PDA

View Full Version : Do you turn your lights off & pumps low at night?

Stickboy97
05/02/2017, 08:54 AM
Just wondering what everyone's light & pump schedule is like at night & how long.

Currently my lights are totally off for about 12 hrs every night. At the same time my pumps go into lagoon mode & go down to 10%.

Should I run my blues all night like moonlight?
Should I increase the pumps some?

thx

CoralNerd
05/02/2017, 08:59 AM
Well I had one of my pumps turn down to 60% at night however when the pump turns back on it triggered the ato to turn on. Ultimately I wanted consistency of water parameters so I stopped doing that. I do have my mp40 turn down though. I have my gyre pump ramp up to give the night a different flow. [emoji1]

DivingTheWorld
05/02/2017, 10:34 AM
I run my lights from 10am - 9pm. My Vortechs run at 85% Reef Crest Anti-Sych 24/7. I dive reefs, both day and night and have not experienced a difference in flow between the two. I prefer to keep my tank as natural as possible, so lots of flow, all the time.

WatDatThing
05/02/2017, 11:52 AM
Lights off and the Jebao PH is on night mode. The 2nd PH is running as normal. All the dishes are in the rock work when the light goes out. I don't think the flow affect them.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

jd371
05/02/2017, 11:56 AM
Lights are on from 10am-9pm. About an hour after the lights go off the pumps drop down to 30% from 80%. I had the pumps (Jebao) drop to 10% originally, but they would tend to seize overnight at the slower speed so through trial and error I bumped it up to 30%. I like to slow the pumps at night because I have a lot of turbulent flow in my tank during the day and figured the inhabitants could use a break at night.

reefmutt
05/02/2017, 12:34 PM
I am completely dark from 10:30p to 8:30 a.
I leave my pumps on normal daytime flow..
My feeling is that the night time is already a low oxygen time period, so I don't want to potentially lower oxygen levels further by lowering flow.

Stickboy97
05/02/2017, 03:53 PM
I figured I might be doing something wrong. When I had jabeo pumps they went to night mode, but I was fish only. Now I have corals and figured they probably needed the flow.

Looks like I'll be turning them back up.

thanks for the info!

adtravels
05/02/2017, 09:24 PM
I do drop my flow at night to about 3/4 the power of the day if only to quiet things down and minimise heat and power consumption.

hbrochs
05/03/2017, 09:48 AM
Lights completely off at night, and powerheads down to 20%.
I have two MP10s that run full blast all day and they get hot, so I turn them down at night to rest the powerheads as much as to let the animals rest a little.

Piper27
05/03/2017, 10:10 AM
I don't have much faith that the animals actually get more "rest" with flow lowered at night. I have heard a lot of people talk about this but never noticed any of my fish experiencing trouble at night from lots of flow. They find good areas to sit at night pretty easily even with heavy flow night and day. I think the more the fish move the healthier they are and to add to that a very constant quality diet and health and quality of the fish improves more. Also I agree with reefmutt, a lot of fish benifit from a well oxygenated tank. I have also heard most reefs don't have much change in flow at night like diving the world said.

Breadman03
05/03/2017, 10:52 AM
I don't have much faith that the animals actually get more "rest" with flow lowered at night. I have heard a lot of people talk about this but never noticed any of my fish experiencing trouble at night from lots of flow. They find good areas to sit at night pretty easily even with heavy flow night and day. I think the more the fish move the healthier they are and to add to that a very constant quality diet and health and quality of the fish improves more. Also I agree with reefmutt, a lot of fish benifit from a well oxygenated tank. I have also heard most reefs don't have much change in flow at night like diving the world said.

I hear a great Coral Labs study for Ecotech Marine.

Posted the question for them-http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?p=25070834#post25070834

shih87
05/03/2017, 10:54 AM
When light off, skimmer off two hours for feeding and wave maker move to night mode (less power).

bshow24
05/03/2017, 11:27 PM
As was mentioned before, the ocean doesn't turn down it's flow at night, so I don't either :)

shih87
05/04/2017, 12:05 AM
ocean won't fixed, point time feeding either ;-)

Piper27
05/04/2017, 03:50 AM
I hear a great Coral Labs study for Ecotech Marine.

Posted the question for them-http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?p=25070834#post25070834

Someone did a study or is about to do a study? If it's for echotech marine, a company who sells products that ramp flow up and down, I would have trouble with it. Even though they have nice products.

Breadman03
05/04/2017, 05:46 AM
Someone did a study or is about to do a study? If it's for echotech marine, a company who sells products that ramp flow up and down, I would have trouble with it. Even though they have nice products.

I think it would be a good idea for them to do one, similar to their lighting studies.

ladynavyvet
05/04/2017, 07:29 AM
My lights are on a programmed system, my tank comes to full daylight at 1pm, and sunsets around 8pm, moving on into moonlight for around 3 hours, then dark for the balance of the night. My pump, which is my canister system, and the 2 recirculation fans in the tank run 24 hours a day at the same rate. My few corals, and the rest of the residents in my tank seem to like it the way it is.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk