PDA

View Full Version : What happend to the live rock?

fishdip22
05/01/2017, 03:30 PM
I can not find any actual live rock any more. Not even good old Florida live rock in less I want like 60 pounds. So any help on finding it would be awesome.

scuzy
05/01/2017, 03:35 PM
To heavy to ship wet. Most are dry rocks now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

jeepj667
05/01/2017, 03:46 PM
Tampabaysaltwater.com

Nanook
05/01/2017, 03:49 PM
www.livestockusa.org

Mitch can get it still. Demand went down with the terrestrial dry rock craze of no cooties millenials:lol: Live and learn!

fishdip22
05/01/2017, 04:38 PM
www.livestockusa.org

Mitch can get it still. Demand went down with the terrestrial dry rock craze of no cooties millenials:lol: Live and learn!

No cooties millennials :lolspin::lolspin:

d2mini
05/01/2017, 04:59 PM
www.tbsaltwater.com

sirreal63
05/01/2017, 05:44 PM
www.livestockusa.org

:thumbsup:

Gladmaker
05/01/2017, 05:45 PM
I ordered 20 lbs from Salty Bottom Reef Company. They have a leased place on the Gulf where they culture their rock. They called me this morning and said they were out and would have to go dive for some more this weekend. Their shipping price was more reasonable than other places.

d2mini
05/01/2017, 08:32 PM
I ordered 20 lbs from Salty Bottom Reef Company. They have a leased place on the Gulf where they culture their rock. They called me this morning and said they were out and would have to go dive for some more this weekend. Their shipping price was more reasonable than other places.

So it's shipped in wet newspaper and arrives half dead?
Or is it shipped submerged in water?

TBS ships in water and you receive it in a matter of hours via Air Freight.
Yeah, it costs more to ship, but this is the only way to keep it all ALIVE.

Nanook
05/01/2017, 08:35 PM
I've cured fresh live rock from all over the Pacific for close to 20 years shipped damp in wet newspaper. It has some dieoff but the life that survived would blow your socks off. It doesn't have to be submerged to survive!

Jessie2406
05/01/2017, 08:43 PM
+1 tampa bay saltwater!

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

Nanook
05/01/2017, 08:45 PM
I do think TBS has amazing rock, their packages are very high value!

d2mini
05/01/2017, 08:56 PM
I've cured fresh live rock from all over the Pacific for close to 20 years shipped damp in wet newspaper. It has some dieoff but the life that survived would blow your socks off. It doesn't have to be submerged to survive!

Oh yeah, i'm sure stuff survives... but like you said, you cured it because of the die off... correct?

I'm lazy and impatient. I like instant reef in a box. :lolspin:
Pick it up at the airport, bring it home, and shove it in the tank.

My tank at just two weeks old.
Might not be for everyone, but I just can't complain about no cycle. :D

https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-FJ4Dx6J/1/25993295/O/i-FJ4Dx6J.jpg

Nanook
05/01/2017, 09:00 PM
Yes, lots of die off but tons of cool stuff comes back, even acropora and montipora. Lots of cool worms too:)

Nanook
05/01/2017, 09:01 PM
BTW, beautiful rock and tank:)

d2mini
05/01/2017, 09:13 PM
Acros and montis... that's awesome. Can't beat free coral!!! :bounce3:

JWClark
05/02/2017, 03:10 AM
I just got 20lbs from ARC Reef. They aquaculture off the coast near Miami. Shipped with a wet towel. Looks like some sponges and stuff have survived. This is the seed rock for a mix of dry from BRS that has been curing in a brute. Not TBS but not a bad second. been in the tank 3 days so we'll see what comes out.

smatter
05/02/2017, 07:53 AM
Ask for the live Pukani at TBS. It's by far the nicest live rock I have ever seen, and I've been doing this since 1987.

Rene Obergfell
05/02/2017, 07:37 PM
Really have to search for good ocean live rock.
I'm not a fan of fake rock!

Mishri
05/03/2017, 10:06 AM
yep.. I have TBS that i've had for 2 years now in my 40breeder.. will move that over to the 300 gallon when it's ready. I'll probably order another batch soon.. like a 30 gallon "the package" and once I'm sure I have no nasty hitchers I'll move it to my 300 gallon as well. I still have some neat encrusting florida coral on the first batch... gorilla and stone crabs were my pains in the first batch.. stone crabs in particular were nasty...

jda
05/03/2017, 03:37 PM
Any good store can still get quality pacific rock. It is porous, phosphate free and the best available. The wholesalers in Cali still get it all the time. For many, there is absolutely no substitute and if you buy it by the box, it is not all that expensive either.

Don't be foolish like other people and think that what is on the surface of the rock is the prize - it will normally die off in your tank and what does survive might not be good. The phosphate free internal structure full of bacteria is what you really want. This will survive being shipped dry. The curing process will take care of the other nasty stuff.

Also, only fools think that rocks are the only thing that bring cooties into their tanks. The first frag plug, coral on a rock or snail/crab shell will have enough to start aiptasia, bubble algae or any other kind of cootie that you can imagine. This is not a good reason to buy dry rock.