PDA

View Full Version : Switching from 2 part to Calcium reactor

ClownMan727
04/26/2017, 11:25 AM
Need advice on switching from 2 part dosing to a calcium reactor? How is the safest way to do this with out major swings to the parameters? Also, what type of media do you use and do you use the magnesium media in your reactor or do you dose that another way? This is my first calcium reactor and I have never used one before.

bertoni
04/26/2017, 04:50 PM
I think you'll end up dosing some 2-part as you tune the reactor, but I've never used one. I'd start with the reactor calculator:

http://reef.diesyst.com/reactor/reactor.html

Magnesium media can be handy, but it takes some hand-tuning. I'd probably start with plain calcium media, and see how that goes, but then there's be another tuning process to endure if magnesium media is added.

BlackTip
04/26/2017, 05:33 PM
I suggest to stop dosing. If you dose while adjusting your CRx, it would be much more difficult to tune it.

For your tank size, I suggest to start at 25-30 ml a minute at PH 6.8. Test daily and adjust so that the reactor is putting out the same amount the tank is using. What you are looking for is stability in parameters. Once you get your parameters stable, and if the alkalinity is low, use backing soda to bring it up to you liking.

I never had to dose CA. I dose MG manually every month or so.