ca1ore
07/09/2017, 07:04 PM
Stand build .....

ca1ore
07/09/2017, 07:07 PM
And my current 265 .... in desperate need of more room.

Maritimer
07/10/2017, 06:43 AM
Stand looks pretty beefy! I like those deep boards handling weight distribution below the tank.

~Bruce

Megabyte
07/10/2017, 07:51 AM
Looking good.

ca1ore
07/10/2017, 08:22 AM
Stand looks pretty beefy! I like those deep boards handling weight distribution below the tank.

~Bruce

As the old saying goes, better to have strength you don't need than to need strength you don't have.

anbosu
07/12/2017, 09:13 AM
As the old saying goes, better to have strength you don't need than to need strength you don't have.

The stand I had built for my 360 didn't have enough depth/strength on the cross beams, so I ended up having to tear down the tank to fix the bowing in the middle of the aquarium. I ended up basically adding an exoskeleton to the inside of the stand - what you have looks like it should work really well.

ca1ore
07/12/2017, 09:41 AM
I have found a plywood torxion box to work really well to prevent sagging. The assembly table in my work shop is that design any it's remained flat and level despite the abuse I have heaped upon it.

ca1ore
07/17/2017, 10:03 PM
Doors made, though not attached; light canopy.

Maritimer
07/18/2017, 11:43 AM
Lookin' fairly awesome!

~Bruce, wishing he had carpentry skills. And tools.

ca1ore
07/18/2017, 02:33 PM
Though I am happy to take credit for having skills, it's really the right tools that make it easy.

ca1ore
07/28/2017, 10:58 PM
Began the process of finishing the stand front and light canopy. I am a very good carpenter but a lousy finisher. Always end up feeling like I'm ruining all my cabinetry work. Sigh.

Maritimer
07/29/2017, 09:12 AM
I promise to look at the fish and corals, rather than the cabinetry!

~Bruce

ca1ore
07/29/2017, 11:07 AM
Ah Bruce, you are a gentleman and a scholar. Of course, probably nobody else other than me would even notice :lol: fortunately my work shop is separated from the rest of the house by the garage so mostly nobody can hear me cursing ...... mostly.

dave.m
07/29/2017, 09:39 PM
I'm pretty sure the whole neighbourhood can see the blue streak.

djm

ca1ore
08/14/2017, 09:57 AM
The stand is complete, other than the side panels which are best measured, cut and fitted once the tank us in place. Light canopy also complete. Tank is due to ship from the manufacturer this week.

LQT
08/17/2017, 08:17 AM
Nice just found this thread... do you have a delivery date as yet? I have a work conference down in NOLA next week, then going to MACNA on Sunday. I hope I'll be around if you need a hand...

ca1ore
08/17/2017, 10:23 PM
No delivery date yet. Initial move will be to get the tank off the truck and onto the stand in the garage. Not sure yet if the truck will back down the driveway or not, so that part of the move is either 300 feet or 3 feet :lol:. I'm largely at the mercy of the shipping company for this step. The second move will be to get the old tank and stand out and the new one in. That schedule I can control; I'm thinking a weekend in Sept. when enough folks are around to assist. I did buy one of those 1,000 lb. lift carts; but even so i figure it's a 4-6 person job.

LQT
08/18/2017, 09:38 AM
Sounds good... keep us updated when you need a hand. :)

Maritimer
08/20/2017, 05:48 PM
I'm sure it's easily that - that's a lot of inertia to control.

I may be working just about every day through September :spin1:, but if you're working this after five or any other time I can be there, I'll be there.

~Bruce

ca1ore
08/21/2017, 03:39 PM
Still don't know if the tank has shipped or not ..... sent two emails .... crickets ......

ca1ore
08/22/2017, 10:32 AM
Stand is ready to accept the tank. I won't make the sides until the tank is fully installed as I want to have them to also cover up the space behind the tank. That is best done once the tank is in place so I can use precise measurements. There will also be a cap on the top edge of the stand but, again, that is best measured and made after the tank is in place.

albano
08/22/2017, 12:10 PM
Stand looks great! ... still waiting to have mine built, almost finished with plumbing to upstairs 200g tank

ca1ore
08/22/2017, 12:21 PM
Stand looks great! ... still waiting to have mine built, almost finished with plumbing to upstairs 200g tank

Did you get your tanks? Everything to your satisfaction?

albano
08/22/2017, 12:45 PM
Did you get your tanks? Everything to your satisfaction?

Yes tanks are here, look great, built to my specs...only problem was with shipper...tanks went from Fla to Atlanta to Long Island in about 3 days... Took LI shipper over 2 weeks and 3 missed delivery dates to deliver to my home, and then the driver was not prepared to unload a pallet that big (2 tanks). Had to help him unwrap the tanks and take them off the truck 1 at a time.

ca1ore
08/23/2017, 10:19 AM
Yeah, I think the freight company (and the specific driver) is the wild card. I think mine should ship out next week.

ca1ore
08/24/2017, 04:58 PM
The main goal for getting a bigger tank is to have more space for fish. I recently lost my 5 year old Achilles tang for reasons as unclear; otherwise all fish remain. Have a bunch in various QT tanks already, from varied sources. Regal and rock beauty Angels and black tang from local reefers. Two fairy wrasses, a quartet of femal bimacs, and a zebra eel. Another local guy has a small spotted unicorn tang that I'll prob take. Even a 450/400 will eventually be too small, but it's better than where the fish is now.

Maritimer
08/25/2017, 05:47 PM
Sorry to hear about the Achilles - that was a spectacular fish!

And yeah ... 'cause who doesn't need more fish?!

~Bruce

ca1ore
08/31/2017, 12:32 PM
Tank due to ship this week or next. What the %*&% was I thinking ......

Maritimer
08/31/2017, 06:42 PM
That the tangs needed swimming space more than you needed that chunk of your living room?

That thing's got potential!

~Bruce

ca1ore
09/02/2017, 08:13 PM
Tank has shipped, got the manifest ..... 632 lbs ..... oh, my aching back .....

Maritimer
09/03/2017, 07:54 PM
You've got friends to help with that.

~Bruce, already taking ibuprophen in anticipation . . .

LQT
09/03/2017, 11:13 PM
Yup! Give us a heads up as to an ETA when known. :)

ca1ore
09/06/2017, 09:02 AM
Will do!

Removable sides made and a big 'ol roll of 1 1/2" flex PVC.

rvlcf
09/06/2017, 10:16 AM
Hey Simon,
Congratulations on the new tank! Depending on the day I might be able to help with the move.

ca1ore
09/07/2017, 10:16 AM
It's in Decatur ..... is that in the US I wonder .....

albano
09/07/2017, 11:10 AM
It's in Decatur ..... is that in the US I wonder .....

Same as my shipment... Shipped by RoadRunner thru Atlanta to Long Island...

ca1ore
09/12/2017, 07:30 AM
Currently in NH. In a town I actually have never heard of .....

Finishing up the stand. There will be two 'caps'. One that sits on the rim of the stand and hides the bottom few inches of the tank so I can stay away from the sand when cleaning the front, and thus not see the line of coralline. You can see it in the attached picture. Second will sit on the top rim of the tank, but I won't cut it to size until I actually have the tank itself.

ca1ore
09/12/2017, 11:12 AM
Tank to be delivered tomorrow. Reassembled my 'big tank cart'. Not pretty, but does the trick. Getting it onto the stand in the garage will be easy. The BIG move will be in Oct that will require many helpers :)

LQT
09/12/2017, 11:15 AM
Very exciting! :D

albano
09/12/2017, 11:26 AM
Tank to be delivered tomorrow. Reassembled my 'big tank cart'. Not pretty, but does the trick. Getting it onto the stand in the garage will be easy...

I can probably run over if you need me...old and not very strong, but I'm a great supervisor!
:eek:
BTW, tank should come surrounded in styrofoam... Should fit perfectly under tank on top of stand...don't let them destroy it!

LQT
09/12/2017, 11:30 AM
Me too, if you need help tomorrow, lemme know.

ca1ore
09/12/2017, 11:56 AM
Thanks chaps. I think I will be OK for tomorrow. My 15 year old and a couple of his football buddies are going to be around. The delivery is supposed to be on a smaller truck with a liftgate, so I'm thinking it will just be sliding the tank off the liftgate onto the dolly, and then sliding it off the dolly onto the stand. I mean, really, what could possibly go wrong ........ (already had a bit of good luck as the tank made it out before Irma made her way in).

It's the move in Oct that will require more help. I did a test run with a cardboard box (yeah, I am that anal) and there are annoying things like stair railings in the way (I will have to take it down). Getting the old tank out will be pretty easy, but getting the new tank in not so much.

ca1ore
09/12/2017, 11:59 AM
I can probably run over if you need me...old and not very strong, but I'm a great supervisor!
:eek:
BTW, tank should come surrounded in styrofoam... Should fit perfectly under tank on top of stand...don't let them destroy it!

Yours came on a wood pallet, right? Was it a typical pallet, say 5 inches tall?

albano
09/12/2017, 12:13 PM
Yes, ~5"

ca1ore
09/12/2017, 12:23 PM
Thanks A

ca1ore
09/13/2017, 02:03 PM
Well, I guess I shouldn't have tempted fate by asking what could possibly go wrong .... even if I meant it tongue in cheek. The answer is that the truck showed up, but no lift gate. Fortunately, with a bit of ingenuity and the fact that the driver was an amateur power lifter (I kid not), we were able to wrestle it down the gang plank onto my cart. I'm no power lifter, but I am a robust 250 ....ish. BTW, bought one of those 1,000 lb. harbor freight lift carts .... awesome. Will be helpful in the woodshop even once the tanks are moved.

LQT
09/13/2017, 02:19 PM
Jeez, that thing looks absolutely massive! :eek2:

ca1ore
09/13/2017, 02:56 PM
Isn't it though ..... But I guess if one is going up from a 265, why fool around. Keen to get it onto the stand in the garage and unwrap it. Peeking underneath the styro, build quality looks first rate.

Maritimer
09/13/2017, 07:08 PM
Big black rectangle . . .

Kind of reminds me of a classic old sci-fi film . . .

Exciting stuff!

~Bruce

Desert Sea
09/13/2017, 07:48 PM
Simon, glad to see the tank arrived in one piece. My new tank shipped a couple of weeks ago. Got it off the trailer to find some tow motor jockey hit it with the forks. Back on the trailer it went. Waiting for them to build and ship a new one.

ca1ore
09/13/2017, 09:34 PM
That stinks. Mine pretty well packed and no damage. Got the tank onto the stand and unwrapped. Boy was it heavy. More pics to follow.

ca1ore
09/14/2017, 08:40 AM
Man, this sucker is heavy .....

Got the overflow dry fitted and now working on the wooden cap that will sit on the top rim. I realized the center rear leg of the stand blocks one of the bean animal drains, will have to add in a few 45 degree fittings. Otherwise the stand is just about perfect.

ca1ore
09/14/2017, 09:08 AM
Big black rectangle . . .

Kind of reminds me of a classic old sci-fi film . . .

Now that you mention it, there was this strange vibration coming from the crate .... and then my dog picked up a screwdriver ......

ca1ore
09/15/2017, 09:26 AM
After huffing and puffing the tank onto the stand in the garage (and said stand being much heavier than the current one) I'm having a few last minute doubts about my structural reinforcements. Tank will straddle a weight-bearing foundation wall, with one end supported under each corner with jack posts in an enclosed outside crawl space (more a 'walk' space :lol:). Not appealing to do the same for the other end (it's over my office) so I have sistered one of the three joist with double thickness 3/4" plywood to the same 9" depth as the joist and put a jack post at the end of the plywood (the other end of the plywood sister sits on the foundation wall sill. Distance from said sill to the jack post is about 7'; end of tank will be about 4' over so the post is 3' away from the tank corners. It's this end that worries me. Not just the tank, but papa will be human jam if the tank comes through the floor (not that I really think it would - but I am a charter member of over-engineers anonymous). I think I'm going to sister a second joist and add another post - though still not easy way to get that post directly under the end edge of the tank.

When full, this thing is going to be 4,000 lbs. plus or minus a couple of hundred. The floor (minus the joist sistering) has held the 2,500 lbs. of my 265 without even a mm of deflection. My logic for the new tank is that one third is supported by the foundation wall (say 1,400 lbs.), another third by the dual jack posts in the crawl space (they're 'rated at 9,000 each), and the final third by my 3 joists. By this logic, they carried 850 without sistering, but will be asked to carry another 500 with sistering and posts. Seems reasonable to me?

Any thoughts appreciated.

ca1ore
09/23/2017, 06:54 PM
Stand/cabinet finally finished. It's modular, with much of the trim, doors and sides removable for easy lifting. Well ... easier. Did a dry run with a 96x30 frame and while tank will clear the doorway (as I knew it would) it won't clear the stairway balustrade. That will be a pain to remove. May actually revise the plan and take the tank in through the mud room. Will entail removing some Sheetrock and a couple of studs, but that will make the rout a straight 25' shot. Easier to replace a bit of Sheetrock than disassemble the stairs.

Maritimer
09/23/2017, 08:31 PM
Just standing there, filled with white protective sheeting, that is a thing of beauty!

~Bruce

ca1ore
09/24/2017, 10:11 PM
Couple more cabinet shots.

ca1ore
09/24/2017, 10:13 PM
Had to 'adjust' three of the drain pipes with 45 degree fittings in order to clear one of the stand legs. Shouldn't affect the drain capacity materially. I've installed two apex optical sensors into the overflow to alert me to high water conditions.

SpikeDangles
09/25/2017, 08:16 AM
Awesome stand. Love the trim around the top of the tank.

LQT
09/25/2017, 08:19 AM
Yeah, you've got some seriously impressive carpentry skills!

ca1ore
09/28/2017, 03:28 PM
Thanks chaps. Been building cabinets for a long time. BTW, looking like Saturday October 28th for tank moving/lugging day. Got me, my 15 yr old son and one friend so far; figure it's a six man job.

Maritimer
09/28/2017, 03:57 PM
Peeking at my schedule, it looks like I may actually have that _day_ off, though I'll be working the evening, into and through the following day. I think you could crayon me in for shouldering part of that load.

~Bruce

LQT
09/28/2017, 04:12 PM
Thanks chaps. Been building cabinets for a long time. BTW, looking like Saturday October 28th for tank moving/lugging day. Got me, my 15 yr old son and one friend so far; figure it's a six man job.

I'm game for that morning if that's possible.

ca1ore
09/28/2017, 04:37 PM
Yep was thinking morning. I'm going to do some pre trimming so that getting the rocks and corals out will be quicker. Hour or so to move out the old and in with the new. It's pretty much just a 20' straight shot. Then the rest of the day to put it all back together again.

LQT
09/29/2017, 08:29 AM
Hey Simon, make sure to post on this thread the night before so I could get an email reminder!

ca1ore
10/03/2017, 09:45 AM
Will do, thx.

Test filling this week.

ca1ore
10/13/2017, 12:02 PM
Good news: happy to report, tank holds water ..... :celeb3:

Bad news: down a tank-lugger as my teen son had an appendectomy this week ..... and cannot lift anything more than 10 lbs. for a month. Teenagers :(

Maritimer
10/13/2017, 08:34 PM
Ouch - sorry to hear that!

My own son won't be able to make it either - he's signed up for a class that won't have another opening until next year at the earliest.

~Bruce

ca1ore
10/16/2017, 10:28 AM
These pictures were lost to those photobucket extortionists ..... or is contortionsists ..... anyhooo, completely obvious why I 'need' a bigger tank.

ca1ore
10/22/2017, 08:35 PM
Less than a week until the change over. Spent a few hours today throughly washing 160 pounds of sand; a stunningly tedious task I must say.

LQT
10/22/2017, 08:39 PM
I’ll be there... hopefully we’ll have enough heads for the move. I know I was there for the ARKSC meeting last summer, but PM me your address as we draw near.

ca1ore
10/22/2017, 08:49 PM
I think so, and will do. If it looks like we could be short, I'll hire a couple of day laborers.

ca1ore
10/30/2017, 08:15 AM
Tank move happened this past weekend - thanks to all who helped to lug glass boxes ... and acrylic ones.

Maritimer
10/30/2017, 11:33 AM
Can't hardly wait to see that beast fully aquascaped and filled with happy corals and fish!

~Bruce

ca1ore
10/31/2017, 10:54 AM
Took most of the weekend .... I'm considering the possibility that my system may be a tad complex. This thing is massive ..... plenty of corals and rocks, but clearly need more fish.

iced98lx
10/31/2017, 12:11 PM
Looking great after the move!!! Can't wait to see it keep growing.

Maritimer
10/31/2017, 09:26 PM
Wow, that was fast!

It's looking absolutely awesome already - I love the "islands" aquascape, and the front-to-back depth of the beast!

~Bruce

ca1ore
10/31/2017, 09:40 PM
Yeah the 36" front to back depth is really nice. It's the first time that I've seen my Sailfin really cruise through a tank. Key will be to be a tad more disciplined and not let this tank get overgrown.

ca1ore
11/04/2017, 11:09 PM
Still moving colonies back in from the frag tank. Hooked up the closed loop today. Trying out a pair of random flow generators nozzles. So far so good. This is the first tank where I didn't have to spend hours chasing drips and small plumbing leaks. Secret: solvent weld joints rather than threaded.

Maritimer
11/05/2017, 08:25 AM
I'm kind of interested in those nozzles myself. Got a couple of straight loc-line nozzles on my returns, would be kind of fun to bounce that current around a bit. How well do they handle higher flow? I've possibly got as much as 2.500 gph moving through two 3/4" returns . . .

~Bruce

ca1ore
11/05/2017, 07:17 PM
I'm only pushing about 1,000 gph. Tried goosing the pump and the nozzles popped off the PVC pipe. Not fixed in well enough, clearly. I think they'd handle 2K plus.

ca1ore
11/10/2017, 03:11 PM
Tank is now essentially installed. All plumbing compete (though one of my apex flow sensors insists on dripping) and stand reassembled.

LQT
11/10/2017, 08:56 PM
Very envious of that front to back depth you have... oh the possibilities!

NeverlosT
11/10/2017, 09:14 PM
Awesome tank Simon! How does the drain work with all of those lines? Is it harder to adjust full siphon when there are multiple full siphons? I'm sorry if you already mentioned it, I only reviewed a few of the pages so far.

ca1ore
11/10/2017, 10:48 PM
No worries. I have two of the siphons basically fixed (the ones that feed the ATS and refugium) so only the third requires adjusting. In that sense, no more complex than a standard three drain bean. I have it so that the open channel just trickles. So much better than the old corner flows.

NeverlosT
11/10/2017, 11:57 PM
Gotcha, thanks! I have been designing a 300+ system for our house, but glass was a forgone conclusion up until now. With your experience now, would you still recommend acrylic for a large tank (assuming it sits on a slab, so weight is no issue)?

Also, I use a float switch in my overflow like you. I only have two drains (siphon, and a trickle drain/emergency), then the float acts as the real "emergency switch". If it trips, the main return pump shuts off an warnings are sent out. It gets tested once every few months to ensure functionality, and should prevent the tank from flooding if the two drains clog.

Did you end up having them make some thin circles for your MP40s? Id be interested to see how those came out.

ca1ore
11/11/2017, 08:03 AM
I just haven't had the acrylic tank long enough to be able to yet draw any useful conclusions for myself. Haven't scratched it yet, but it's only been two weeks :lol:. Acrylic is certainly clearer (though I do see slight distortions when looking through it at close range). The corners are much cleaner than glass. If weight is not a major consideration then I think I'd probably still go with glass.

I did have them thin two circles in the back. Ok so far. MP40 would not have stuck to 1 1/8" walls.

saf1
11/11/2017, 09:08 AM
Gotcha, thanks! I have been designing a 300+ system for our house, but glass was a forgone conclusion up until now. With your experience now, would you still recommend acrylic for a large tank (assuming it sits on a slab, so weight is no issue)?

This wasn't to me but figured I'd chime in. Hope you don't mind. If you have young children around glass is safer in most cases. I owned a 100 gallon acrylic and my nephew started to play with the class cleaning magnet. He got it a bit low, sand got on it, and I ended up with a couple scratches. Totally my fault for leaving it within his reach but that is one thing that comes to mind. Cleaning it and younger children.

Weight saving was incredible though. Easy to move around, into and out of the house, etc. To compare it I have a 240 that I have been sitting on for about a year now. Arrived last December and I just put it on the stand about a month ago :( The trouble? Moving it out of the crate and placing it onto the stand for a leak check. Now I am ready to move it into the house and need to sort that out...

Pros for me was the clarity and weight. The Con was managing the inside of the tank with regards to cleaning it and accidental scratches from children. Children are great and it was my fault. You could scratch that off the list if you are more organized than me :)

Forgot to add. To the OP - nice looking tank.

ca1ore
11/11/2017, 10:25 AM
Good point about young children; hopefully mine are now old enough to know better. Either way, I designed the stand trim to make it impossible for the mag cleaner to get too close to the sand.

Benson0219
11/11/2017, 02:52 PM
How do you like the Kessils with the Radions?? I have Kessils and Hydras over my 180 and the corals are growing like crazy.

ca1ore
11/13/2017, 10:19 AM
Combination has mostly worked for me. Shading can be an issue so you end up with more fixtures that you thought you would :lol:

ca1ore
11/13/2017, 10:21 AM
Here's how I have the lights configured.

Benson0219
11/13/2017, 06:57 PM
Mine are configured like that as well. Minimal shadowing. Nice growth

ca1ore
11/17/2017, 12:52 PM
Gradually moving the decent sized frags from the frag tank to display. Have an absolute explosion of those tiny white micro stars in the frag tank.

ca1ore
11/17/2017, 12:55 PM
.... and a picture.

caribfan
11/18/2017, 06:18 AM
Love the Aquascaping Simon, been a while since I tuned in. I can't believe how quickly it seems to have come together.

Any butterflies planned or do you like your corals too much, lol.

ca1ore
11/18/2017, 08:04 AM
Hey Matt. Well there's a pyramid in there, and I have four more loitering in QT. Had a trio but two didn't make the change over. Extremely useful fish as mine developed a taste for Xenia and majanos, but mostly leave everything else alone. Hopefully the resident teaches the newcomers his culinary tastes :). Not adverse to other 'flies, but not entirely sure what to get. I've steered clear of the copperband because I figure my tangs are just too boisterous.

Came together fast because I got sick of the house cluttered with aquarium stuff. Dining room table was covered with various bits of kit and half of the garage was taken up with tank and stand. Plus, patience may be a virtue, but it's not one of mine.

ca1ore
11/19/2017, 10:47 PM
Ended up losing a few fish in the transition, though no corals so far. Tank looks quite 'empty'. So fish plan is as follows, currently:

Four angels - Regal, LemonPeel, flame and Potters
Five tangs: Regal, chevron, desjardini, yellow and purple
Six anthais: three bimacs and three resplendents
Three PJ cardinals
six wrasses: dusky, two leopards, two fairies and a cleaner
One yellow-tail damsel
One watchman
One zebra eel
One pyramid butterfly

I've got a black and zebra tang in the refugium that will get to the display at some point, along with a small gem. Also have four pyramid butterfly in QT.

I'm thinking that I will add a unicorn tang if I can find one of reasonable size, along with a bunch of chalk basslets, a few more yellow-tail damsels and 4-6 additional bimac females.

caribfan
11/24/2017, 07:50 PM
Sorry to hear about the losses Simon. Love your aquascaping btw, wish I had that depth in my tank.