PDA

View Full Version : Skimz macroalgae reactor

scuzy
04/27/2017, 02:46 PM
Do these come in external or are they only in sump?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Randy_BRS
04/27/2017, 05:12 PM
Do these come in external or are they only in sump?

Hey!

The current models are in-sump only and not external. Hopefully they develop one that could be used either way! :)

-Randy

scuzy
04/27/2017, 05:13 PM
Guess they missed the point of algae reactor to save sump space :)

dmatt56
04/27/2017, 08:10 PM
Do you have any videos planned? How's the quality of the initial batch?

ldc3000
04/27/2017, 10:04 PM
I would also like to see a video on this item. I miss the product demos you all use to do.

Randy_BRS
04/28/2017, 08:55 AM
Hey!

I'll be starting my new video series next week where we sort of get back to the product demo/how-to's. :) I don't have this specific one on the docket, but I will be posting updates on the smaller and larger Skimz reactors on our social media outlets. We have the smaller version installed in the skimmer test tank and the larger reactor on Jay's Red Sea Reefer 525XL!

-Randy

trueperc
04/28/2017, 08:58 AM
Got to say I am interested in this but not sure if I want to be one of the first.

rjkrejci
04/28/2017, 10:25 AM
Is there a min or max water level? Can it be raised a few inches in a sump to help it fit better with a skimmer? Pictures only show the pump input port, but I assume the output port is also in the bottom section, which would mean it probably be raised as long as the bottom section is submerged. But I wanted to confirm.

Trying to figure out if I could have an MBR127 and a Somatic 60s skimmer in the skimmer chamber of a Reefer 250. I think they'll both (tightly) fit in there, but being able to raise the 127 may add some flexibility.

ldc3000
04/28/2017, 10:32 AM
Hey!

I'll be starting my new video series next week where we sort of get back to the product demo/how-to's. :) I don't have this specific one on the docket, but I will be posting updates on the smaller and larger Skimz reactors on our social media outlets. We have the smaller version installed in the skimmer test tank and the larger reactor on Jay's Red Sea Reefer 525XL!

-Randy

That's good to hear. I look forward to the new series.

oh207
05/15/2017, 07:36 AM
I was planning to convert their monster FM150 reactor to an external chaeto reactor.

Maybe I should wait a bit more to see if they make an external version of this.

OR maybe BRS can make this a future DIY. :)

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

Randy_BRS
05/15/2017, 09:44 AM
I was planning to convert their monster FM150 reactor to an external chaeto reactor.
Maybe I should wait a bit more to see if they make an external version of this.
OR maybe BRS can make this a future DIY. :)
Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

Funny you mention this! One of our former CS team members actually did this exact thing with a Skimz Media Reactor and wrapped it with red strip LEDs. We didn't have it up and running long enough to capture results, but it was done and external! ;)

It can be done. The question is how successful will it be. :)

-Randy

oh207
05/15/2017, 07:29 PM
It can be done. The question is how successful will it be. :)

-Randy

Eagerly awaiting the results and the answer to this questions. ;) :thumbsup:

shakaloha
05/16/2017, 11:05 PM
It'd be awesome if there was a way to plumb it off my manifold... Don't really want another pump running in my system. Anyone know if it's possible?

Kinetic
08/11/2017, 02:01 AM
ok, it's in-sump, defeating the purpose. I think getting a huge BRS media reactor, wrapping it in LED's like Randy mentioned, should work great.

Randy_BRS
08/11/2017, 03:26 PM
ok, it's in-sump, defeating the purpose. I think getting a huge BRS media reactor, wrapping it in LED's like Randy mentioned, should work great.

I can't wait until someone starts a thread on these DIY reactors! I'm excited to see the results! :)

-Randy