PDA

View Full Version : Green film on glass

Str8linespeed
05/09/2017, 05:58 PM
All of a sudden with in the past 2 weeks. I've started getting a green film (Im assuming algae) on the glass of my tank. I have to clean my glass about every 2 days. I have not done anything different with my tank and my feeding is still the same. About 1 week ago I changed my carbon and 2 weeks ago my GFO. Any thoughts on what is causing this?

Rilelen
05/09/2017, 06:08 PM
How old is the tank? I get waves of algae the first year or so a tank is up and running. Beyond that, any increase in nutrients (either via increased feeding, or the demise of any inhabitants) or change in lighting tends to cause a small uptick in algae for me. Did you change the carbon and GFO before or after the increase in algae? If you've been running them on your system, and they needed to be changed out, an increase in glass algae would be entirely natural and expected. If that's the case, it should decline now that you've changed them.

Other things to consider: any recent demises in the tank's inhabitants? Trapped food, or fish gone missing can decompose and cause a nutrient/algae spike. Similarly - how's your CUC? If your levels of snails or other cleaners have gone down (either through natural lifespans, or predation from hermit crabs, not enough to eat, etc.), you might notice more algae just because it's not getting cleaned off.

AlSimmons
05/09/2017, 06:13 PM
It sounds like there may be an abundance of Silicates in the system right now.

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2003/1/aafeature1

Str8linespeed
05/09/2017, 06:22 PM
How old is the tank? I get waves of algae the first year or so a tank is up and running. Beyond that, any increase in nutrients (either via increased feeding, or the demise of any inhabitants) or change in lighting tends to cause a small uptick in algae for me. Did you change the carbon and GFO before or after the increase in algae? If you've been running them on your system, and they needed to be changed out, an increase in glass algae would be entirely natural and expected. If that's the case, it should decline now that you've changed them.

Other things to consider: any recent demises in the tank's inhabitants? Trapped food, or fish gone missing can decompose and cause a nutrient/algae spike. Similarly - how's your CUC? If your levels of snails or other cleaners have gone down (either through natural lifespans, or predation from hermit crabs, not enough to eat, etc.), you might notice more algae just because it's not getting cleaned off.

Sorry I forgot to mention the age, Its just over 6 months old. The Carbon was changed because of the algae showing up on the glass, so I figured that was it, but its just continuing to grow. The GFO was just due. I have lost 4 peppermint shrimp but that was about a month ago, maybe a bit more and because of my six line wrasse that killed them.. Otherwise it appears I still have all my CUC. I probably could use a few more Trochus. The corals and fish are all accounted for and seem happy and healthy. The only other thing I changed was my lighting cycle. I was only using my lights for about 5 hours a day and I upped them to 8 hours a day. I just didnt like looking into a dark tank on the weekend.. That could be part of the issue.

I have been having higher nitrates 10-15 I would say. I also have been struggling to get my Po4 reduced. It has been holding around .05.

Str8linespeed
05/09/2017, 06:23 PM
It sounds like there may be an abundance of Silicates in the system right now.

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2003/1/aafeature1

Thanks I'll read up on it to familiarize myself. This is new to me.

bcb577
05/09/2017, 09:02 PM
During the first few months to about a year,I was getting different algae outbreaks.it's normal just clean the glass do your maintenance and check perameters and you should be good!

Rilelen
05/10/2017, 09:20 PM
The change in lighting cycle, on top of normal new tank aging, could totally have contributed; it should even out as your system stabilizes and adjusts to the new schedule. If not, check your levels, and see if you need to adjust other variables (CUC, nutrient levels, dosing, etc) to help hit an equilibrium you're happy with regarding the film algae. It sounds like your nitrate and PO4 levels have maybe been rising, as well? That, plus the extra light, could totally result in more algae on the glass.

All in all, sounds like normal new tank woes, and nothing to be too worried about. The tank needs time to mature, and you're still getting a feel for its needs. If you're already running GFO and carbon and still seeing elevated nutrient levels, larger or more aggressive WC might help temporarily...but really it's about trial-and-error in seeing what works for your tank and your lifestyle.

Str8linespeed
05/11/2017, 04:57 PM
Thanks for the reply's. I just did a 10 gallon WC today, I also cut the lighting schedule back by 2 hours for a total of 6 hours right now. I'll let the tank adjust to that for now. I also pulled all the pumps today and cleaned everything, the pump inlets where pretty scuzzy. Again thanks for the info it helps a lot.

Pond Boy
05/11/2017, 05:26 PM
Why is every one shooting for 0. phos 0. N when we all should know these are faulty numbers? Corals need food not just from light, DOC (dissolved organic compounds) are a essential food for corals strip it all away you get starving specimens.... Create a balance is creating a wonderful reef..

Str8linespeed
05/11/2017, 06:10 PM
Why is every one shooting for 0. phos 0. N when we all should know these are faulty numbers? Corals need food not just from light, DOC (dissolved organic compounds) are a essential food for corals strip it all away you get starving specimens.... Create a balance is creating a wonderful reef..

Im not sure what your referring to.. I never said I was shooting for those numbers..