PDA

View Full Version : A good word for Tampa Bay Saltwater from New Mexico

MTHensley
05/06/2017, 12:35 PM
I stumbled upon Tampa Bay Saltwater in this forum while searching the internet for reef tank rock. What sold me on this option was the idea of real, live rock and sand, harvested from the ocean, with all of its potential for a whole host of life to come with it. This was re-enforced by all of the positive feedback you find about Tampa Bay Saltwater. I also appreciate the conservation aspect of it.
I have not been disappointed. Received my first half of the package on 3/27/17. Received the second half of the package on 4/22/17. Almost everything I have received has survived and thrived. After just less than 6 weeks my tank is teeming with life. My wife and I spend hours searching through the tank with magnifying glasses looking for and finding something new daily. Tampa Bay was very easy to deal with, they stay on top of their correspondence and know how to ship this stuff effectively.
Only one negative to mention (sorry). In the rock package of the second shipment it seemed the water level was too low and about Ĺ of the rock was exposed when at rest. It didnít seem that the package had leaked as the exterior was dry. A coral on one of the rocks was damaged (it seems to be recovering). Also in this bag were approximately 6 expired crabs. While re-arranging one of the same rocks a few days later, we found that it had a bad odor. Couldnít identify where exactly on the rock it was coming from so we decided to remove the entire rock from the tank. I am guessing that this package was handled roughly during the flight, damaging the coral and increasing the volume of the bag. All of the bagged critters in the other package were fine.
All in all, we love our reef tank. Thank you very much Tampa Bay Saltwater.

MTHensley
05/06/2017, 01:04 PM
Some more pictures

MTHensley
05/06/2017, 01:06 PM
more pictures

KingOfAll_Tyrants
05/13/2017, 08:15 AM
Very nice rock and very nicely arranged. It looks like this was all the Walt Smith 2.1 reef rock?

How much rock did you get for what size of tank? I like that kind of aquascape, and would like to know how much I should order. :)

MTHensley
05/23/2017, 08:54 AM
Not sure on the type of rock. My tank is a 30 gallon, really 27.3. I ordered the 25 gallon package. According to the Package pricing chart we received 50lbs of rock and 25lbs of sand. I didn't try to verify. Seemed like we received a little too much rock.

Rilelen
05/23/2017, 10:37 AM
Wow, I really love all the life on the rocks....I've never ordered from TBS, but I may have to rethink that decision for my next tank! It looks like you ordered a couple...gorgonians and sponges as well? What are they exactly? I love the look of them.

MTHensley
05/23/2017, 03:42 PM
Not certain but I believe the TBS website lists the Gorgonians as Candelabra and the sponges as Orange sponge.

KingOfAll_Tyrants
05/24/2017, 09:52 PM
Not sure on the type of rock. My tank is a 30 gallon, really 27.3. I ordered the 25 gallon package. According to the Package pricing chart we received 50lbs of rock and 25lbs of sand. I didn't try to verify. Seemed like we received a little too much rock.

Thanks! I like the aquascape and the amount of rock you received, so I think I'll try to order about the same proportion.