PDA

View Full Version : What is killing my fish??

Whit Raine
04/24/2017, 04:35 PM
I have a 55 gal tank. It been up and running for about a year and I am trying to figure out what is killing my fish. I have had a fire fish goby and a pigmy angel fish (not at the same time) and they both disappeared by the next morning after putting them in the tank. I have since put in 3 bangai cardinals and nothing has happened to them. They have been in the tank for several weeks. I went to the place where I got the fish and told them that I have these worms in my tank (picture below). They said that could have killed the first two fish that I had. They also told me to get a coral banded shrimp and arrow crabs to get rid of the worms. I have had both in the tank for about two weeks and I added a pistol shrimp a week ago. Everything seemed to be going ok. So I went yesterday and I got a golden head goby and 2 damsel-talbots. I wanted to get some clown fish since the finally had some but I didn't know if everything was good in my tank so the guy at the store said to try the damsels out first to see if everything is ok. When I checked the tank this morning both of the damsels were dead but the goby is fine. I just want to know what is killing my fish. So that I can take care of it and get the fish I want.

badbreath
04/24/2017, 05:08 PM
Did you see bodies?

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk

Whit Raine
04/24/2017, 05:29 PM
On the first 2 fish no. But on these last 2 yes.

kyliesreef
04/24/2017, 07:46 PM
Those worms are bristle worms, 100% not responsible for any fish deaths. They will eat the flesh of dead fish (fantastic cuc) but they aren't responsible for any murders. Do you have live rock by any chance?

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

Whit Raine
04/24/2017, 08:08 PM
Yes. All of my rock, which is about 11 pieces, is live rock.

kyliesreef
04/24/2017, 08:29 PM
I would hazard a guess at a bad stowaway tbh especially if your water quality is good

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

Whit Raine
04/24/2017, 08:39 PM
How do I find out what it is??
Because I'm scared to put anything else in there for it to be killed.
Also why hasn't it killed any of the cardinals or this new goby??

Whit Raine
04/24/2017, 08:43 PM
Also I haven't seen anything ever come out of the rock and the guy at the store said that with those worms being that big that, that was what was killing the fish.

badbreath
04/24/2017, 10:50 PM
I had a brittle star a few years ago that took out 2 clowns, a lawnmower blenny, and a ywg (all smallish and hang out near the bottom, especially at night, unlike cardinals). I have never lost a living fish to bristle worms...you must have a deadly hitch hiker. Keep a flashlight handy at night...that's when the nightmarish critters come out.

Whit Raine
04/25/2017, 02:55 PM
Ok. Thanks. I will keep a look out. Is there any way to lure what ever it is out of the rock so that I can figure out what it is and get rid of it??

badbreath
04/26/2017, 12:57 AM
🍤 or scallop maybe

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk

J2T
04/28/2017, 01:38 PM
Definitely not the bristleworms, that guy doesn't know what he is talking about. I would maybe try camping out late at night to see if anything shows up.

Whit Raine
04/28/2017, 06:16 PM
Yeah I think I'm going to do that tonight.

Whit Raine
04/28/2017, 06:34 PM
I was told that I could dip my rock in fresh water for a few minutes and whatever was living in it would come out and it would not harm the rock. Is this true??