PDA

View Full Version : Apex Heartbeat

vanburen
05/08/2017, 02:44 PM
Folks - I'm in the process of setting up my dream tank and had been planning to protect my wifi connection and apex with ups devices so I could get power out alarms.

We had to settle on an imperfect fios install that would have required two separate ups units just to maintain internet, one of which by the power supply to the external box which sadly lives in our dining room.

So I can't smoothly protect the internet which had me disappointed. However, I can still protect the apex, for brief load shifting needs. And with heartbeat, I get an alert when we lose power or signal anyway.

Am I missing something or does this new heartbeat feature really rock?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JustinFromAL
05/08/2017, 07:42 PM
It's pretty solid, just make sure you have it configured correctly and TEST TEST TEST!

Optionman
05/10/2017, 08:28 AM
if hard wiring the apex to your access point (router) is possible i'd recommend that over using wi-fi connection. i had numerous disconnect issues before finally hard wiring, but i'm not sure if they were attributable to poor wi-fi signal, interference by other wi-fi devices, or poor antenna on the apex. whatever the cause, hard wiring was the solution. good luck.

vanburen
05/10/2017, 08:36 AM
if hard wiring the apex to your access point (router) is possible i'd recommend that over using wi-fi connection. i had numerous disconnect issues before finally hard wiring, but i'm not sure if they were attributable to poor wi-fi signal, interference by other wi-fi devices, or poor antenna on the apex. whatever the cause, hard wiring was the solution. good luck.

I now have it hard wired. A little unclear on how to verify its working on the hard line. I was going to shut down the wireless and see if it still works. That should prove it right?

With wifi, you have to provide a password. For hardline is that required?

Optionman
05/10/2017, 09:05 AM
Hardwire works same way when u open the app or login via laptop. Don't think it can be both hardwired and on wifi

BlueRoofTang
05/10/2017, 07:14 PM
The way I understand it, the Neptune server and your unit at home will communicate on certain intervals of time. I think of it like a "ping." If your unit doesn't send that ping to Neptune on its scheduled interval, or for a certain amount of time, the Neptune server will notify you via Heartbeat.

So if power goes out...no router, so internet is down....and Heartbeat will tell you.
If internet goes out, and power is on, Heartbeat will tell you.

The thing I don't know is when you get notified, how do you know it's a power outage that could be a problem with the tank, or if it's just internet and the Neptune is still running fine?

kurt_n
05/10/2017, 11:41 PM
The thing I don't know is when you get notified, how do you know it's a power outage that could be a problem with the tank, or if it's just internet and the Neptune is still running fine?

You're right... Fusion is just pinging your Apex looking for a response. If no response for a certain amount of time (think it's somewhere between 30 minutes and an hour), then you get a 'heartbeat' alert. It's not like if it misses one ping you get an alert. It has to miss several communication tries.

When you get the alert, there's no way to know what's going on; all Fusion knows is it can't see your Apex.

If the only issue is that your internet is down, there would be no reason for the Apex to *not* be running fine. It doesn't care one bit if the world can see it or not... it just keeps doing it's thing. If there's no power, well... there's no power. If you have your Apex on a UPS (highly recommended), then it should still be plugging away doing it's thing.

Optionman
05/12/2017, 07:25 PM
UPS?

JustinFromAL
05/13/2017, 08:05 AM
Uninterruptible Power Supply aka battery backup (https://smile.amazon.com/APC-Compact-Protector-Back-UPS-BX1000M/dp/B06VY12HW4/ref=sr_1_6?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1494680593&sr=1-6&keywords=APC+UPS).

The idea is that you plug your EB8/EB832 into a UPS and a power adapter into the wall. When your power goes off the Apex will see the loss of power to the power adapter. Since your EB8/EB832 is on the battery backup the Apex stays running and you can selectively turn stuff off and send yourself an alert with the "If Power" statement.

vanburen
05/15/2017, 09:08 PM
I'm tempted to just put one or two power heads on a ups and let the apex go off and have heartbeat tell me. Other than shutting down loads what do I need the apex for w/o power to tank? All I'd run would be circulation or air stones anyway. Does this sound reasonable?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

JustinFromAL
05/16/2017, 07:59 AM
Sure, but keep in mind if your powerheads are 0-10v or WXM controlled the apex won't be there to control them.

kurt_n
05/16/2017, 08:31 PM
...Other than shutting down loads what do I need the apex for w/o power to tank? ...

Just one example: Assuming you still had internet access during the power outage, I find it's nice to know the temperature. I've got an EB4 that's plugged into a UPS, which powers the Apex base unit and the powerheads on that EB4 to keep the water turning over. I don't have heaters hooked into the UPS because that's too much of a current draw to give me any amount of run time. So it's nice to keep an eye on the tank temp (and still get alerts based on the temp) so I know when I need to scoot home and fire up the generator. It just falls into the "I can, so why not" category of conveniences.

vanburen
05/16/2017, 09:10 PM
That makes sense. Cool idea.

wmo168
05/25/2017, 11:07 AM
Use Powerline Gigabit Ethernet Adapters, the connection is very stable, all you need is a electric outlet for both end. Make sure they are on the same panel

kurt_n
05/25/2017, 11:03 PM
If you're using Powerline adapters, just realize that they don't work without power - not so good in a power outage. If using a standalone ethernet adapter, you can power it from a UPS.