PDA

View Full Version : Candy Cane coral

ferguccini
05/06/2017, 06:53 AM
I don't seem to be having much luck with corals the only thing that seems to thrive in my tank is kenya trees

I bought a candy cane coral about three weeks ago and it's gradually been in decline for the past 5 days it's been closed completely.

I also purchased a hammer coral and pretty much the same results

I've tested my params and every thing looks ok

Salinity 1.026
Alkalinity 11
Nitrate 40ppm
Nitrite 0
Ammonia 0
Phosphate 0.1
Calcium 500
Magnesium 1700

I have a aqua illumination prime HD running at 80% for everything except white is 30%

Any advice would be much appreciated

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AlSimmons
05/06/2017, 05:18 PM
Both your Nitrate & Magnesium are pretty high. Your Calcium is a little high too, although I'm not sure if those numbers would cause your corals to decline like that. The link below might help.

http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-05/rhf/index.htm

Btw, where are you placing the corals once you get them and what kind of fish/invertebrates do you have in your tank?

ferguccini
05/07/2017, 10:39 AM
Both your Nitrate & Magnesium are pretty high. Your Calcium is a little high too, although I'm not sure if those numbers would cause your corals to decline like that. The link below might help.

http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-05/rhf/index.htm

Btw, where are you placing the corals once you get them and what kind of fish/invertebrates do you have in your tank?

The tank has a mixture of fire shrimp and cleaner shrimp and various yellow, regal and lipstick tangs with some damsel fish

The corals are placed in the centre of the tank on the sand

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mcgyvr
05/10/2017, 12:19 PM
I've tested my params and every thing looks ok

ok? compared to what?
As stated your nitrates are HIGH.. Mag is way high.. cal is high.. alk is right at the upper limit..

What size tank do you have?
How long has tank been setup?
How high is light?
Got pictures?
etc...