PDA

View Full Version : Return pumps AC DC External Interal

McCune
05/01/2017, 08:28 PM
I understand that the new DC pumps have loads of features like slow start, feed mode, and have quite operation and low wattage used,

AC are louder and what you get is what the pump runs at which can only be adjusted by valves also heat will be generated by the pump being submerge.

Enternal pumps seem to pack serious punch when it comes to flow. Personally I have not used one but am seriously considering one this time around.

I am debating whether I should go with proven performance of external pump such as reeflo or go with the new shiny toy in the DC pumps
I am deciding between Reef octupus varios 8 and a reeflo.

Chime in with your experiences and personal opinions

ca1ore
05/01/2017, 10:07 PM
I have said this many times, but the most important 'feature' for a main return pump is reliability. Everything else is secondary. While the current crop of DC pumps seem appealing, they only seem that way. Since they've not been out long enough, there's no way to gauge reliability. By comparison I ran an Iwaki for almost 20 years continuously and have a few PanWorld pumps approaching 10 years. If 10 years from now the DC pumps show comparable reliability, I'll be all in. For something less critical, like a closed loop, a DC may be a very good choice.

ksed
05/02/2017, 06:18 AM
Enough said!!!
BTW , I have an Eheim going on12 years now.

Vinny Kreyling
05/02/2017, 09:23 AM
Outside of either Abyzz or Royal Exclusive pumps none handle head pressure well.
Basement sump forget it.
I've had 2 DC's crap out on me so far & have gone back to a Fluval.

gcarroll
05/02/2017, 09:49 AM
I can't believe that people criticize cheap Chinese DC pumps for reliability! Some people have run them for a year or two without failure. The most important thing for a return pump is all the cool features! We live in a disposable era and everything can be replaced. If the pumps craps out, the worse thing that happens is that the inhabitants all die. Big deal, they can be replaced and I will still be ahead of the game with all the money I have saved!

ca1ore
05/02/2017, 11:34 AM
Outside of either Abyzz or Royal Exclusive pumps none handle head pressure well.

True. Even presumed 'step up' DC pumps like the Vectra struggle significantly with back pressure. I'm using one as my CL pump, and it works well in that role; but when I tried it as my basement return pump ..... pfffffft. Not impressive at all. Barely got 200 gph out of it. PW200, conversely, only loses about 1/3.

Vinny Kreyling
05/02/2017, 12:15 PM
gcarroll,
Sorry but I am old school having run a used Iwaki for 10+ years I expect longevity.
Both my DC pumps lasted less than 2years, NG in my book.

gcarroll
05/02/2017, 01:08 PM
gcarroll,
Sorry but I am old school having run a used Iwaki for 10+ years I expect longevity.
Both my DC pumps lasted less than 2years, NG in my book.Hmmm, now that I read mye earlier statement, that side of the argument seems completely idiotic. I just wanted to see how it felt from the other side. I feel it's important to embrace all sides of an argument. :lolspin:

ca1ore
05/02/2017, 01:09 PM
I think he was being sarcastic ....

gcarroll
05/02/2017, 01:16 PM
I think he was being sarcastic ....I'm talking about my earlier comment, not his. Edited my statement to clarify that.

ca1ore
05/02/2017, 01:20 PM
Yes, it was a simultaneous post .... was responding to VK that your first post was tongue in cheek .... at least I assumed it was :lol:

gcarroll
05/02/2017, 01:22 PM
lol

ksed
05/02/2017, 05:22 PM
He was just being an ***. hole . ;)

ROB2005
05/02/2017, 05:26 PM
I can't believe that people criticize cheap Chinese DC pumps for reliability! Some people have run them for a year or two without failure. The most important thing for a return pump is all the cool features! We live in a disposable era and everything can be replaced. If the pumps craps out, the worse thing that happens is that the inhabitants all die. Big deal, they can be replaced and I will still be ahead of the game with all the money I have saved!

Well well...lol. Not everyone has disposable income:D. I do prefer longevity, over shelling cash out for a brand new pump several times. Still have a mag drive 7 that has served me well since 2005. Only had to replace a broken impeller.