PDA

View Full Version : The upside down seahorse

CrayolaViolence
04/26/2017, 02:00 AM
I have a seahorse who has been floating upside down for a month. He appears to have a glass pocket on one side of his belly. He's been eating like a champ and usually hitches on the return, when he hitches. He seems to prefer floating around the tank to catch the food than waiting for it to come to him.

I guess what I'm asking is this, since he's eating, holding good weight, etc. should I attempt to drain the bubble? Or just leave it? I mean, I think I can safely assume it's not going away on its own. While he seems to be fine, I'm sure the situation is also stressful. But I also don't want to cause him more undo stress.

Opinions welcome. Thank you.

DanU
04/26/2017, 05:22 AM
The proper thing to do would be a pouch evacuation. This should be done properly where the pouch is opened with something like a bobby pin and gently manipulate the air out. If the seahorse is not overly stressed and continues to eat (which appears given the time frame), it may eventually work itself out. Can't give you a time frame. I seen it happen before, but it took several weeks for it happen.

Dan

CrayolaViolence
04/26/2017, 09:52 AM
This seahorse may be. Female. I'm not sure, I just said he for general reference.
If it's a female then what? Can I lance it with a hypodermic needle and pull out the air?

nutbar29
04/26/2017, 10:31 AM
Can you take a good picture of him or her to see what we are dealing with. Pictures help a lot to determine the right procedures.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DanU
04/26/2017, 10:47 AM
Agreed, a pic would help.

Definitely would not lance. That would require an incision. Aspiration with a needle is sometimes done by Vetinarians but I would not recommend that to a hobbyist unless you training in it and know the anatomy. You could be at risk of secondary complications that are worse than the current ailment.

Dan