PDA

View Full Version : Any one tried instant ocean with zeovit?

awais98
05/02/2017, 09:14 PM
As zeovit requires NSW levels, wondering if any one tried the Instant Ocean salt and if yes what was their results.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

awais98
05/03/2017, 07:52 PM
No one????

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jduck
05/04/2017, 08:06 AM
Isn't the alk too high?

jayball
05/04/2017, 10:18 AM
Should be okay as long as you adjust ALK with muratic acid prior to the change. I do not Zeovit though so take it FWIW.

bked120
05/15/2017, 07:42 AM
I have a zeovit reef tank and use HW-Marine Reefer salt mix without issues. Prior to setting up my zeovit system I used instant ocean and I always had a brown residue in my mixing container. For this alone I won't use IO anymore. I'm sure this was extra nutrients that is not need in a system the is ultra low nutrients to begin with. I would take a look at the HW-Marine mix or the KZ Reefer's Best salt mix. I have also found that the frequency and quantity of my water changes is less with Zeovit.

zsuman101
05/15/2017, 09:49 AM
Yes , the brown crap are metal detox binders and or edta. I use hw reefer salt it is pure synthetic salt no edta or chelates to gunk up in your mixing barrel, or your reef

Tigé21v
05/27/2017, 07:21 AM
Just use muriatic acid to knock down the alk.

Tigé21v
05/27/2017, 07:33 AM
I have a zeovit reef tank and use HW-Marine Reefer salt mix without issues. Prior to setting up my zeovit system I used instant ocean and I always had a brown residue in my mixing container. For this alone I won't use IO anymore. I'm sure this was extra nutrients that is not need in a system the is ultra low nutrients to begin with. I would take a look at the HW-Marine mix or the KZ Reefer's Best salt mix. I have also found that the frequency and quantity of my water changes is less with Zeovit.
Used to have the same problem. But I started using muriatic acid to bring the alk down to around 8.0. I add a bag of IO to 46-47 gallons of water. After a couple of minutes, I add 18 ml of muriatic acid. Brings the alk down to around 8.0, 1.0265 SG. Test the alk level and SG, add more if needed.
And it mixes gin clear in a very short time. With absolutely no residue.
However, you do need to aerate it vigorously for a while. The acid really drops the ph. I can get a way with 12 hrs, but usually try to give it 24 hrs.
I'm pretty sure IO doesn't add any nutrients. (Part of the reason for its lower price). I think the residue is from the binders they (and many salt manufacturers) add to the salt. I think the high alk causes them to precipitate out onto the sides of the container.

jda
06/05/2017, 09:40 AM
My IO mixes up clear too. 50G bag to 44G of cold RO. Mix. Heat. 20mls of Muratic. 2 TBPS of Dowflake. Mix for a day more until PH is back up. Perfect every time.