PDA

View Full Version : to upgarde or sell?

Stickboy97
05/07/2017, 06:40 PM
I have 4 used mp 40's I've purchased over time (currently 2 WWD & 2 WES) and I've been debating, should I sell all 4 and buy 2 new QD or upgrade these? I'm running the 2 WES on my tank now and they are kind of loud (they're in my office).

Have they upgraded or changed the drysides over the years? What makes the QD so quiet, the driver or the wet side? Is the $74 or $120 driver upgrade worth it?

thx

Stickboy97
05/09/2017, 06:18 PM
No thoughts on upgrading? Anyone done it?

Breadman03
05/09/2017, 07:20 PM
I upgraded from WES to QD. The way the driver pulses power to the dry side accounts for almost all of the noise reduction, but the new wet sides are many times better than the old ones. The bearing supports the prop from end to end instead of being just one little bearing at the base. I did drivers and wet sides, and it took maybe 10-15 minutes before coffee in the morning.

The main difference between the old and the QD dry side is that the new dry side allows for something like 40% more flow that can only be achieved with all QD parts.

My thoughts: upgrade if you have enough flow. Get new if you could use just a little more, and get 60's if you need a lot more :D

Stickboy97
05/12/2017, 10:28 AM
Thanks, this is the type of info I really needed. I don't even have these turned up all the way, I think I have plenty of flow in my 105g.

jccaclimber
05/14/2017, 05:24 PM
Just confirmation of the above. I've done the driver upgrade on 60's (haven't had occasion to do it on a 40 yet), and they are lots quieter due to how the motor is controlled.

Other than the drivers on my MP60's, I've been replacing parts as they go bad, although I've only had one MP-anything wet side go in the years I've had them, and it was on its way out when I bought it used. I have had to replace the bearings in one 60 and two 40's, but it wasn't all that hard in the end. If you're happy with the flow and the noise is the usual motor noise rather than bearing noise I would just replace the driver.