PDA

View Full Version : FMM flow sensor placement

FullBoreReefer
04/30/2017, 07:35 AM
I'm finally getting around to installing my flow sensors, frankly I didn't wanna tear into my system quite yet lol, so anyways, I have a question. First, here's what I have...

1 - FMM
2 - 1" FS
2 - 1/2" FS

I have a few ideas for my install. One 1/2" FS will go to my ATS which also feeds into my fuge, the other 1/2" will go to my dual reactor. These are ran off a manifold using a separate pump other than the return. Then I can keep these running while I maintenance the display. That's the easy part haha

Then I was thinking of using both 1" FS's for my return line. Meaning, instead of one sensor on the main line, I would wait until my plumbing tees and have one sensor on each side of my dual returns. My tank is an in wall, specs below, and is plumbed over the back panel so access and placement is easy. So, would using two be more accurate in this fashion? Or would it only help me to dial in the same flow rates per side?

Or, do I only use one on the main return line, and save the spot on the FMM for something down the road? As of now I do not plan on using one on a drain side.

Thanks.

JustinFromAL
05/01/2017, 09:54 AM
I suppose running the two 1" on each return would yield some useable data, as far as adjusting each side to match flow. I'd be more inclined to use the other sensor on a return, possibly the open channel of a BeanAnimal setup so I'd know when my overflow needed a tune up.

FullBoreReefer
05/01/2017, 10:52 AM
The only reason I am shying away from placing on a drain is that its giving another way for it to clog. Even the 1" sensor doesn't give much extra room inside for large (er) debris

JustinFromAL
05/03/2017, 01:03 PM
Good point, that's why I'd only do it on the open channel of a BeanAnimal. Just to know when the full siphon isn't tuned correctly.

FullBoreReefer
05/03/2017, 01:32 PM
Good point, that's why I'd only do it on the open channel of a BeanAnimal. Just to know when the full siphon isn't tuned correctly.

Makes sense, then comes the issue of the flow requirements of the sensor. 150-1500gph.

Unless your siphon plugged, do you think the normal tuning of the BeanAnimal system would register on the sensor since it has 150gph minimum? I ask because mine is a very low trickle, unless something major changes.

For my emergency drain, I was thinking of putting a small piece of clear pvc in line before my sump (unions and all so I can clean it), and then use an optical sensor to detect the slightest bit of water trickling down. Would this work do you think?

JustinFromAL
05/08/2017, 09:27 AM
That's a good call, I don't know that it would register a trickle. I think the problem with the optical sensor would be achieving a consistent "state".

FullBoreReefer
05/08/2017, 10:41 AM
I decided on a 1" sensor on each of my return pipes, a 1/2" on my ATS and a reactor.

http://i1156.photobucket.com/albums/p576/Dane_Brillhart/Screenshot_2017-05-08-11-35-32_zpspemoqrdh.png (http://s1156.photobucket.com/user/Dane_Brillhart/media/Screenshot_2017-05-08-11-35-32_zpspemoqrdh.png.html)

FullBoreReefer
05/08/2017, 11:06 AM
I'm waiting on my second kit, I'll have left over 1/2" sensors though but it'll allow me to cover what I want and leave a few extra ports on the FMM