PDA

View Full Version : Those of us With Wells and Septic Tanks..

AquaFrenzy
04/23/2017, 09:46 AM
Good Afternoon, I would like to share something that I learned by someone that works for a septic installation company and has experience with well systems. I was told that it is a really bad idea to dispose of your saltwater (new/old) down your drain as it can severely corrode you septic system especially if its steel construction or concrete. I was also advised to dispose of it as far away from well as possible as the chemicals can contaminate the water. Now I am no expert in this area, but hearing from someone in the field it may hold some truth, just figured I would share and maybe hear your knowledge of it as well :beer:

hkgar
04/23/2017, 03:32 PM
I have no idea if he is right or wrong. I have a well, which is why I opened this, but do not have a septic system, just an out house. Kidding - I am on the city sewer system.

I would guess that he is simply making assumption because of the corrosive nature of salt and has no empirical evidence. I would think, and this is purely assumption, most, if not all, of the salt would be discharged to the septice field and have a negative impact on the surrounding soil and what it could grow.