PDA

View Full Version : New To The Game

Ryan Darilek
04/30/2017, 11:58 PM
Hi all!! Relatively new to the game here ... I had a fish only set up years ago but didn't have the funds to continue considering this isn't the cheapest hobby out there. Fast forward several years and I found myself visiting a LFS to kill time in between meetings and ended up walking out with a Biocube 32 LED which I am pretty excited about!! I'm on day 4 and am beyond excited to get my first nano reef looking amazing. I'm doing plenty of research and am trying to dot my i's and cross my t's throughout this process. Any input or advice throughout this journey is greatly appreciated! If you've been in my shoes and could go back and change anything, what would that be?
My tank is of course cycling and has a ways to go, but it's well underway. I'll be happy to post pictures and updates if anyone is interested https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170501/2cf1018a140929afd42333a816c54afc.jpg

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

farfromsea
05/01/2017, 02:29 AM
Dip your corals. Avoid vermetids :) cool scape. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rockhead51
05/01/2017, 04:14 AM
Hi, Ryan. I'm running the same tank. Started in November. My best advice is to plan what you want the tank to look like when it is mature, and then buy and place your corals accordingly.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Ritten
05/01/2017, 05:23 AM
Looks beautiful! Perfect advice above. This is also a good time to get your flow needs addressed according to the corals you want to keep.

ReefWreak
05/01/2017, 08:43 AM
Welcome!

Go slow. Bad things happen quickly, good things take time. Plan out as rockhead51 said (though I know that is really hard, as you learn more you'll want to change direction many times).

Quarantine if you have the room for it. At minimum perform Tank Transfer Method (TTM) for quarantining new fishes when you get them, to save yourself the headache and heartache of bringing in a new fish that kills everything by accident through disease.

We're here to help, feel free to post questions. But before you post questions or send a Private Message (PM), be sure to search search search! Use "site:reefcentral.com/forums/" when google searching to narrow your searches to Reefcentral posts, as that usually helps.

Ryan Darilek
05/01/2017, 12:01 PM
Thanks so much for the feedback guys! There is SO much to this and a ton to learn, so its wonderful to have the resources in this forum and people by my side with a wealth of experience.

@rockhead do you have a picture or two you'd be willing to share!? Would love to see your setup.

@Ritten I added a Hydor Koralia circulation/wave pump to the tank yesterday (425 gph). Do you think this will suffice as decent flow? And is the waver maker controller necessary for this size tank? I figured I'd at least ask before dropping the additional $70 to a pump that was already $35.

@ReefWreak I initially wasn't planning on a quarantine, but after reading so much in the forums... I've realized that it's absolutely necessary. I'll be sure to search the forums in depth before posting asking rookie questions ... Don't want to be "that guy" lol.

Thanks again for chiming in!!!

evokid511
05/01/2017, 01:32 PM
looks great man! i had that set up as well, its a great tank, i believe there are a few mods you can do to the filtration system that will definitely help ya out

Ryan Darilek
05/01/2017, 01:41 PM
looks great man! i had that set up as well, its a great tank, i believe there are a few mods you can do to the filtration system that will definitely help ya out
Thanks brother ... What mods did you do on yours?

evokid511
05/01/2017, 01:48 PM
Thanks brother ... What mods did you do on yours?

i bought the InTank media basket and fuge basket, and changed out the return pump for something better, i forget which one i went to though :(

Ryan Darilek
05/01/2017, 02:04 PM
Got ya. I thought the return pump seemed a little weak, so that's a great idea!

evokid511
05/01/2017, 02:07 PM
Got ya. I thought the return pump seemed a little weak, so that's a great idea!

theres always room for more flow! haha :D

rockhead51
05/01/2017, 03:55 PM
All I have is old pics. I'll get some more taken/posted.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk