PDA

View Full Version : So what happened to my firefish?

Fel
04/27/2017, 04:30 PM
So about a week and a half ago I came home from work and my firefish was missing. I have a lid and there's no body laying around so I don't believe he jumped. So I see four options:

1. He just died and my pistol shrimp dragged the body into his lair.
2. The pistol shrimp killed my firefish and dragged the body into his lair.
3. My chalk bass killed the firefish and my pistol shrimp dragged the body into his lair.
4. Somebody broke into my house and stole my firefish.

Seriously though, I want to replace him and was thinking of another firefish but not if the new one is just going to be killed too. Do you think it's likely that either the chalk bass or pistol shrimp killed him? I don't have anything else that could kill a fish. I have a randall's gobie too and the chalk bass and pistol shrimp both ignore him. The chalk bass and the firefish each had their own part of the aquarium and I never saw the chalk bass go after him or anything.

crankbait09
04/27/2017, 06:07 PM
I can almost relate to this story..Only fish I don't have is the pistol shrimp.

I have clowns, chalk bass, tomini tang, coris wrasse, and a randalls goby. Along with CUC crew.

Had the firefish for a couple months, and that time included the QT time.

One day my baby firefish ended up missing. I couldn't figure it out. I have screen tops and there was no where he could have gone, other than in the other tank mates gut. I wrote that one off and kept an eye on the other. About 1-2 weeks later, the second fire fish came up missing. Same scenerio.

I'd like to think it's the chalk bass but I honestly have no clue. I have never seen them charge the firefish, nor any of the other fish I have. They seemed to mind their own, so I thought. So I don't have an answer of where they are going, but I had the same problem.

Seems like we have the chalk bass in common, but I really don't know if they are the reason.

Not saying this was the reason, but I was told that if a fish is sick, or not in a good way, that the CUC and other fish will make short work of it, in no time. So it's hard to tell if they were sick, or bullied while they slept.

jmm
04/29/2017, 03:53 PM
I've had a pair for years. Sometimes one or both will go missing for as long as a month and then come back like nothing happened.

jd371
04/29/2017, 10:26 PM
Mine goes missing when there's an addition to the tank. Last Summer it was a pair of Wrasses that had him missing for 3 weeks. Recently added a CBB and now he's been hiding for 2 weeks. He has come out in the past few days when feeding for a quick snack.

FoxFace Fish
05/01/2017, 10:28 AM
Hahahah you figured it out.... It was i who broke in and stole thy firefish and with it i will take over the aquarium world!!!

mcgyvr
05/01/2017, 12:21 PM
Hahahah you figured it out.... It was i who broke in and stole thy firefish and with it i will take over the aquarium world!!!

Are you the same one that stole my Eggo waffle? Jerk :p