PDA

View Full Version : sump design

madball13
05/01/2017, 08:49 PM
Whats everyones opinions on the best sump designs, pictures of what you are running are welcome :)

thegrun
05/01/2017, 10:04 PM
Here is a top down view of the sump I built for my 120. I like the Filter sock/skimmer->refugium->return pump configuration.
http://i654.photobucket.com/albums/uu262/greenirons/120%20Gallon/018%20Sump%20Top%20Down_zpsg8lw9xta.jpg (http://s654.photobucket.com/user/greenirons/media/120%20Gallon/018%20Sump%20Top%20Down_zpsg8lw9xta.jpg.html)

http://i654.photobucket.com/albums/uu262/greenirons/120%20Gallon/120%20tank%20and%20Corals%20001_zpsms3mtj29.jpg (http://s654.photobucket.com/user/greenirons/media/120%20Gallon/120%20tank%20and%20Corals%20001_zpsms3mtj29.jpg.html)

mcgyvr
05/02/2017, 05:25 AM
One that fits all the equipment you need and is easy to maintain/clean/access..

d0ughb0y
05/02/2017, 08:07 AM
Regarding sump design, I've seen several sump designs where there is a small section that takes the overflow water, then rises up and goes to the filter sock section. I think this design defeats the purpose of the filter sock because detritus can end up in that small overflow section and never reach the filter sock.

Dale_M
05/02/2017, 09:35 AM
Here is a top down view of the sump I built for my 120. I like the Filter sock/skimmer->refugium->return pump configuration.

Did you obtain the baffle parts and sock holders as a kit?
If so, where?

thegrun
05/02/2017, 12:56 PM
Regarding sump design, I've seen several sump designs where there is a small section that takes the overflow water, then rises up and goes to the filter sock section. I think this design defeats the purpose of the filter sock because detritus can end up in that small overflow section and never reach the filter sock.

If there is any trapped detritus in the small section it could easily be vacuumed out with a wet/dry vacuum, so I would not be concerned about it. I still like feeding the water directly into the sock however.

thegrun
05/02/2017, 12:56 PM
If so, where?

I made it from black acrylic. As a side note I like to use black acrylic on either side of the refugium to block the light and minimize algae growth in the sections adjoining the refugium.

d0ughb0y
05/02/2017, 01:37 PM
If there is any trapped detritus in the small section it could easily be vacuumed out with a wet/dry vacuum, so I would not be concerned about it. I still like feeding the water directly into the sock however.

exactly the reason why it is a bad design.
I think the reason for this design is to muffle the sound of water splash or bubbles coming into the sump, as this section is usually completely enclosed. maybe for durso overflow, this will help, but is not needed for herbie.

The first generation eshopps sump feeds directly to the sock, and is partially enclosed to muffle any water splashing sound. I use this sump and durso and it muffles the water sound enough. The newer generation separated the drain to its own section, which can have detritus collect, defeating the purpose of the filter sock, at least partly.

feeding water directly to the sock is the right design, which is what you have.

d0ughb0y
05/02/2017, 01:45 PM
If so, where?

I see them on ebay, but I think are way overpriced.
they are described to be installed on glass aquarium, which in another thread here on RC says never to do as it will crack a glass tank.

you can get a standard aquarium and buy cut glass to build your own sump. There are standard hang on sock holder for 4" or 7" socks you can get for cheap.

jeepj667
05/02/2017, 02:09 PM
I've built sumps with acrylic baffles in glass tanks and never had a tank crack. As long as you don't cut the acrylic so big that you have to wedge them in tight there is no reason for it to cause a crack.
I've heard them say acrylic expands and contracts different from glass but we're not exposing them to large temp swings. My tanks stay within 2-3 degrees.

Lsufan
05/02/2017, 05:46 PM
I think the reason for this design is to muffle the sound of water splash or bubbles coming into the sump, as this section is usually completely enclosed. maybe for durso overflow, this will help, but is not needed for herbie.

The first generation eshopps sump feeds directly to the sock, and is partially enclosed to muffle any water splashing sound. I use this sump and durso and it muffles the water sound enough. The newer generation separated the drain to its own section, which can have detritus collect, defeating the purpose of the filter sock, at least partly.

The reason for the pipes to have there own section is because it makes the socks easier to change. U don't have to shut down the system to change the socks. It's actually quieter to have the pipe go straight into the sock because u don't have a waterfall going into the sock.
The only way detritus will build up in that section is if u have real low flow. Any real amount of flow is enough to keep detritus in the water column & not collect in that section.
I wouldn't say eighther way is wrong because they both work. Having the pipes in there own section makes it easier to change out the socks, the only downside is it takes up a few extra inches of the sump.

d0ughb0y
05/02/2017, 05:56 PM
good point. you really cannot change the socks if sump is not drained without getting the sock ring go under water releasing the detritus, unless you can remove the hose or pipe sticking into the sock.

thegrun
05/02/2017, 06:46 PM
I used silicone hose for the final drain line termination into the filter sock (see picture above), it's easy to move over the drain line with the return pump running, pull out the old sock and put a new one in. No need to turn off your pump.

madball13
05/02/2017, 07:23 PM
Ive heard a lot of people say not to use socks as they just create more problems than they take out, any thoughts?

thegrun
05/02/2017, 08:52 PM
You need to clean them every 3-4 days or they are of minimal value, but if you stay on top of changing them out they definitely help reduce nitrates and phosphates. I keep a 5 gallon bucket half full of water and a cup of bleach that I dump the dirty socks into. Every couple of weeks I wash all the dirty socks in the washing machine with a cup of bleach (no soap or detergent) and then air dry them. Not a lot of work for quite a bit of benefit IMHO.

AlSimmons
05/03/2017, 09:37 AM
Ive heard a lot of people say not to use socks as they just create more problems than they take out, any thoughts?

Aside from using a filter sock for a few hours during a water change I've never found the need to run one 24/7. Just as an example, I'd much rather have any food that goes over the falls keep making revolutions throughout the system until something can utilize it as opposed to just sitting in a sock rotting for days on end. Same goes for the clownfish fry that show up on a regular basis too. Some of my corals have a field day when this this happens and I would hate to deprive them of that.
When I really stir things up then I'll put that filter sock to good use, but until that time comes I just don't see the point.

A sea K
05/03/2017, 10:42 AM
http://i654.photobucket.com/albums/uu262/greenirons/120%20Gallon/018%20Sump%20Top%20Down_zpsg8lw9xta.jpg (http://s654.photobucket.com/user/greenirons/media/120%20Gallon/018%20Sump%20Top%20Down_zpsg8lw9xta.jpg.html)

http://i654.photobucket.com/albums/uu262/greenirons/120%20Gallon/120%20tank%20and%20Corals%20001_zpsms3mtj29.jpg (http://s654.photobucket.com/user/greenirons/media/120%20Gallon/120%20tank%20and%20Corals%20001_zpsms3mtj29.jpg.html)

This is the best arrangement for me and nearly identical to the DIY 40 breeder I made into a sump.

thegrun
05/03/2017, 10:50 AM
Aside from using a filter sock for a few hours during a water change I've never found the need to run one 24/7. Just as an example, I'd much rather have any food that goes over the falls keep making revolutions throughout the system until something can utilize it as opposed to just sitting in a sock rotting for days on end. Same goes for the clownfish fry that show up on a regular basis too. Some of my corals have a field day when this this happens and I would hate to deprive them of that.
When I really stir things up then I'll put that filter sock to good use, but until that time comes I just don't see the point.

Bulk Reef Supply just ran an experiment with filter socks and they were proven to reduce nitrates and phosphates when changed twice a week. There is a smaller benefit if you change them out weekly or every other week.

AlSimmons
05/03/2017, 11:03 AM
Bulk Reef Supply just ran an experiment with filter socks and they were proven to reduce nitrates and phosphates when changed twice a week. There is a smaller benefit if you change them out weekly or every other week.

I don't really see how this applies to me being that I'm not having any problems with both Phosphates and Nitrates without using a filter sock, but I'd love to see the experiment if you can post it.

Btw, where are the Phosphates and Nitrates coming from in this experiment? Tap water, dry rock, overfeeding, overstocking etc? Couldn't you just nip some of these in the bud first? Better husbandry perhaps? A filter sock just doesn't sound like the go to approach when dealing with these things IMO.

Elricsfate
05/03/2017, 12:04 PM
I don't really see how this applies to me being that I'm not having any problems with both Phosphates and Nitrates without using a filter sock, but I'd love to see the experiment if you can post it.

Btw, where are the Phosphates and Nitrates coming from in this experiment? Tap water, dry rock, overfeeding, overstocking etc? Couldn't you just nip some of these in the bud first? Better husbandry perhaps? A filter sock just doesn't sound like the go to approach when dealing with these things IMO.

It's on YouTube. On BRStv. BRS Investigates. Probably best just to subscribe to the channel. They do something new every week, and all of it is informative. And some of it debunks things you read on various forums repeated like gospel.

AlSimmons
05/03/2017, 12:27 PM
I'll just take yours and thegruns word for it that it's a very imformative experiment. Thanks for the heads up though. :)

sde1500
05/03/2017, 01:36 PM

Yea my Eshopps sump has the extra back section. Honestly can't even see it so I'll have to see when I get home how much has actually accumulated there over the past year. I don't run a sock in the sock section anyway, so don't really care, but now I'm curious.

Main reason I don't like it is fish can get there if you don't have the overflow blocked. And BOY is it hard to get them from that tiny little area.

thegrun
05/03/2017, 03:08 PM
I'll just take yours and thegruns word for it that it's a very imformative experiment. Thanks for the heads up though. :)

http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/video/view/brstv-investigates-what-do-filter-socks-do-for-you/

sde1500
05/03/2017, 07:13 PM

One year and 3 months of detritus in there. Not bad really. And there is like a dozen amphipods living there so it's cool.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170504/a31ed9d9f6b249290942951a8a83b42b.jpg

And for the OP. This is my sump.
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170504/c945eb70620062eaa99eee68d90056ed.jpg

ladynavyvet
05/04/2017, 07:05 AM
I have zero sump experience, I'm using a canister filter system for my 40 gallon, live stock tank.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk