PDA

View Full Version : Return PVC Pipe Vibration???

GovernorG
05/04/2017, 09:40 AM
Hey Everyone...

I reset up my system last night and noticed that the PVC pipe located in my overflow (the pipe which returns the water to the tank) is vibrating. Everything is tightly secured and I have no leaking anywhere. Anyone have any ideas as to why this would be vibrating?

Could it be the amount of flow? Or to much flow?

Current tank info: 75G tank utilizing a 750gph pump

sde1500
05/04/2017, 09:42 AM
It is the pump itself probably that is vibrating the pipe. I know many, myself included, use a length of flexible piping first before the hard PVC. It reduces vibrations.

GovernorG
05/04/2017, 10:03 AM
So I am running flex tubing from the pump directly to the return. I do have a float valve in between for flow control.

billdogg
05/04/2017, 10:06 AM
So I am running flex tubing from the pump directly to the return. I do have a float valve in between for flow control.

I assume you mean a check valve? IMHO, not only are they not needed, they can create a false sense of security and will fail when you need them most.

As for the vibration - try isolating the pump from the sump as well. I sit mine on a silicone hot pad to reduce that source of vibration as much as possible.

mcgyvr
05/04/2017, 10:06 AM
You need "dampening/isolation"...
Vibration LOVES a solid/hard connection.. It will run right across that all day long..

A short length of flex tubing provides dampening... Rubber pads between piping and any hard surface or clamp does too..

A sea K
05/04/2017, 12:43 PM
Hey Everyone...

I reset up my system last night and noticed that the PVC pipe located in my overflow (the pipe which returns the water to the tank) is vibrating. Everything is tightly secured and I have no leaking anywhere.

Current tank info: 75G tank utilizing a 750gph pump

I would guess your pump is not too strong once head loss is factored in it is probably just about right. Is there anyway you could possibly zip tie the return pipe to overflow teeth as a temporary measure? Being a new system it is possible once everything has settled down and the inside of the pipes develop a slime coating the issue will resolve itself.

ca1ore
05/04/2017, 02:09 PM
If by 'flex tubing' you mean something like spa flex PVC I will tell you from experience that it transmits vibration almost as well as the hard PVC. You'd need to use flexible silicone tubing to get any kind of dampening. Did you try just clamping the tube to a stand support. I strap my flex PVC to the leg of my sump stand which quite effectively damps any vibrations.

mcgyvr
05/04/2017, 05:14 PM
vinyl tube is fine.. silicone is better..
But yes.. spa flex does still transmit vibration fairly well..

GovernorG
05/05/2017, 05:42 PM
I appreciate all the responses and thank you all for your time, I am going to see what happens over the next few months and monitor the situation or just take and connect it to the overflow with some zip ties. Thanks again!