PDA

View Full Version : First in

gareth.hubbarde
05/02/2017, 04:44 AM
Tank seems to have finished cycling. Tests this week ammonia 0, nitrite 0, nitrate some.

Might pop up Lfs later, thinking 2 turbo snails 3 nassarius snails, 2 red hermits. Was going to get pair of clowns too but will probably leave them for now. Only from what people say seems to be a debate on having a CUC with no fish in a new tank.
What would people do?

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

deputydawg88
05/02/2017, 04:47 AM
I'd get the two turbos first and let them settle for a week, followed by the others.

Cliving1
05/02/2017, 04:49 AM
Go ahead and add a small cuc. I would do 1 turbo. What size tank?

gareth.hubbarde
05/02/2017, 04:55 AM
94l, think it's about 24 gallon

gareth.hubbarde
05/02/2017, 04:55 AM
1 turbo, 3 nassarius and 2 hermits?

mcgyvr
05/02/2017, 05:06 AM
1 turbo, 3 nassarius and 2 hermits?

Sounds good to me..

gareth.hubbarde
05/02/2017, 05:09 AM
Thank you for opinions. Looking forward to seeing how the tank evolves over next year and beyond.

gareth.hubbarde
05/02/2017, 08:15 AM
So was able to get 1 Mexican turbo snail, 3 red legged hermit crabs and only 2 nassarius snails.

Dale_M
05/02/2017, 09:31 AM
Pictures... or it didn't happen :)

mcgyvr
05/02/2017, 10:05 AM
Now you must name them...and hug them and squeeze them and call one George..

And good choice on the "red legs".. I find them to be "better" and less "bullies" than the blue leg from my experience..

Dale_M
05/02/2017, 12:54 PM
Yes... and when they misbehave you stroke their fur the wrong way, yup.

deputydawg88
05/02/2017, 03:59 PM
Now you must name them...and hug them and squeeze them and call one George..

And good choice on the "red legs".. I find them to be "better" and less "bullies" than the blue leg from my experience..

I'm a little new but from my experience it can depend on the individual at times. I had four red legged hermits, one mysteriously died. I decided to get four more and of those, three also died. My wife caught one of the hermits bullying another one (of the three), which was out of its shell trying to defend itself. I broke up the fight but the hermit defending itself unfortunately lost a claw and I think maybe a leg and then a few days ago it died. It was trying to get their shells, which were the same size as the one it already had but it seemed to ignore the plethora of differently sized shells I have provided that it could inhabit peacefully. This one hermit has since found a bigger shell but he still has a habit of bullying the others from time to time.

I can't be sure that hermit was the reason the others died but there's evidence it potentially caused at least one of the deaths. I'm now in two minds as to whether I want to replace any hermits that expire in the future.

deputydawg88
05/02/2017, 04:01 PM
I'm a little new but from my experience it can depend on the individual at times. I had four red legged hermits, one mysteriously died. I decided to get four more and of those, three also died. My wife caught one of the hermits bullying another one (of the three), which was out of its shell trying to defend itself. I broke up the fight but the hermit defending itself unfortunately lost a claw and I think maybe a leg and then a few days ago it died. It was trying to get their shells, which were the same size as the one it already had but it seemed to ignore the plethora of differently sized shells I have provided that it could inhabit peacefully. This one hermit has since found a bigger shell but he still has a habit of bullying the others from time to time.

I can't be sure that hermit was the reason the others died but there's evidence it potentially caused at least one of the deaths. I'm now in two minds as to whether I want to replace any hermits that expire in the future.

Should read "a few days later".

gareth.hubbarde
05/02/2017, 11:39 PM
So one nassarius snail is buried in the sand (normal) the other one is exploring all the rock, at the top of all the rock structure. I thought they lived in the sand, what's it doing at the top and should I move it?

farfromsea
05/02/2017, 11:49 PM
Leave it alone. Mine climb up the glass sometimes. They go into the sand during the day and come out at night (mine "wake up" at 4 pm basically on the dot every).

Your snail will be fine!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gareth.hubbarde
05/02/2017, 11:55 PM
Thank you for that. Was a bit worried it couldn't find the sand.

gareth.hubbarde
05/03/2017, 12:52 AM
Climbing the wall has a litteral meaning! https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170503/6b2541a517acfb3fc4c7078061850bd4.jpg