PDA

View Full Version : Help identify these worms?

Zik
05/07/2017, 07:10 PM
Hey Guys,

So I'm having a bit of difficulty identifying these guys, and how 'good' or 'bad' they may be. Reached out to a couple reefers (thanks guys), who suggested it may be a type of eunicid or fulgida worm. I did notice I had 2x turbo snails go the past week, and another one seemed pretty weak, but i placed it back upright and its back on the glass now.

Tanks been up since Christmas, and first time noticing these guys. What made them come out was after lights went out, it was my first time using Oyster Feast to feed my corals. 5 minutes later checking with a blue flashlight, these guys occasionally came out, swimming, 1 at a time.

I'm able to catch them with a turkey baster (reverse suction), and caught 3 the first night over a 30 minute period, and 4 last night. Biggest one was 2+ inches, and smallest was a baby around 2-3 mm

Here's the best pic I could take, and a video as well. Love to hear anyone's input on if they're good, or if they're bad and how to eradicate them!

Besides the snails, I haven't noticed anything 'wrong' in the tank that these guys could be causing. Yes I had some rtn/stn issues, but I'm still dialing everything in (tank was fallow, very low nutrients [raising them now], had too strong flow, wasn't acclimating frags to lights, etc), so I don't think these guys caused any of those issues.

Most are translucent, some are darker, but all seem to have the same anatomy (Notice all the eggs in the pic.... not reassuring one bit!)
Thanks!!!

Everything that has gone in the tank has been through a Bayer Dip btw.

<iframe width="853" height="480" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Wj3rs6S0D9E" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

http://ft.trillian.im/ed9b509f0c2755c2f353959dfd6171f6f14219c5/6Qihsp0Gj0Jcv4IendLqTmfmxqtLh.jpg

eastlake
05/08/2017, 06:45 AM
In my opinion they look like eunicid worms. I can't say that they're yet big enough to take out your snails but if left to their own devices to grow then they eventually would be. Since they're still so small I would continue to turkey baster them out, and maybe use a bristle worm trap. I would think it would work for the small ones, big ones would make short work of the trap. Anyhow, hopefully some folks much wiser than myself can also chime in and offer up their opinions as well.

Sugar Magnolia
05/08/2017, 07:06 AM
They look like dorvilleidae worms. Have a look here...http://chucksaddiction.thefishestate.net/hitchworms.html

Zik
05/08/2017, 02:56 PM
Thank you both very much!

CPdude
06/05/2017, 11:24 PM
Those are definitely not eunicids in my opinion. I have 3 eunicids in my tank which I leave alone and they do absolutely no damage and are great at clearing up large uneaten food at night. +1 to sugar magnolia, those are dorvilleidae worms, I have quite a few I saw once in my tank swimming at night or on the sand, harmless and cool to know I have different worms in my tank.

Sent from my LG-H650 using Tapatalk