PDA

View Full Version : What Pumps for new build?

minus9
04/27/2017, 12:04 PM
I'm in the process of building a 90g shallow tank, 36x36x16 and want to keep it "clean" looking. It will be rimless with a floating canopy, shadow ghost overflow on the center back. I have a pair of 6040's that I was going to put on the back wall along with my two returns. I'm thinking of adding two 6095's to the sides or front corners pointing back, but thought about adding the Stream 3 on the back wall to eliminate the front pumps? The rock will be minimal, roughly 40 to 50lbs, half of which is tabling rock. The rock will be "open" in the center portion of the tank and not near the glass. It will be a sps dominated tank, so flow is very important. Also, I'll have some rock glued to the back wall for some tabling sps.
There will be sand, probably 3/4" to 1" deep.
Any thoughts on pump choices?

rvitko
04/27/2017, 12:54 PM
You could use 2 Stream 3 you would like be running them at much less than full power. 2 6095 alone might be a bit on the weak side (probably fine at the start but not after everything grows in) but would work well with the 6040's. 2 6105's could also work, but for the money I would rather have the Stream 3's, they aren't much more.

minus9
04/27/2017, 02:35 PM
Thanks! I like the idea of two stream 3's on the back wall or back side panels pushing slightly inwards and towards the front. I would much rather dial back the flow, then not have enough.
Thanks again!