PDA

View Full Version : Frag tank filtration??

SpikeDangles
04/28/2017, 06:32 PM
I am setting up a 10gallon tank as a frag tank/ coral quarantine. I'm going to buy a few frags at a time, QT and observe while they grow out, then add to display if everything is good.

This tank is going to be separate from the display and I was planning to add some snails and one small fish. I have a Jebao pp4 for water flow and I'm using mars hydro led for lighting.

My question is, what kind of filtration is needed here if I'm going to do 10-15% weekly water changes? Space is limited so I was hoping a simple hang on filter would suffice. Any recommendations?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

scobeyra
05/04/2017, 07:18 PM
That should be fine as long as you don't add fish. If you have space, add some bio balls or even sand. I started with a bare bottom frag tank and eventually added sand it did better almost right away.

ali1
05/04/2017, 07:25 PM
Best filter for small tanks is water changes. I would ditch the filter and allow powerhead to circulate everythig so corals grab everything.

AlSimmons
05/05/2017, 10:55 AM
I would just use a HOB filter and call it a day. If the frags are going to be suspnded on a rack though you could add a few pieces of live rock to the tank and put these under them. This is basically what I did in my 10 gallon frag tank.