PDA

View Full Version : Recent DIY Success

Shotter
04/24/2017, 02:29 AM
Hi All,

Nothing brand new here but a topic I wanted to raise in case some were not aware. I for one am always learning and there is so much info it can be hard to come across.

I regular read through the forum and look for info online and it wasn't until I accidentally stumbled across supplementation info.

Over the last week I have been dealing with my water parameters as I had some small issues and money wasn't readily available. My issues related to Mag, Alk and possibly Calcium as a knock on effect t adjusting the previous parameters.

I needed to increase my alkalinity from 6.4 - 9.0. I used 'baked' Bicarbonate of soda (from the cupboard). I baked it as my pH was just under 8 also so was able to take the slight increase in pH that comes from baking the bicarb.

I have also increased my magnesium level from 900 to 1400 in the same time. In the past, I have tried numerous off the shelf products which failed to have any impact and cost me around £100 in attempting. Last week I bought a bag of Magnesium Chloride (food grade) and a bag of Magnesium Sulphate (food grade) - both of these were sold side by side in a pharmacy section of the superstore as 'bath salts'. I blended the salt at 7 1/4 tablespoons of Mag Chloride to 3/4 tablespoon of Sulphate.

Again, I'm taking no credit to this. Randy Holmes has written articles on both of subjects but wanted to share my success and hope it might be seen by some other newcomers needing the same help.

My only advice is this: Test pH and Alkalinity twice a day. I usually test before I add my drip setup to see what the night before has done then also about an hour after the drip has finished to see what shift on the pH and Alk has happened and to ensure the pH doesn't spike too much.

Most importantly, I had some bath salts to help me chill too whilst the corals were getting their 'fix' ;):smokin:

Ron Reefman
04/24/2017, 04:24 AM
Your kind of new here, so don't expect people to be all over this. It's been done for a long time. But it never hurts to bring it up again as there are always a lot of new people here. This hobby turns over people faster than the Russian Roulette Club.

I've got 4 tanks and I use Dowflake for Ca, pool supply soda ash for alk, Mag Flake for MgCl and epsom salt for MgS. I've been using it for about 5 or 6 years now and I keep mostly sps in my main DT. I've never had water parameter issues. Randy's formulas work just great.

Shotter
04/24/2017, 04:43 AM
Thanks Ron,

Exactly my point. I am new here but not to the hobby although I would admit the last 18 months trump my prior 10 years experience in what I have learnt - access to info now is much easier.

I purely raised the thread as a indication of recent success that some others may come across. Believe it or not, raising Alk this way did not come up as quickly as I would have liked when searching so hoped to have a fresh topic at the forefront.

Apologies for cycling older news.

SeaMonkee
04/24/2017, 12:28 PM
Thanks Ron,

Exactly my point. I am new here but not to the hobby although I would admit the last 18 months trump my prior 10 years experience in what I have learnt - access to info now is much easier.

I purely raised the thread as a indication of recent success that some others may come across. Believe it or not, raising Alk this way did not come up as quickly as I would have liked when searching so hoped to have a fresh topic at the forefront.

Apologies for cycling older news.

A lot of info gets buried, so refreshers like this post help newer reefers, like me after several years out of the hobby, to discover new ways. Your post is appreciated, and I'll be digging into this more to reduce maintenance costs for my system.

homer1475
04/24/2017, 03:41 PM
Yup plain old Arm and Hammer baking soda for ALK. Although I use it directly and not bake it as I had an issue with precip a while back and just stayed with the non baked.

Calcium Chloride, magnesium chloride, and magnesium sulfate from BRS, its just easier for me to buy them online then go drive an hour to the closest store to maybe find them.