PDA

View Full Version : Frogspawn Coral issue

Ralij
05/06/2017, 12:46 PM
Hello! I'm a fairly new and have managed to keep a tank solely on the advice of the lfs for about a year but recent events have given me a lot of reason to doubt the advice they've given me (advice to get incompatable tankmates, for one) so I'm here to ask.

I have a frogspawn coral with three heads. When the main one split a second time for the third head the second head shrank down and is now very small and off to the side. It has two nice heads that are open and extended though. What are reasons it might do this?

Are each of the heads a separate individual or are they growths of the same?

Thank you.

Pond Boy
05/06/2017, 12:49 PM
What are the tank perimeters?

Ralij
05/06/2017, 04:55 PM
I'm not entirely certain , every time there has been an issue I take it to the lfs and they said everything looked good. I've come to realize I lean far too heavily on then for things like this... will pick up a kit on Monday to give exact numbers.

imjdoggie
05/08/2017, 08:52 AM
I have been in the same boat and felt like I have been flying by the seat of my pants. I have also had the same situation and eventually had to give the frogspawn to a friend or it would have been totally dead. Can you post a pic so we can see it?

Start doing some reading, get a kit, and understand that everyone is an expert and will give you different advice. I have come to realize what works for some will not work for all, every tank is different even if you setup 2 using the exact same stuff, everything will react differently.

I am now doing weekly water changes, dipping corals and eliminating some things my lfs told me would be ok. You'll get there it just takes some time to learn. And we have to remember most lfs are there to make money not give free advice which is understandable.

Post some pics of your tank so we can see and some of the seasoned vets I'm sure will offer advice-suggestions.

Ralij
05/11/2017, 09:43 PM
I have been in the same boat and felt like I have been flying by the seat of my pants. I have also had the same situation and eventually had to give the frogspawn to a friend or it would have been totally dead. Can you post a pic so we can see it?

Start doing some reading, get a kit, and understand that everyone is an expert and will give you different advice. I have come to realize what works for some will not work for all, every tank is different even if you setup 2 using the exact same stuff, everything will react differently.

I am now doing weekly water changes, dipping corals and eliminating some things my lfs told me would be ok. You'll get there it just takes some time to learn. And we have to remember most lfs are there to make money not give free advice which is understandable.

Post some pics of your tank so we can see and some of the seasoned vets I'm sure will offer advice-suggestions.

Thank you for the advice. Dipping corals? Got the kit so here are the readings. Will try to get a picture as soon as I get some maintenance done on it.

Ammonia, Nitrites, and Phosphates are at 0ppm
Nitrates are at 20 ppm (Which is high for reef tank, no? Going to do a 50% change for this...)
pH is 7.8
Calcium is 400ppm
dKH is 9

bcb577
05/11/2017, 11:44 PM
I would definitely start with the water change I like to keep nitrates to under 20 ppm.

alton
05/12/2017, 05:39 AM
Nitrates at 20, not bad 0 phosphates is. Frogspawn does fine in dirtier water with very little flow, and they like when you over feed your tank.
http://i903.photobucket.com/albums/ac237/Altonv1/Planet%20180%202016/IMG_1466_zpst0wncd6o.jpg (http://s903.photobucket.com/user/Altonv1/media/Planet%20180%202016/IMG_1466_zpst0wncd6o.jpg.html)

imjdoggie
05/12/2017, 08:34 AM
I am having to dip my Zoa's, I have a nudibranch problem. Dipping prevents pests.........also as alton has said I have noticed my frogspawn and torchs do not like a lot of flow which suprises me.

And I would start with a 20% water change first you do not want to have any drastic changes is my opinion.