PDA

View Full Version : Po4 and my tank

Str8linespeed
04/30/2017, 10:31 AM
Good morning everyone,

I've consistently have had .05ppm Po4 readings in my RSM 250. Ive been testing with the Hanna ULR tester and the lowest I've ever had was .03. The only way I could get it that low was doing 10gal. water changes every 2 days for 1 week. That ended up being a lot of wasted water IMO so I stopped doing that.

All of my corals look happy and healthy, and have been growing great. Im using the BRS high capacity GFO in my reactor. The fish are happy and I have zero algae of any kind in my tank. Should I be concerned, or just keep doing what Im doing?

JustinM
04/30/2017, 12:43 PM
I everything is looking good and you have no algae, keep doing what you're doing. It is a little high but not too high.

Timfish
04/30/2017, 12:55 PM
I would say don't chase numbers. Average PO4 readings on reefs is .13 mg/l. If you search algae problems you'll find lots of threads where PO4 has been stripped out but they still have algae problems. Corals need phosphate as much as algae does and if you are overly aggressive in removing it the corals cannot compete with the algae for ammonia and nitrate.

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2601390&highlight=skimmerless