PDA

View Full Version : Quick tank cycle

fishkeeprian
04/25/2017, 01:35 AM
Hi,

What is the quickest way to cycle a tank?

I want to set up a Nem & Clownfish tank. I plan on using dry "Real Reef Rock", with all the products avaliable what should I do?

Do I need to add something to die off in tank and add some bottled Bacteria?

Thanks.

MMacro
04/25/2017, 01:40 AM
Hi,

I want to set up a Nem & Clownfish tank. I plan on using dry "Real Reef Rock", with all the products avaliable what should I do?

Thanks.

Don't rush it. It usually ends poorly.
You can however speed up the cycle using bottled bacteria (http://store.drtimsaquatics.com/One-Only-Live-Nitrifying-Bacteria-for-Saltwater-Aquaria_p_48.html) and pure ammonia (http://store.drtimsaquatics.com/Ammonium-Chloride-Solution-for-Fishless-Cycling_p_190.html).

Greaser9999
04/25/2017, 02:06 AM
^+1 you can also use raw shrimp. I just recently cycled a new setup, used brightwell bacter7 & raw shrimp on 3rd week. Lagged a bit, took me almost 6 weeks to cycle but I didn't want to rush it.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

CrayolaViolence
04/25/2017, 02:48 AM
The only way I have seen a tank set up quickly and be successful is for the build to begin with established live rock and at least a cupful of substrate from an active tank added to the new substrate.

Otherwise don't rush. You can't really rush a nem tank any how. The tank should ideally be set up for at least six months so there are no big chemistry swings, otherwise your nem probably won't make it.

A sea K
04/25/2017, 04:41 AM
The only way I have seen a tank set up quickly and be successful is for the build to begin with established live rock and at least a cupful of substrate from an active tank added to the new substrate.

Otherwise don't rush. You can't really rush a nem tank any how. The tank should ideally be set up for at least six months so there are no big chemistry swings, otherwise your nem probably won't make it.

+1 on both accounts.

Mark9
04/25/2017, 05:53 AM
You can definitely rush the cycle and add a fish quickly.
What you cannot do is rush getting to a full tank.
Add something like Bio-Spira or Dr. Tims which will speed up the cycle.
For me, Bio-Spira works better.
Then add a fish, but take it slow after that.
Give it a month before you add anymore fish, give the tank time to establish.
I wouldn't add any nems for a couple months, maybe 3.
This gives you time to get your routine down and the tank to settle.
Move too fast and you may run into issues.

kissman
04/25/2017, 06:02 AM
The only thing that happens quick in the Reef hobby are tank crashes. Be patient. Use raw shrimp and Microbacter7. Make sure the light you plan to buy is powerful enough to support a nem. They require intense lighting. Also, your tank will go through a lot of changes over the course of a year in becoming balanced, fighting algae, etc. it is recommended that a nem gets added around the 1 year mark. They are sensitive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

monti1
04/25/2017, 06:51 AM
Solid advice here. From my experience being in any sort of rush ends badly. Patience is key here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Breadman03
04/25/2017, 07:49 AM
Hi,

Thanks.

There are a variety of clowns and anemones, and they aren't all natural matches. You should check out the stickies here (http://reefcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=36) to learn which ones have a natural hosting relationship, figure out what you would like and build an appropriate system.

mcgyvr
04/25/2017, 08:12 AM
Fresh (straight from the donor tank so little to no die off/transported in saltwater) live rock, clean dry sand (or no sand) and bacteria in a bottle (I personally like Microbacter7).. No need for a raw shrimp

Monitor for a bit to see how it does and its entirely possible to avoid a cycle or cycle very quickly..

But as others have stated and I FULLY agree "Nothing Good Happens Fast in Reefing/Saltwater"..

While its entirely possible to cycle a tank very fast you are "messing" with Mother Nature.. And she HATES that..

In the long run is usually not the best idea at all and patience will yield a much better result..

TYC
04/25/2017, 08:25 AM
Fresh (straight from the donor tank so little to no die off/transported in saltwater) live rock, clean dry sand (or no sand) and bacteria in a bottle (I personally like Microbacter7).. No need for a raw shrimp
+1 or if u can buy live rock that's been harvested straight from the ocean like I did on my first tank. Bought live rock from Tampa Bay Saltwater who harvests rocks in the Gulf of Mexico and ships them direct to you. Tank cycled in a week due to so much life in the rocks. However I still did not add my 1st fish until 4 weeks later. TBS stopped shipping overseas since 911 due to prohibitive costs/documentation requirements. U can ask LFS or online vendors if they sell live rock harvested directly from the ocean.

U can see what a live rock from the ocean looks like in case u decide to go this route. http://www.tampabaysaltwater.com/testimonials/index.html Having said that, rocks from ocean tend to have hitchhikers but the vast life in these rocks is worth it I believe.

mcgyvr
04/25/2017, 10:06 AM
Even just rock (live rock) from your local fish store should be loaded with bacteria already.. Around here they just have tanks of rock all ready to go..

I've brought a foam cooler and had them throw some saltwater in there and chuck the rock right in.. And away I go..

I've bought "live rock" online that comes in damp newspaper and even being shipped in a day or 2 there is considerable die off.. So if you want fast.. get it local and keep it wet at all times..