PDA

View Full Version : Test strips Vs test kit

gareth.hubbarde
05/01/2017, 10:02 AM
Hey all. I bought a test kit only to find once I used it that it's for fresh water. It does give results in saltwater but not all of them work. Therefore as I already spent money I almost begrudge paying a lot more for another kit. The one I'm looking at is by API. However in the interim I noticed they sell a set of test strips at a fraction of the cost. If I use the strips and my test kit I should get enough information until I can buy a new full kit. Does anyone else use strips, are they any good, will they do a job?

Sent from my Lenovo YT3-X50F using Tapatalk

BillyOcean
05/01/2017, 10:15 AM
Unfortunately....bite the bullet. Salifert or red Sea test kits. I prefer red sea...but Salifert is great too. I will say that API ammonia test kits will be just fine

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

mcgyvr
05/01/2017, 10:20 AM
Personally I have found the "strips" to be ok for ballpark numbers but not accurate enough for "proper" testing/diagnosis..
Ammonia strip is fine as you really only need it during cycling.. same with nitrite

API reef master kit is cheap and basically has most of what you really need...

I really only test for
nitrates (every couple weeks now.. would use it weekly when a tank is new)
alk (weekly)
cal (every couple weeks)
I have but rarely use a mag and phosphate test kit..

Knighthawk
05/01/2017, 10:21 AM
API is fine for PH, ammonia, and nitrite. Would recommend getting Red Sea for calcium and magnesium and nitrate. Hanna ULR phosphorus and Hanna alkalinity.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gareth.hubbarde
05/01/2017, 10:31 AM
Thanks all, for now might get strips as tank is near end of cycling. Do I need to check for calcium yet as nothing much in there to use what's there. Also I have 2 part reef supplement from Kent marine that I believe helps with calcium and other water conditions. Don't really use it during cycling.

mcgyvr
05/01/2017, 12:15 PM
More than likely you water changes alone will keep cal/alk,etc.. in good range..
Its not until you start to get a bunch of corals,etc.. that you need to start dosing..

But without test kits for it you don't know when thats needed...

Only add alk/cal,etc.. when you test for it and know your daily consumption rate..
Don't just start adding it to the tank until you know what your levels are..

MondoBongo
05/01/2017, 12:18 PM
Thanks all, for now might get strips as tank is near end of cycling. Do I need to check for calcium yet as nothing much in there to use what's there. Also I have 2 part reef supplement from Kent marine that I believe helps with calcium and other water conditions. Don't really use it during cycling.

it depends on your goals, but it's certainly not a bad idea to test.

if you're not keeping stony corals, then alkalinity will be more important to test than calcium. alkalinity helps fish maintain their slime coats, so even without corals in the tank it's an important one to watch.

if you are planning on keeping stony corals, then testing both will be important.

i'll echo the comments of the other posters in saying that i've had mixed results at best with the strip tests, and only slightly better results with the API tests. i typically treat the API tests as cycle only kinds of things. they give you a basic picture of ups and downs, but beyond that i don't find much value in them.

my preferred tests are Hannah for alkalinity and calcium (mostly due to the convenience factor, but Red Sea, Salifert, and Seachem all make great tests too).

for other testing i'll second (or maybe third or fourth at this point) Red Sea and Salifert. i've had limited exposure to the Red Sea brand, but regularly use some of the Salifert tests and like them. i think one of the better aspects of the Salifert tests is that the directions are extremely clear and unambiguous. that's helpful even if you've been in the hobby for a while.

gareth.hubbarde
05/03/2017, 11:32 AM
I have ordered salifert tests for nitrate, calcium, ph and phosphate. And test strips for ammonia etc.

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk