PDA

View Full Version : Euphyllia eggs

theshaman
05/09/2017, 03:31 PM
Hi reefcentral!
I noticed what appeared to be something like a baby aptasia on one of my rocks a few weeks ago.
I have never had aptasia in my tank and didn't introduce anything new that might have brought on a hitchhiker aptasia. I didn't want to risk it so I covered it up with super glue.
After reading some threads about euphyllia releasing eggs I think I might have smothered baby hammer corals. I read that they look like baby aptasia or baby mojanos. Have any of you had any euphyllia eggs grow out?
Thanks guys!

Tripod1404
05/10/2017, 01:04 PM
There are cases where euphyllia corals release eggs and sperm in captivity. But I think the chances of the eggs getting fertilized, develop and attach to a substrate is low. They have a considerably long pelagic period before statement into polyp happens. An aquarium with pumps, UV, filters is not the best place for pelagic animals.

That beeing said, euphyllias can bud and the bud can sometimes drop from the mother colony and drift away until it reaches to a stable substrate. There it will attach and grow.

Bagabaga
05/10/2017, 02:49 PM
I've had buds come loose and reattach on rocks before. So this may be what you had.