PDA

View Full Version : Transfer to DT early? Will be gone for 3 days

Berta600
05/01/2017, 08:14 PM
Hi all. I have 5 pajama cardinal fish I got from Live Aquaria a week ago in a 29 gal QT tank. Live Aquaria seems to have an extensive QT process and recommend doing a 2 week QT once fish arrive.

Today my ammonia read around .25 (API) and I'm leaving town Friday coming back Monday. Should I just add them to my DT? I added an ammonia neutralized and will do a 4 gal water change tomorrow.

My DT has been set up for 2 months and had Turbos and hermits for the last month. Thanks.

Berta600
05/01/2017, 08:23 PM
I should have added that my RO system only has a 3.2 gal tank so it takes me a long time to get even 8 gal mixed (4 in each 5 gal bucket) so big water changes are hard.

Plus I read you should allow the water to come to temp and the salt mix in overnight (with heater and pump) so that's what I've been doing.

turbogarrett
05/01/2017, 08:42 PM
I moved a couple fish from qt to dt early a couple months ago and lost most of my fish in my fowlr because of it (suspect velvet). Fish seemed fine in qt, was going out of town for a 4 day weekend so I rolled the dice. Won't be doing that again.

bean2986
05/01/2017, 09:01 PM
Since they are the only fish that will be in the DT it doesn't really matter right? No other fish to kill or infect? Just be ready to catch them all again and run the DT fallow if they come down with something. Are you doing any meds or TTM? If not you're not really cutting anything short except observation time...

Tripod1404
05/01/2017, 09:33 PM
Liveaquaria has no qt procedure what so ever. Fish from liveaquaria are sold by quality marine, the same place that petco gets fish. It is diversden that is shipped drfosterandsmith facility, those are qtied by liveaquaria.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tripod1404
05/01/2017, 09:36 PM
Since they are the only fish that will be in the DT it doesn't really matter right? No other fish to kill or infect? Just be ready to catch them all again and run the DT fallow if they come down with something. Are you doing any meds or TTM? If not you're not really cutting anything short except observation time...

There are diseases that you cannot eradicate by going fallow, such as uronema.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JUNBUG361
05/01/2017, 09:41 PM
I think the fish will be okay. Only 4 gallons of water change(.25 ammonia)????

Berta600
05/02/2017, 07:33 AM
The most I can do at a time now is an 8 gal water change. Should I wait another day until I can do that? Also, how long do you all mix your water?

sde1500
05/02/2017, 07:47 AM
Live Aquaria doesn't QT fish. DD does, but they still don't guarantee disease free. I'd do a good water change now. Then change as much water as you can right before you leave on Friday, plus add the ammonia neutralizer. Have more ready for Monday when you return to do another.

I tend to do 24 hrs mixed, but also have some saltwater mixed at all times. Powerhead and heater in a Brute trash can.

scooter31707
05/02/2017, 08:39 AM
Also, I don't think you truly have ammonia in your tank. API ammonia test kits are known to give a false reading of 0.25ppm. I would get another reliable test kit and compare to make sure.

Dealseer
05/02/2017, 08:49 AM
Also, I don't think you truly have ammonia in your tank. API ammonia test kits are known to give a false reading of 0.25ppm. I would get another reliable test kit and compare to make sure.

People say this, but I've never experienced it.

Smokey Stover
05/02/2017, 08:51 AM
Why not just keep them in the QT for 3 more days? Do another water change and add some Prime just before you leave.

Berta600
05/02/2017, 11:44 AM
All I've been doing is observing. I wasn't going to treat unless there was a problem. They are eating great, curious, and swimming around well. They barely seem to even breathing, so I'm thinking they're good.

How do you test ammonia after using neutralizers? I read most tests don't separate out ammonia vs ammonium (which is what I'm assuming Prime and the others turn it into). And how stable is the ammonium?

I was thinking transfer to DT (no other fish now) to minimize stress since that's what seems to make fish sick. I mean, aren't there a bunch of illnesses around (snails, hermits, etc) and within the fish that are always present anyway? But it's when they're stressed that they fall prey?

Sk8r
05/02/2017, 12:43 PM
Not true, that. Ich and bacteria don't appear out of nothing and do not hide forever in fish. If you're thinking that three days untended will stress them, it won't. If you're thinking you can't trust the water, just put them in brand new clean water and be sure the aeration is very good. There's no sense to risk a 72 day fallow period for your cycled tank for fear the fish will starve to death in 3 days.