PDA

View Full Version : Should I have waited a certain amount of time before adding SPS?

Fat_cat
05/02/2017, 07:18 AM
Hello. Just to give some background info: I kept an SPS tank a few years ago, and am returning to the hobby after a hiatus. In the past I was able to add SPS to my tank and had them thrive with very little effort on my part, but that was a larger tank, and I was using established live rock from another system.

I added a montipora cap to my very young tank about 2 weeks ago (1 month post-cycle). For this build I used all dry rock and did a cycle with pure ammonia. Over the last two weeks, the monti has slowly declined, losing its deep rich color and turning a tan color instead. Below are my tank parameters, with info on how much variation I've had in the time the corals were in the tank. I dose ESV 2-part and use Reef Crystals.

Temp: 78.4 F, max swing of 0.5 degrees
SG: 1.024, no swing
Calcium: 415, no swing
Alk: 8.4 dkh, max swing of 1 dkh (is this the issue?)
Nitrate: 5 ppm
Phosphate: 0 ppm
PH: 7.8 (not sure if this swings at night)
Magnesium: 1300
Potassium: 410

I will attach a picture ASAP. I actually got a very large frag which I broke into 4 pieces, and even tried them in different degrees of light/flow. But all of the pieces still suffered (some more than others). I have LED lights and acclimated the frags.

Can anyone offer some insight on why this is happening? Is it just that a young tank can't support SPS? Should I have waited longer?

Thanks

Stolireef
05/02/2017, 07:54 AM
Please describe lights and flow

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

GimpyFin
05/02/2017, 07:56 AM
Based on what you have listed, your water parameters look ok. My first inclination if they are browning would be lighting (Not enough.) Do you have any more details about your LED lights? (What type, intensity, spectrum, how high off the water, etc.)

scooter31707
05/02/2017, 08:36 AM
Your parameters looks good. IME, I have had great success with the monti caps towards the bottom of the tank. I use LEDs myself. You stated that it's turning a tan color, indicates that it may not be getting enough light.

Fat_cat
05/02/2017, 09:19 AM
My lighting: Ocean Revive arctic t247 LED unit, 8" off the water (2x red 660 nm, 2x green 520 nm, 8x Blue 470 nm, 16x royal blue 450 nm, 6x violet 420 nm, 8x 12000k, 6x 10000k... dunno if that's the spectrum info you need as I am new to LED, always did T5HO before).

Flow: vortech mp10 on max setting, plus flow from return pump. This is a 57 gal tank btw. I don't think insufficient flow is the problem only because one of the 4 pieces of the frag was placed in direct blasted flow and that one did the worst of all the pieces, even at the same height/lighting. Here's how they fared in general:
-piece #1 (low-mid height, direct light, low-med flow): best but still deteriorating
-pieces #2 and 3 (sand bed, one in direct light and one in shade, low flow): worse than #1
-piece #4 (mid height blasted with direct flow): worst of all of them

I didn't try any at the top of the tank.

zsuman101
05/02/2017, 09:54 AM
The reef is too young, the only way I have set up a reef in a month was by taking live rock out of another established reef (with good and diverse sponge growth) and setting it up. You can set up an sps reef in one day with quality cured live rock. Ime no reef is ready for sps until a diverse sponge population is jamming. Good luck... zsu

GimpyFin
05/02/2017, 10:29 AM
That light should be fine. It can take a little fussing to get LEDs dialed in so they are providing enough light but not too much where stuff starts bleaching, IMO/IME. I would try and move the montis up and/or bring the light intensity up a little.

Fat_cat
05/02/2017, 02:28 PM
Here's a pic with the lights off (makes it easy to see the faded/damaged parts). Ignore the big white spot, that's the flash.
It was doing much better until I turned up the lights... maybe I acclimated too fast? I can turn them back down since it's the only coral in the tank...

GimpyFin
05/02/2017, 02:57 PM
Generally if the light is too intense, it will start to bleach instead of turning brown. Do you know what percentages you are running each of the different color channels at? Do you have a pic with the lights on?

Fat_cat
05/02/2017, 04:45 PM
I am running the blues at 90% and the full spectrum at 55%. I started at 45/30 and dialed each up 5-10% every 3 days or so. Was that too fast?

Attached is a pic in the current lighting. I tried to post the one with photoshop temperature adjustment but it told me upload failed, so I have to post the original which is completely blue... the pics with the lights off give a good idea of where the colors have faded (which you can see in person under regular lighting but not in pics)

ReeferNoob4ever
05/02/2017, 05:16 PM
I'm a noob so this might be way off but...my understanding is browning out is caused by an overgrowth of xoozenthle (spelling I know) aka the algae that supports the coral. Two issues can cause this, too much nitrate or too much light. From your description I'd say too much light.

Fat_cat
05/02/2017, 05:21 PM
I'm a noob so this might be way off but...my understanding is browning out is caused by an overgrowth of xoozenthle (spelling I know) aka the algae that supports the coral. Two issues can cause this, too much nitrate or too much light. From your description I'd say too much light.

I should clarify and say that although they are turning tan/brown, it's a very light color, lighter than the rich green they were before and appearing almost white with the lights off (first pic). I don't know if this is different than your typical "browning out" where the color doesn't necessarily fade in intensity, it just changes to brown as opposed to the original color

GimpyFin
05/02/2017, 05:42 PM

Close, it's generally high nutrients and/or lack of light. Too intense of light will cause bleaching. If Nitrate is at 5 and phos is low, nutrient parameters should be ok for this coral. That's why I think lighting is more the issue. It's also hard to tell how corals will initially adjust/respond to lighting changes. I have a couple good sized montiporas in my tank and a small frag of a chili pepper montipora. After changing lights a few months ago (LED to different LED) all corals did exceptionally well except for the chili pepper which browned out.